What's new

How many time zones have you ridden coasters in?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

(click for link to bigger image)

The world is a big place. So big we've had to divide it into countries, hence politics. Many of us have creds (ridden coasters) in many different countries, as evident by this old thread.

But the world is also divided into time zones, also known as UTC Time Offsets. As shown in the map above, the borders for these tend to span several countries, or parts of them. Some time zones span multiple countries, some countries span multiple time zones. And most time zones have coasters in them. How many time zones have you ridden coasters in?

A few notes below:
  • There are 26 primary time zones in total (UTC+ even numbers), but some countries (most notably India) adhere to weird half-hour time zones. A shout-out to Nepal for deciding to follow UTC +5 ¾. These offset time zones bring the total number of time zones to 38.
  • As far as I can tell, there are surprisingly few time zones without any coasters at all, at least if we stick to the main ones. UTC-12, UTC-11, and UTC-10 lie in the middle of the Pacific, whose islands don't tend to be big theme park destinations, but there was one coaster on Hawaii (UTC-10) almost a hundred years ago. UTC-9 comprises Alaska a tiny French island, but neither have any amusement parks. Then there are the Atlantic time zones of UTC-2 and UTC-1, which only comprise a few islands without coasters. I had some faint hope of finding something in Cabo Verde, but if there are any, RCDB doesn't know about them. Then there's UTC+13 (Tonga) which is another Pacific one. So 7 of the primary 26 are without coasters, which is fewer than I expected. I haven't bothered to figure out how many of the half- and quarter-hour time zones have coasters in them, but it sounds reasonable that most of the continental ones contain one or two. Yes, that includes the time zone exclusive to Afghanistan.
  • UTC+11 is mostly Pacific, but appears to have a single cred in it: This little gem in Magadan, Russia. Ten bonus points for whoever has that one on their cred list.

Myself, I've been to ... umm ... UTC-4 (Florida), UTC (UK), UTC+1 (Scandinavia), UTC+4 (UAE), and UTC+8 (Malaysia). That's five, which isn't half bad. What about you?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
UTC-8
UTC-6
UTC-5
UTC
UTC+1
UTC+3
UTC+4
UTC+8

Eight in total. Spited out of at least two more this year - maybe next time.

Have also ridden the cred in Kathmandu, so have the UTC+5.75 cred. :)

Will need to now go add this to my spreadsheet for totals in each zone.

Matt N

CF Legend
Fun topic! I have only ridden in the London (UK coasters) and New York (Florida coasters) time zones!
EDIT: Whoops, forgot to do it in UTC time zones! In that case, it would be UTC and UTC -5!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've done any coasters in Mountain Time, USA!

UTC -5 (EST)
UTC -6 (CST)
UTC -8 (PST)

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Five for me:

UTC-8
UTC-7
UTC-5
UTC
UTC+1

I thought I'd have UTC-6 as well but it looks like Dollywood is at UTC-5.

Rupert

Mega Poster
Nice idea! Just 3 for me:

UTC (UK)
UTC+1 (Netherlands, Germany, France, Sweden, Spain, Denmark)
UTC-5 (New York, Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Five for me:

UTC-8
UTC-7
UTC-5
UTC
UTC+1

I thought I'd have UTC-6 as well but it looks like Dollywood is at UTC-5.
UTC -6 kicks in literally right at Holiday World (sits a few hundred feet away from the time zone border), and goes to the beginning of Colorado.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Okay, that didn't take as long as I expected. Here we go, breakdown by time zone:

FXdCqpv.png

EDIT: Need to sort those decimal places out...

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Just 3 for me:

UTC (UK)
UTC +1 (Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany)
UTC -5 (New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Myself, I've been to ... umm ... UTC-4 (Florida), UTC (UK), UTC+1 (Scandinavia), UTC+4 (UAE), and UTC+8 (Malaysia). That's five, which isn't half bad. What about you?
According to the map you posted, Florida is UTC -5. I could be the only CFer to have any UTC -4 credz (Fantasilandia).
So eight for me:
UTC +2
UTC +1
UTC
UTC -4
UTC -5
UTC -6
UTC -7
UTC -8

Waiting for @gavin to post his dozen or more...

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
UTC -6 kicks in literally right at Holiday World (sits a few hundred feet away from the time zone border), and goes to the beginning of Colorado.
I thought some of Tennessee was in UTC-6 because I remember crossing some time zone on I-81. Not to worry, I'll get some UTC-6 next time hopefully :D

Ben

CF Legend
Because of daylight savings times, the East Coast moves to UTC -4 for the Summer, and goes back to UTC -5 for Winter. So you’d have to factor that in - as you could have two time zone creds for the same park depending on what time of year you rode them! Ie Orlando in June is -4 but in December it’s -5!

Obviously that then gets complicated so maybe just count what is in the geographical ‘zones’. Depends how much of a whore you wanna be.

Reactions: ECG

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Because of daylight savings times, the East Coast moves to UTC -4 for the Summer, and goes back to UTC -5 for Winter. So you’d have to factor that in - as you could have two time zone creds for the same park depending on what time of year you rode them! Ie Orlando in June is -4 but in December it’s -5!

Obviously that then gets complicated so maybe just count what is in the geographical ‘zones’. Depends how much of a whore you wanna be.
Which is why I said "according to the map" he posted. ;)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
And let's not forget the west half of Indiana which doesn't observe daylight savings time, alongside Arizona, which also means Holiday World and Indiana Beach are sometimes in East Coast Time. ;)

Time zones are weird.

Okay, that didn't take as long as I expected. Here we go, breakdown by time zone:

FXdCqpv.png

EDIT: Need to sort those decimal places out...
<3 @Hixee speaks to my soul via chart.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
UTC -8
UTC -7
UTC -6
UTC -5
UTC -4
UTC
UTC +1
UTC +7
UTC +8

And then I've been to UTC +9 but didn't ride a coaster.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Going through my spreadsheet, I've ridden coasters in 7 different timezones;

UTC+10 (Australia) - 12 coasters (3,9%)
UTC+8 (Taiwan, Hong Kong) - 25 coasters (8,2%)
UTC+4 (UAE) - 6 coasters (2,0%)
UTC+1 (Italy, Slovenia, Germany, France, Austria, Denmark, Croatia, The Netherlands, Spain, Belgium) - 211 coasters (69,0%)
UTC (Canary Islands, UK) - 30 coasters (9,8%)
UTC-5 (Florida) - 4 coasters (1,3%)
UTC-8 (California) - 18 coasters (5,9%)

I've also been to UTC+2 (Egypt, Greece) as a kid, but didn't ride any coasters there.

UTC+11 is mostly Pacific, but appears to have a single cred in it: This little gem in Magadan, Russia. Ten bonus points for whoever has that one on their cred list.

Totally ignoring this little +2 in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, are we? ;)

Last edited:

Fi

Mega Poster
Interesting thread!

UTC -8
UTC -6
UTC -5
UTC
UTC +1
UTC +4
UTC+8

Spited out of UTC -7 and UTC +2 creds this year.

Rock

Roller Poster
UTC -8
UTC -6
UTC -5
UTC
UTC +1

Was going add UTC +2 to this list this year, but spited by pandemic.

Still yet to get out to far east ?