What's new

Universal's Epic Universe | Orlando USA | Theme Park

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
We haven’t actually had a full on Hogwarts yet, that would surely be better than any form of ‘ministry’ - nothing says fun like the unnecessary bureaucracy of a ministry!

The one thing I ask... less screens.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
We haven’t actually had a full on Hogwarts yet, that would surely be better than any form of ‘ministry’ - nothing says fun like the unnecessary bureaucracy of a ministry!
I always thought it was a massive shame that they didn't do more of Hogwarts. That's where most of the films take place after all. A fully-sized Great Hall complete with the magical ceiling would be really cool.

Matt N

CF Legend
Ooh, so a new take on Kongfrontation! If it is the flying Ford Anglia, as some say, then maybe the tech from the Kong section shown in @Lofty's photo above will be modernised and used for some sort of encounter with the Whomping Willow?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
That tech is 30 years old. They'd be able to do loads more with it now.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I don't really see why the French ministry should get that much attention? It was the setpiece of one scene in one of the movies, and not a particularly memorable scene or movie at that. At least the British ministry was featured thrice in the books and movies, four if you include the flashbacks in Goblet of Fire. It is always treated as the seat of political power in the British wizarding world, where great secrets are buried and which almost everyone has a relation to (seeing as it's the only place that appears to hire graduates from Hogwarts unless you want to be a healer, teacher, or shopkeeper, it's actually understandable - everyone has relatives who work for the Ministry in those books). The French ministry, meanwhile, is a place two characters went to once, to retrieve some McGuffin or another.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
I don't really see why the French ministry should get that much attention? It was the setpiece of one scene in one of the movies, and not a particularly memorable scene or movie at that. At least the British ministry was featured thrice in the books and movies, four if you include the flashbacks in Goblet of Fire. It is always treated as the seat of political power in the British wizarding world, where great secrets are buried and which almost everyone has a relation to (seeing as it's the only place that appears to hire graduates from Hogwarts unless you want to be a healer, teacher, or shopkeeper, it's actually understandable - everyone has relatives who work for the Ministry in those books). The French ministry, meanwhile, is a place two characters went to once, to retrieve some McGuffin or another.

It's more or less being used so that Universal doesn't have to do another London or New York. Paris was the best option, and naturally they'd feature the French Ministry there.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
Hate to update this thread with bad news, but several users (including Alicia Stella, probably the most accurate Universal insider) have heard that this project is on ice (delayed indefinitely) due to the current economic situation. Hopefully it's not cancelled outright. The extreme layoffs from a few days ago probably have something to do with this.

Super Nintendo World in Hollywood has also suffered the same fate, but that'll eventually get started again (it's a decent way into construction).

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
Hate to update this thread with bad news, but several users (including Alicia Stella, probably the most accurate Universal insider) have heard that this project is on ice (delayed indefinitely) due to the current economic situation. Hopefully it's not cancelled outright. The extreme layoffs from a few days ago probably have something to do with this.

Super Nintendo World in Hollywood has also suffered the same fate, but that'll eventually get started again (it's a decent way into construction).
I think we use the same "other" forum as our Universal news source ?

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
With the project sounding like it's on extremely shaky ground as a massive Universal fan I've been trying to see if I can find any positives from Epic Universe being cancelled. Now, I may be clutching at straws here but I genuinely think EU being cancelled may be beneficial for the guest experience at Universal Orlando Resort.
If Epic Universe was cancelled we'd likely see some of the projects eventually moved across to the existing parks once the tourism industry starts to recover. Super Nintendo Land to KidZone and Ministry of Magic to FearFactor Live at the Studios park and maybe How To Train Your Dragon would end up somewhere in Islands of Adventure. Add projects that were already rumoured for the resort like Pokémon to replace Simpsons and Secret Life of Pets to replace Shrek at Studios along with Zelda replacing Lost Continent and Lord Of The Rings replacing Toon Lagoon at IOA and you'd be left with two theme parks absolutely jam packed with incredible attractions.
One of my favourite parts of Universal Orlando has always been the compact, connected nature of it and by keeping it all on one site while improving the existing parks would further increase the unique appeal of Universal in my opinion. Obviously I'm taking about a probably 20 year time frame here and this is only from a guest experience stand point- Comcast would definitely want a third park for the added guests and income it would bring.

Matt N

CF Legend
I was going to say; I think the project is merely “delayed indefinitely” until the economy begins to recover. Most economists predict that the recovery should begin by 2021 at the latest, so I think we should know more about Epic Universe by 2021.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
I was going to say; I think the project is merely “delayed indefinitely” until the economy begins to recover. Most economists predict that the recovery should begin by 2021 at the latest, so I think we should know more about Epic Universe by 2021.

Pretty much, although Universal might wait another year to get a steady cashflow going again.

The worst case scenario (IMO) is Super Nintendo World getting moved back to Kidzone and Epic Universe gets delayed by a couple of years (aka 2025/2026). Pokemon replaces SNW in Epic Universe and the world goes on.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I wonder if a delay like that would affect IP choice. In 5/6 years time, things like HTTYD and even the wizarding world may seem a little more dated.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
I wonder if a delay like that would affect IP choice. In 5/6 years time, things like HTTYD and even the wizarding world may seem a little more dated.

The Wizarding World will always show up, if only because that's how Universal got to the point that they are now. HTTYD tho... maybe.