What's new

Witches Wheel being removed at Cedar Point

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/witch-way-to-magnum

I just wonder what they are going to use the area for. RMC Gemini? Some sort of modification to Magnum? Something completely different for the 150th anniversary? The Gemini midway was redone relatively recently so it'll be interesting to see what Cedar Point is cooking up. Last day to ride is September 3rd. Makes me wish I had rode it when I was at CP in May. I used to ride this all the time with my mom when I was little.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Well there goes another Enterprise...

I'm starting to get worried about the one at Alton Towers now. I mean one flat is better than zero.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Obviously this is to RMC Magnum, not Gemini.

I imagine it's partly driven by cost of parts as well - Witches Wheel was already running on spare parts from Silver Bullet, the Enterprise ride at Geauga Lake.

Sad to see a classic ride go, especially so neatly tucked into that side of the park. Thinking about it further - the TTD Midway used to have Troika (Troika Troika), Dodgems, and Chaos on it as well - removing Witches Wheel means only Super Himalaya remains as an original flat ride for that side of the park.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
As @Hyde and @Snoo have mentioned, Witch's Wheel is currently a giant hole in the midway in which Cedar Point wants to throw its money into the least.

I would not be surprised if we see a bunch of flats and smaller **** to optimize space. They did it with Top Thrill Dragster and Valravn and I'm sure they'll do it for 2020 as well.

Matt N

CF Legend
Well there goes another Enterprise...

I'm starting to get worried about the one at Alton Towers now. I mean one flat is better than zero.
They have Blade, don't they?

Anyway, on the subject of Witch's Wheel, I heard that Cedar Fair mentioned in their recent financial report that they would "remove rides that had run their course". So if Witch's Wheel had run its course, then maybe this is part of CF's new strategy?

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
They have Blade, don't they?

Anyway, on the subject of Witch's Wheel, I heard that Cedar Fair mentioned in their recent financial report that they would "remove rides that had run their course". So if Witch's Wheel had run its course, then maybe this is part of CF's new strategy?

Totally agree here but they way Tony worded it... "But a magic spell of sorts means that any future rides are coming to an end – because Witches’ Wheel is rolling away. So why? As with most things that we do, it’s in the interest of future expansion. But what does THAT mean?"

I'm sure it's really expensive to keep up and it does occupy a small portion of land but if it's in the interest of future expansion, I can't see them using that space for a small flat ride after the Gemini Midway was redone several years ago. There must be something bigger in the plans. At least that's what I'm hoping for. We'll find out eventually!

Matt N

CF Legend
Totally agree here but they way Tony worded it... "But a magic spell of sorts means that any future rides are coming to an end – because Witches’ Wheel is rolling away. So why? As with most things that we do, it’s in the interest of future expansion. But what does THAT mean?"

I'm sure it's really expensive to keep up and it does occupy a small portion of land but if it's in the interest of future expansion, I can't see them using that space for a small flat ride after the Gemini Midway was redone several years ago. There must be something bigger in the plans. At least that's what I'm hoping for. We'll find out eventually!
Maybe it's for a similar revamp of the Wicked Twister midway (I think that's what it's called, anyway)? Or maybe it's for the rumoured 2020 coaster?

kenny cook

Mega Poster
I'm predicting we'll see CGA's and/or WOF's stick around for a while longer due to all the spare parts they'll soon be getting from Geauga's, CP's, and VF's

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster

It means you’re probably reading way too deep into this statement. I’m not saying they won’t use the word lot of land as the entrance to a new coaster, but there’s literally no reason they can’t add another flat ride. On top of this, Gemini is a high capacity attraction that’s still relatively reliable and enjoyable. To make the jump to “RMC Gemini” is just.... ridiculous.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Looking at Gemini, I must confess I could totally see it being the next Cedar Point coaster to go. It has aged past forty, it is neither particularly tall nor fast for its park, its layout is approximately as cookie-cutter as layouts get, and it is clearly evident that coaster technology has progressed a lot since it was built. Plus, it does take up a lot of valuable land.

But on the other hand, it seems like it does its one job phenomenally well. It doesn't go upside down, isn't particularly forceful, isn't so big as to be intimidating, and its capacity must be completely insane with those 4 trains à 30 riders. It's close to being the ideal coaster for those who don't feel like going on the big ones, while also not being small enough to be "insulting" to those who have outgrown the kiddie rides. It's a stepping stone and a crowd eater, a non-thrill coaster in a park full of big thrills, a family coaster big enough to be outstanding in its category. Just as I ask myself "Why don't they tear this old ride down?" I find myself asking "What better thing could they possibly replace it with?". CP needs a stepping stone between the kiddie rides and the huge thrill rides, and Gemini fits the role perfectly. It's not a very fancy job, but it's a job it does well.

RMC-ing it would be a total waste, not only would it practically need a miracle to beat Steel Vengeance in that niche (in which unlikely case, Steel Vengeance would find itself outclassed), but it would also leave a hole in the lineup. I could sort-of see them renew the ride, though. New track, new trains, replacing all machinery, new sensors, that sort of thing. Improving comfort and reliability while keeping the essential ride intact. But I'm not sure if it needs it. So, to conclude this ramble, I think Gemini will be left as it is, to do its unglamourous but important job for many more years to come. I might actually rather want to see Magnum be replaced (it too is getting old, and as a thrill coaster its role would be easier to surpass with a new addition), or possibly Blue Streak (which seems like a lesser Gemini role-wise, and which I suspect has survived this long because nothing else could reasonably fit inside its footprint anyway).

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Why would Cedar Point remove the 2nd best coaster at the park?

Magnum is fantastic and should be preserved. I highly doubt Cedar Point is gonna touch it anytime soon.
Magnum was awful when I did it this season. Are we talking about the same ride? Lol. I was hyped to ride it, thinking it would be what the big one was supposed to be bla bla and then I couldn't wait for it to end! So rough and jolty! Every bit of airtime increased the misery! Are there bad seats for it? Maybe I just had a bad seat?? I was quite confused by it. (I don't really think it needs to be removed just yet though.)

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Magnum was awful when I did it this season. Are we talking about the same ride? Lol. I was hyped to ride it, thinking it would be what the big one was supposed to be bla bla and then I couldn't wait for it to end! So rough and jolty! Every bit of airtime increased the misery! Are there bad seats for it? Maybe I just had a bad seat?? I was quite confused by it. (I don't really think it needs to be removed just yet though.)
did you sit in the 3rd row of a car?