What's new

Favourite and least favourite types of coaster train

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. By this point, I'd imagine most of us have experienced a number of different types of coaster train, so I'd be interested to know; which ones are your favourites and least favourites in terms of comfort and how much you enjoy riding in them? For me, it would go something like this:
Favourite
  • B&M hyper trains - Fantastic! So spacious, so comfortable, and they just further enhanced my enjoyment of an already outstanding ride when I rode Mako! These trains are perfect, if you ask me; if I'd designed them myself, there's nothing I would have done differently!
  • Mack megacoaster trains - As with the B&M hyper trains above, these are fantastic and feel really well designed! Very roomy with comfortable seats and plenty of restraint freedom. For any coaster that inverts, these are pretty much perfect trains, in my opinion!
Least Favourite
  • Pinfari trains - I've only ever experienced these on Creepy Crawler at Oakwood, and I must say, they weren't particularly comfortable trains to ride in from my perspective. I don't know whether height impacts this or not, but I'm not particularly tall and didn't find there to be an awful lot of legroom; I bashed my knee very hard on the front of the car when the ride hit the brake run, and that was on a fairly slow ride!
  • Grand National's PTC trains - Now, I'm not sure if there's much inherently wrong with these trains, but I didn't find them very comfortable to ride in. I wasn't a massive fan of the hard seat divider that you got bashed into around every corner, which was made worse by the fact that the ride is incredibly rough to begin with. I suppose I shouldn't really criticise them, though, as an 80 year old woodie can only be so comfortable!
  • Space Mountain's cars at Magic Kingdom - Again, for the compact nature of the ride, there's not much inherently wrong with these, but I found the riding position slightly uncomfortable due to how low you were seated and due to the way your legs straddled the seat in front; my back and legs hurt a little bit coming off.
But which coaster trains are your favourite and least favourite?

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Mack megacoaster trains
Yup

First thing that comes to mind for least favourite is B&M standup, as they seem to be the rides most significantly affected by just the train and not the whole package.
Awkward to get on in the first place.
Isn't standing, just sitting on a stupid uncomfortable bike seat.
Shoulder restraints are 10ft tall and 10 inches deep for maximised face punching.

Coaster Cinema

Mega Poster
Favorites:
PTC Buzzbar Trains
Morgan trains
B&M Hyper trains
Intamin T bar trains
Gerstlauer Euro Fighter/Infinity trains (lap bars)

Least Favorites:
Gerstlauer Euro Fighter cars (shoulder restraints)
Pinfari trains
Premier trains (SeaWorld Parks variant)
Vekoma SLC trains (old design)
Coast Rider cars

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. By this point, I'd imagine most of us have experienced a number of different types of coaster train, so I'd be interested to know; which ones are your favourites and least favourites in terms of comfort and how much you enjoy riding in them? For me, it would go something like this:
Favourite
  • B&M hyper trains - Fantastic! So spacious, so comfortable, and they just further enhanced my enjoyment of an already outstanding ride when I rode Mako! These trains are perfect, if you ask me; if I'd designed them myself, there's nothing I would have done differently!
  • Mack megacoaster trains - As with the B&M hyper trains above, these are fantastic and feel really well designed! Very roomy with comfortable seats and plenty of restraint freedom. For any coaster that inverts, these are pretty much perfect trains, in my opinion!
Least Favourite
  • Pinfari trains - I've only ever experienced these on Creepy Crawler at Oakwood, and I must say, they weren't particularly comfortable trains to ride in from my perspective. I don't know whether height impacts this or not, but I'm not particularly tall and didn't find there to be an awful lot of legroom; I bashed my knee very hard on the front of the car when the ride hit the brake run, and that was on a fairly slow ride!
  • Grand National's PTC trains - Now, I'm not sure if there's much inherently wrong with these trains, but I didn't find them very comfortable to ride in. I wasn't a massive fan of the hard seat divider that you got bashed into around every corner, which was made worse by the fact that the ride is incredibly rough to begin with. I suppose I shouldn't really criticise them, though, as an 80 year old woodie can only be so comfortable!
  • Space Mountain's cars at Magic Kingdom - Again, for the compact nature of the ride, there's not much inherently wrong with these, but I found the riding position slightly uncomfortable due to how low you were seated and due to the way your legs straddled the seat in front; my back and legs hurt a little bit coming off.
But which coaster trains are your favourite and least favourite?
I have a new candidate for least favourite:
  • Colossus' trains at Thorpe Park - On Colossus, I encountered a similar problem to in the Pinfari trains in that legroom was quite limited behind the other seat; I could fit my knees behind the other seat, but only just; I'd imagine it's not too comfortable if you're over about 6ft or have long legs! It's also one of the few rides where getting in and out of it is somewhat of a challenge...

emoo

Hyper Poster
- Those Colossus trains are appalling, glad you brought that up somewhere else :) No room or view, getting in our out is as hard as it gets, etc, etc.
- T3 restraints make a Vekoma SLC worse than usual.
- Skyrush looks bad as well as the known comfort complaints
- Agree with Volares
- The second seat in each car of many older Arrow and Vekomas are a bit too cramped
- Any kiddy coaster I have to sit sideways on or do the splits. Also the older Zierer Tivolis that have very little backrest
- On a more minor point I wasn't impressed with general look of the cars on Full Throttle, but especially the netting between the cars. I mean really - do others rides have this?

I would have a gripe about the 4D originals but I enjoy them so much and want them to keep me attached by any means necessary.

+ Agree with Mack Mega and the Time Travler spinner cars
+ Also agree with Morgan/B&M Hyper (including the 2 seater on Steel Dragon 2000) for all the obvious reasons. I delight when I slip ever so slightly out of the clamshells, knowing I am still safely part of the train.
+ Schwarzkopf with lapbars on looping coasters, effortlessly great
+ The larger S+S chairs on trains including the Titan Max ones they added. I wonder if Steel Curtain ones are part of this?
+ The Maurer spinners, simple, graceful and effective
+ The modern Vekoma family inverts
+ B&M flying coasters, the mechanics delight me and I find them both comfortable and add to the drama and nerves like little else. The vest doesn't bother me so glad I don't have issues others report. I look forwards to adding Vekomas new bread to this as well. Fingers crossed they pull it off.

I really do enjoy a coaster train when done right, its an important element of a ride.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Favourite: Mack Mega, Intamin Blitz Lap Bar (Taron,) B&M Hyper Clamshell

Least Favourite: SLC, Intamin Accelerator (OTSR for example Stealth, Rita, Furious Baco etc) and whatever that Collosus train is ?