What's new

Best place to live for coasters?

Snoo

The Legend
^Having a B&M is not the only requirement to be a notable park.

Also don't seem to be gaining much by being so far west in Nashville. Surely you'd be better off moving my circle north east a bit to encompass the Washington area.

Do you know what Six Flags America is? :p

You could shift it to say.. Charleston, WV. You'd gain SFGAdv and all the PA Parks but lose some of the midwest.. short of Chicago.

Edward M

Strata Poster
See.. people say Orlando or Tampa like they have a plethora of good coasters down there. They don't. Yeah they truly only have a few gems, but nothing that says "IF YOU LOVE COASTERS, GO TO ORLANDO"

This. I'm a big Disney parks fan, but I didn't nominate it because the question was for coasters. Looking purely at rcdb, Orlando's good but nothing amazing besides maybe Mako. There's ones I love like Space Mountain and Kumba, but I can't say they're the best coasters, just some of my favorites. If we were talking theme parks, Orlando is the best, if only by sheer quantity.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Nashville in the USA for sure. The below image shows everything you need to know. You can hit some 13 parks with 5+ rollercoasters. Essentially the entirety of the midwest including the big parks. While public transport isn't great, you can do much with the highways (as you can see) and short domestic flights like to Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit, Washington, and Tampa (just outside of the circle). It really is a good center spoke of travel if need be.

31591852178_ab4e90d022.jpg

FYI.. yall.. it's COLUMBUS. Get that spelling right!

After living in Louisville for a summer, which isn't too far off from Nashville in the above image, I'll definitely agree with Nashville with regard to the US portion of the argument. The only place in the US that might beat it would be living right in NYC.

I'm actually gonna with Amsterdam. You have Efteling and Walibi Holland (and the new RMC) right by you. A lot of German parks are pretty close, including Phantasialand. More than anything, public transit is way better in Europe, and I'm not a big driver.

I actually think that somewhere between Cologne and Amsterdam is the best in the world without a doubt. There's such a high density of good parks in that region with excellent rides - Efteling, Walibi Holland, Walibi Belgium, Toverland, Phantasialand, Moviepark Germany, Walygator Parc, among quite a few others - all within an area that's roughly the size of the state of Ohio...Beyond this, Parc Asterix, DLP, Parc St Paul, Heide Park, Hansa Park, and the cluster of parks up in Denmark aren't too far away either.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
See.. people say Orlando or Tampa like they have a plethora of good coasters down there. They don't. Yeah they truly only have a few gems, but nothing that says "IF YOU LOVE COASTERS, GO TO ORLANDO"
Kumba? Mako? White Lightning? Manta? Hulk? SheiKra? ((BGT RMC soonish)) Yeah, it sucks living near all those :p (and not having an off season <3)
Might lack 'destination' coasters but there are for sure quality coasters here... And not a Boomerang or SLC in sight!

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Everyone saying Venlo or Amsterdam? Just say Brussels or Antwerp (or Mechelen in between)
Brussels has first of all good flight connections and has all the parks mentioned before as close or even closer (disregarding Walibi Holland and some other Norther parks in the Netherlands) even Efteling is closer.
I would give this an advantage over cities which are "close" (I don't find an 8 hour drive close) to 10 six flags parks which are all the same.

Big parks seen as the better ones in the world, with unique coasters and attractions
Disneyland Paris = 4 hours by car (3 by train)
Phantasialand = 2 hours by car (train is harder and more expensive)
Efteling = 1,5 hours by car
Europapark = 5 hours by car

Smaller parks and other localities
Walibi Begium (30 mins)
Plopsaland de Panne (1 hour)
And a bunch of others in Netherlands and Germany and the North of France (Parc Asterix: 2,5h, Toverland: 2h, Walibi Holland:2,5h, etc)

Transport
1 hour and a bit with the train to London
Airport with connections to big cities all over Europe and other hubs (within half an hour flying, like Frankfurt and Amsterdam)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Everyone saying Venlo or Amsterdam? Just say Brussels or Antwerp (or Mechelen in between)
Brussels has first of all good flight connections and has all the parks mentioned before as close or even closer (disregarding Walibi Holland and some other Norther parks in the Netherlands) even Efteling is closer.
I would give this an advantage over cities which are "close" (I don't find an 8 hour drive close) to 10 six flags parks which are all the same.

