What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Matt N

CF Legend
I saw an article today that makes me think British theme parks could do quite well once lockdown is over: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...out-what-theyll-do-when-lockdown-over-2549871

If you don't want to read the article, they basically did a survey on a selection of British people about what they dreamed of doing after the lockdown, and Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Alton Towers were two of the top places people wanted to visit once lockdown is lifted.

If this survey is anything to go by, then I think parks could be popular when lockdown is relaxed!

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Skyline park, Germany has released a statement about potential measures they will put in place when the park is allowed to open.

Note this is translated from German on their Facebook page.

Dear Skyline Park fans,
like many other leisure facilities, the Skyline Park is still closed.
We ask you for your opinion on the following concerns:
We would also like to open the Skyline Park in the course of the opening of restaurants and hotels. This opening takes place in compliance with the specified hygiene measures.
We give you some facts and explanations:
- We have absolute control over the number of visitors through the entrances and exits
- The Skylinepark offers attractions on approx. 350,000 m2 100% under the open sky
- The network of paths is 7 km with an average width of 3.70 m; this results in an area of 26,000 m2
- The free spaces that are possible to stay have an area of 20,000 m2
- Meeting on the paths due to the lack of rows of shelves is possible without any problems because there is enough space for this. Basically it is an English garden with fairground rides.
We have drawn up a hygiene plan and some extracts from it:
- There are a large number of signs that indicate hygiene and distance rules
- Stickers on the floor, where the distance is specified
- No one-way traffic at the entrances and exits at the fairground rides
- Absolute mask requirement in the park
- Disinfection dispenser in all toilet facilities and all catering stands
- All operators of the rides have a special dispenser with a fleece soaked in disinfectant with which all contact surfaces can be wiped off
- Disposable gloves like when refueling at all rides, which can be disposed of in the provided containers after the journey
- All visitors drive exclusively in the group belonging together or alone
- For this purpose and to make things easier for our employees, they receive a bracelet at the entrance, on which they write their family name. We therefore rule out that strangers drive together or with too little distance
You see, we have put a lot of thought into it that is feasible and should protect your health.
If you have any suggestions, please contact us via "Personal Message" (PN) and support us in our wish to open.
What is still missing is you! Stay healthy and see you soon in Skyline Park. ?
Your operator family Joachim Löwenthal and the Skyline Park team

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
I saw an article today that makes me think British theme parks could do quite well once lockdown is over: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...out-what-theyll-do-when-lockdown-over-2549871

If you don't want to read the article, they basically did a survey on a selection of British people about what they dreamed of doing after the lockdown, and Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Alton Towers were two of the top places people wanted to visit once lockdown is lifted.

If this survey is anything to go by, then I think parks could be popular when lockdown is relaxed!

I noticed someone mentioned they hoped BPB would be free for walking around again after lockdown.

I reckon one of the consequences of this lockdown and hopefully BPB re-opening again soon may well be the complete opposite of that: no more cheapskate entry. One entry fee for all thus no more wristbands.
The demand will probably be enough for that and if some social distancing needs to be maintained the wristband checking stuff seems very unnecessary.

I think international travel could well be muted for years. People will be looking to save money and definitely not want to get caught abroad if there is ever another outbreak of this virus.

If theme parks can survive this closure they could indeed do well after re-opening from domestic crowds at least.

Trax

Hyper Poster
I think that once opened, the parks will experience a peak and probably the busiest time of the year. However, I think the initial peak will wear down eventually, resulting in below average numbers for the rest of the season as some people will prefer to stay home.
I don't think that, even with this peak, the 2020 numbers will come close to the ones from the previous season. However, the income will serve the parks well.

I think that openenings under conditions might be possible in the next 1 or 2 months, but those measures will be difficult to implement for parks with a low amount of space - I am especially thinking about Phantasialand here.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I noticed someone mentioned they hoped BPB would be free for walking around again after lockdown.

I reckon one of the consequences of this lockdown and hopefully BPB re-opening again soon may well be the complete opposite of that: no more cheapskate entry. One entry fee for all thus no more wristbands.
The demand will probably be enough for that and if some social distancing needs to be maintained the wristband checking stuff seems very unnecessary.
I don’t know how they’d get around the fact they’ve sold entrance only season passes already. Unless maybe they did this as a temporary measure and allowed those season pass holders to use it for the whole of next year.

On that note... When parks reopen, I am almost certain it will be with a limited capacity. I wonder if some parks are thinking of extending their season passes to next year and while capacity is reduced this year, going “pre paid ticket only.”

It would make financial sense, but would also be the only way of stopping 20,000 MAP holders turning up at Tower’s gates!!!

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
I don’t know how they’d get around the fact they’ve sold entrance only season passes already. Unless maybe they did this as a temporary measure and allowed those season pass holders to use it for the whole of next year.

On that note... When parks reopen, I am almost certain it will be with a limited capacity. I wonder if some parks are thinking of extending their season passes to next year and while capacity is reduced this year, going “pre paid ticket only.”

It would make financial sense, but would also be the only way of stopping 20,000 MAP holders turning up at Tower’s gates!!!

Entry at many parks seems incredibly cheap to me especially the half priced stuff that Alton Towers has been doing with the Carex soaps. Considering how many of those bottles must have been sold recently I wonder if they can simply consider previous offers invalid if they need to operate with reduced capacity but try to get as much money out of each punter.

