What's new

Rides that would be better without an element?

Snoo

The Legend
So I was just thinking about this with Great Bear.. what rides would be better with or without a specific element or section of track? You can sometimes see an entire attraction suffer because of 200ft of track. Great Beat is my favorite example as it's GREAT up until the ending which just meanders slowly like your on a sightseeing adventure until the brakes. I know many of folks have killed that ride for that specifically, myself included. Same could be said for Raptor at Cedar Point as it has the same section after the first Wingover after the MCBR. If they could have done more with that and made it less dead, the ride would definitely stay higher up in the food chain.

Thoughts?

Hutch

Strata Poster
Fury 325 - Using my example from my ride length thread: take out the drawn out helix. Don't even replace it with anything, just get on with the ride and go into that last airtime hill.

Mystery - That whole outdoor section midway through the ride is just a mess. I'll take literally anything else in its place.

Storm Runner - I wasn't a fan of that banked S-bend at the end of the ride. Had a bit of headbanging and was definitely a lowlight for me. Through in an airtime hill or two. That being said I've only ridden it with the hard restraints so maybe it's okay now.

Boulder Dash - Replace that new double up and bring back the triple up!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
The Smiler without the inversions would be fab!
But seriously, the final inversion on Helix doesn't add much to the ride. Same for Karnan, that post-brake-run inversion is just pointless.
And dare I say it... the 2nd inversion on Steel Vengeance, the half-stall. Seems crazy to be criticising my number 1 coaster, but in 6000ft of track it's the only element that doesn't quite flow right.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Too many to mention really but here's 3 major ones;

Wildfire's 2nd inversion over the cliff. The track climbs slightly to be able to invert, losing momentum, momentum which affects the entire rest of the ride poorly.
Helix's final inversion. While it does offer a different sensation to the rest of the ride, it's hot garbage and ends a brilliant ride on a low point.

Outlaw Run. The final of the two rolls. Didn't want to put this in because it seems like I'm picking on RMC a little and the rest of OR is fan-bloody-tastic but why the **** did anyone think the 2nd roll would be a good idea? It's nearly vom inducing as it's so slow.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Hyperion without the floater hill. I understand Intamin (or perhaps the park itself, who knows) wanted variety, but in my opinion this second camelback slows the momentum too much. Replacing it with a big ejector moment would have made Hyperion even more exciting!

Icon without the weaker moments in the middle of its first half. I felt it is meandering a bit too much and wish Mack could have done more. In fairness though they had to deal with the tight footprint constraints of Blackpool.

But seriously, the final inversion on Helix doesn't add much to the ride. Same for Karnan, that post-brake-run inversion is just pointless.
And dare I say it... the 2nd inversion on Steel Vengeance, the half-stall. Seems crazy to be criticising my number 1 coaster, but in 6000ft of track it's the only element that doesn't quite flow right.

Actually enjoy Kärnan's surprise inversion. Got me each time I rode it because I was overwhelmed by the intensity of the main layout. It's a troll-ish, silly afterthought that somehow makes the ride stand out even more :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes. Yes. Yes. It's even more of a shame considering it follows one of the best inversions on the planet.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Biggest one that jumps out to me would be Lech, and even then it's not removing an element, just changing one. Making the drop / first inversion slightly different so it's that bit less forceful and makes it a bit more rerideable.

I wonder how Taron would be if it only had one airtime hill at the end rather than the two trimmed ones. One larger one might not have required a trim and could have given a different pop to end the ride. I personally don't have an issue with those two hills, but I guess it could be improved upon.

Smiler's last two inversions going would definitely would improve the ride. And the batwing(? the one that interlocks with the corkscrew) in the first half of the ride could go.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
I wonder how Taron would be if it only had one airtime hill at the end rather than the two trimmed ones. One larger one might not have required a trim

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the trim brake is not for the airtime hills itself, but rather for the very sharp turnaround and the very short final brake run following that. The 3rd of the 3 trim brakes (and the only one that is located entirely on said 2nd airtime hill) is almost always turned off completely, as an attempt to preserve at least some airtime. I suppose it was a good thought but it didn't work out all that well.

mkingy

Roller Poster
But seriously, the final inversion on Helix doesn't add much to the ride.
Agreed, wish they'd profiled it more like Blue Fire's

For me it has to be Icon's last overbank, forceless and forced (into the layout), I'd have transitioned into a heartline roll straight into the brake run with the benefit of hindsight.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Agreed, wish they'd profiled it more like Blue Fire's
giphy.gif

#CultofBFsInline

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Storm Chasers off Axis Double up before the helix. Just make it a regular :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing double up and that ride is SO much better. Tagging @Hixee for value

Another RMC one, funny that.

Hate that element, it's rubbish. Thankfully the rest of the ride is so spot on that I still love it, but damn that bit is dumb.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Honestly, I would love to see Ninja's butterfly loop removed. Back when it was Ninja, that butterfly loop was the icing on the cake for my least favorite coaster ever!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Actually enjoy Kärnan's surprise inversion. Got me each time I rode it because I was overwhelmed by the intensity of the main layout. It's a troll-ish, silly afterthought that somehow makes the ride stand out even more
I'm with you on that one. Also the openness of the restraints makes it rather ridiculous.

The 'cutback' on Railblazer didn't do much for me, happened too quick and didn't feel quite right.

Also +1 on Wildfire (and picking on RMC) for slow meandering bits at the end.