Big parks seen as the better ones in the world, with unique coasters and attractions
Disneyland Paris = 4 hours by car (3 by train)
Phantasialand = 2 hours by car (train is harder and more expensive)
Efteling = 1,5 hours by car
Europapark = 5 hours by car

Smaller parks and other localities
Walibi Begium (30 mins)
Plopsaland de Panne (1 hour)
And a bunch of others in Netherlands and Germany and the North of France (Parc Asterix: 2,5h, Toverland: 2h, Walibi Holland:2,5h, etc)

Transport
1 hour and a bit with the train to London
Airport with connections to big cities all over Europe and other hubs (within half an hour flying, like Frankfurt and Amsterdam)
I'd rather be homeless, living on the streets of Mumbai, than live in Brussels.

Snoo

The Legend
Kumba? Mako? White Lightning? Manta? Hulk? SheiKra? ((BGT RMC soonish)) Yeah, it sucks living near all those :p (and not having an off season <3)
Might lack 'destination' coasters but there are for sure quality coasters here... And not a Boomerang or SLC in sight!

Never said they didn't have quality, I did say they have gems after all. And tbh.. you enjoy your heat and humidity, I'll enjoy riding Steel Vengeance over and over for most of the year. ;)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I'll enjoy riding Steel Vengeance over and over for most of the year. ;)

Spare room at Howie's house (see above) whenever you do!
To be fair though, @CanobieFan does have a point about the seasonal thing - CP is closed for a good 6 months of the year, which is why in the winter I'll go and live next door to him! ;)

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
I'd rather be homeless, living on the streets of Mumbai, than live in Brussels.
And can you make clear what you mean with that? Because I think you are being a bit shortsighted there.
Also there are plenty of other cities and villages in the rest of Belgium where you could be living instead of Brussels

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
For me it would be somewhere near the Netherlands-German Border where parks such as Efteling, Toverland and Phantasialand (3 of my top 5 parks) would be accessible and many other European parks could also be visited such as Europa, Heide, Hansa, Movie park Germany, Walibi Belgium & Holland (Europa and Hansa being the other 2 parks in my top 5).

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Ohio or Pennsylvania would be good. You've either got CP and KI or all the PA parks and SFGAdv and SFNE etc not super far away. That whole sort of area has a large proportion of highly rated rides (e.g. Steve, TTD, Maverick, Millenium Force, Diamondback, Beast, Mystic Timbers, KK, El Toro, Nitro, Phoenix, Ravine Flyer II, Skyrush etc etc.) I came back from our roadtrip around there this year and had to rethink my to-do bucket list as I'd ticked so much off of it.

Snoo

The Legend
Ohio or Pennsylvania would be good. You've either got CP and KI or all the PA parks and SFGAdv and SFNE etc not super far away. That whole sort of area has a large proportion of highly rated rides (e.g. Steve, TTD, Maverick, Millenium Force, Diamondback, Beast, Mystic Timbers, KK, El Toro, Nitro, Phoenix, Ravine Flyer II, Skyrush etc etc.) I came back from our roadtrip around there this year and had to rethink my to-do bucket list as I'd ticked so much off of it.

giphy.gif

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Duncannon, Penn.
Loads of stuff within a 6 hour drive, which is possible in one sitting, and super close to Skyrush.
As much as I'd love to live near Steel Vengeance, it's too far from Toro and Boulderdash.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
And can you make clear what you mean with that? Because I think you are being a bit shortsighted there.
Also there are plenty of other cities and villages in the rest of Belgium where you could be living instead of Brussels
It's a s**thole, which is a shame since everywhere else I've spent time in in Belgium has been lovely. You could surround the Grand Place with B&Ms and I'd still never live there.