It states at the moment the Carex offers are valid till May 31st 2021 btw.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Entry at many parks seems incredibly cheap to me especially the half priced stuff that Alton Towers has been doing with the Carex soaps. Considering how many of those bottles must have been sold recently I wonder if they can simply consider previous offers invalid if they need to operate with reduced capacity but try to get as much money out of each punter.

It states at the moment the Carex offers are valid till May 31st 2021 btw.

I’m certain that it will also state a right to remove the offer at any time, they usually do. And I agree, that wouldn’t surprise me either, nor would I be disappointed, businesses affected need to do what they can to survive at the minute.

If they don’t completely remove MAP access, I can definitely see them doing one of those ‘£5 MAP pre booking required’ things they do at certain attractions at certain times. They will surely have to do something to control numbers.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The great Dorset steam fair (26th-30th August) has just been cancelled.
Not surprising really, it’s a huge festival with camping etc that attracts over 200,000 people in one weekend. Glastonbury was cancelled ages ago... (much to my disappointment :( despite my understanding and agreement with the decision)

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Not surprising really, it’s a huge festival with camping etc that attracts over 200,000 people in one weekend. Glastonbury was cancelled ages ago... (much to my disappointment :( despite my understanding and agreement with the decision)
I didn't realise it had camping but knew it was a very big event. Makes more sense now.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Could some parks monitor visitor numbers by opening for online booked guests only, no tickets sold on the gate? Would seem like an easier way to monitor numbers, and work out who's in what group. Would also avoid any crowds forming of people waiting to buy tickets on the gate and waiting for people to leave.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Could some parks monitor visitor numbers by opening for online booked guests only, no tickets sold on the gate? Would seem like an easier way to monitor numbers, and work out who's in what group. Would also avoid any crowds forming of people waiting to buy tickets on the gate and waiting for people to leave.
Plausible, in addition to considering crowd management within the park, such as demarcating X's in ride queues to minimize close contact with folks.

BTW, as mentioned, Kentucky Kingdom is shooting for an early June opening. They have now sent out an email with similar summary.KK.png

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I would be surprised if this wasn’t done, especially at the major parks. I expect them to only sell tickets online, and either restrict annual pass entry to pre booked entry, or none at all.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I would be surprised if this wasn’t done, especially at the major parks. I expect them to only sell tickets online, and either restrict annual pass entry to pre booked entry, or none at all.
I reckon annual passes could be completely “called off” as it were this year. Entry only to prebooked ticket holders online. Leftover days from your annual pass will be rolled-over to next year and you will be required to purchase a ticket if you want to visit the parks this season.

Otherwise there's going to be thousands of annual pass holders fighting over only a few allowed entries per day which will result in a lot of commotion and disappointment.

Matt N

CF Legend
It would seem as though Haichang Ocean Park Holdings is going down the opposite path to many other tourism companies and has developed a 5 year plan for the company's growth & investment prospects: https://blooloop.com/news/haichang-ocean-park-holdings-annual-report-going-concern-covid19/

An interesting thing to note is that as well as talking about building new parks, they also say about "large investments into infrastructure at their existing properties". I'm not sure what they mean by infrastructure, but it almost seems as though they are investing more in order to pull people in.

In other news, I also heard somewhere that German parks are aiming for a 4th May reopening. Has anyone else heard this, as it would be brilliant if true, but it did seem earlier than I was expecting?

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It would seem as though Haichang Ocean Park Holdings is going down the opposite path to many other tourism companies and has developed a 5 year plan for the company's growth & investment prospects: https://blooloop.com/news/haichang-ocean-park-holdings-annual-report-going-concern-covid19/
I mean, many major park chains operate with a 5 year road map for planning investments, new rides, etc.

Again, amusement park chains and companies, just as millions of other businesses across the global market, are recognizing a need to write-off and adapt for short-term losses, while still proceeding with medium and long-term projects. Losing a a few months revenue is hardly a reason to delay the build-out of bigger, better projects in 2021 and 2022; quite the opposite in fact, as parks will look for rebound attendance and revenue.

TL;DR the world isn't ending, and amusement parks need to still plan for the future and news rides it brings, as they already should have been.

Matt N

CF Legend
I mean, many major park chains operate with a 5 year road map for planning investments, new rides, etc.

Again, amusement park chains and companies, just as millions of other businesses across the global market, are recognizing a need to write-off and adapt for short-term losses, while still proceeding with medium and long-term projects. Losing a a few months revenue is hardly a reason to delay the build-out of bigger, better projects in 2021 and 2022; quite the opposite in fact, as parks will look for rebound attendance and revenue.

TL;DR the world isn't ending, and amusement parks need to still plan for the future and news rides it brings, as they already should have been.
I was only surprised because the likes of Merlin, Six Flags, Cedar Fair and Disney have all announced substantial CAPEX cuts (e.g. Cedar Fair has cut 50% of its 2021 budget, Merlin has cut 40% of its estate CAPEX for an unknown period, Six Flags has cut a number of 2020 additions, Disney has announced delays or cancellations of many construction projects).

On the other hand, I suppose you do have companies like Universal & Compagnie des Alpes who have announced that they are proceeding with all current construction projects. I was only surprised because most people who I talk to have told me off for expecting any major investments this side of 2025.

In other news, it would seem that a 4th May reopening for German parks is genuinely being thought of, as the German Minister for Tourism has been quoted as saying that "open-air attractions", such as zoos and theme parks could reopen as soon as 4th May. In my opinion, this is brilliant news, and the German industry will really benefit!
EDIT: Source for Germany news: https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/...nen.05f3ac9b-b6c5-4034-aa92-0eb017b3b0df.html