What's new

World Cup Brazil 2014

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
After a very busy weekend in Kansas City, I was a bit surprised to return home and not find any discussion about the World Cup Draw for next year's tournament. With all the footy fans on CF and the difficult draw for both England and the USA, surely there's some discussion to be had.

Here are the groups, for those that didn't follow Friday's Draw:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/final-draw/draw.html

As for England and the U.S. - it really couldn't have gotten much worse. I actually think the Americans have a better chance of advancing than the Brits, but neither one should make it past the group stage tbh.
Overall though, I think the draw was a good one and it looks like Brazil could be hosting one of the best World Cups ever, at least as far as the competition is concerned.

There's also quite some debate over here as to which group is the "Group of Death". Most Yanks think it's Group G, of course, but Group D and Group B are also real contenders for that title. I feel really sorry for the Aussies more than England or the USA, because they don't stand a chance of winning a game much less advancing out of the group. Not only that, every opponent will be looking at not just winning the game, but beating the crap out of them because no one in that group will want to finish second and have to face Brazil in the next round.
Here's a look at the average FIFA ranking of each group that clearly show the U.S. and England groups to be the toughest:
Group A: 24.26
Group B: 21.00
Group C: 20.25
Group D: 14.25
Group E: 22.75
Group F: 26.25
Group G: 11.35
Group H: 28.25

Group B is a bit off because Australia bringing the average way down and it's going to be a real battle between Spain, Netherlands and Chile for those top two spots.

As for the USA, Hollywood could not have written a better script than what played out for the U.S. as one storyline after another played out on television screens across America on Friday morning.
First there's the opening matchup against Ghana, the nation that knocked the Yanks out in the Round of Sixteen of the last two World Cups (1-2 both times). Next up is Portugal, who lost to the U.S. the last time they met in the opener of the 2002 World Cup (3-2) and failed to advance out of the group as the Americans moved on all the way to the Quarterfinals (where they lost 0-1 to Germany). Even though that Portugal side was considered to be the best the country has ever produced, it didn't have Cristiano Ronaldo - currently the best player in the world. Group play wraps up with the game against Germany and Jürgen Klinsmann's date with destiny. The current USA head coach played in three World Cups for Germany, including winning the one in Italy in 1990. He also coached the German National Team to third place at the 2006 World Cup in Germany. Now he'll be facing his former team, who is coached by his former assistant with most of the staff also picked by Klinsmann. It really couldn't get any more dramatic or any more difficult for the team in red, white and blue.
So from the American perspective it is the 'Group of Death', but is that really the case or could the U.S. be a stronger opponent than they're perceived to be? History certainly isn't on their side - since returning to the World Cup after a 40 year absence in 1990, they have advanced to the second round in every other World Cup – 1994, 2002 and 2010. But recent history seems to suggest that the eight year cycle can be broken. The Americans have notched up some historic wins over the past two years since Klinsmann took over, including their first ever victory over Italy (1-0 in Genoa), their first ever away win against Mexico (1-0 at the Azteca Stadium), a 4-3 home victory over Germany that started a record 12 game winning streak and their first ever come-from-behind win in Europe against Bosnia-Herzegovina (4-3 in Sarajevo). In fact, 2013 has been the best year ever for the U.S. Men's National Team. They finished atop the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying Standings, won the Gold Cup (FIFA's regional continental tournament equivalent to the Euros) and finished the year with a best ever mark of 16 wins, 4 losses and 3 (scoreless) ties.
There are however, a couple of advantages that the U.S. will have over their group opponents. They will be more accustomed to the heat and humidity than the Europeans, but more importantly will be the travel involved. With the Group G games spread out around the country and the U.S. camp in Sao Paulo, the Yanks are expecting to travel over 9000 miles during the 10 days of group play. The other teams will have similar distances to cover, but don't do that on a regular basis like American players in the MLS do week in and week out.
Another thing about Group G is that there are no South American teams in the group and since the Americans are used to traveling throughout Central America on a regular basis, playing in the extremes of South America will likely be easier for them than their European or African opponents.
England won't have that advantage and are facing Uruguay - a team very familiar with the conditions. Costa Rica will also have that advantage and they're definitely a tougher team than many Brits realize. I really don't need to expand on Italy. Every Brit footy fan knows how England has fared against the Azzurri and that Italy is a team that always plays better in a tournament than in qualifying or friendly matches.

I still have to look more closely at the brackets to make my prediction as to who will win it all, but I'll be posting it here as soon as I get a chance to figure everything out.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Re: Brazil World Cup 2014

I think the climate of the areas was more important than the teams in the draw. Sadly England's allocated area isn't great but at least Italy won't be use to the climate either so that should even out the playing field a bit. Think it will be a great World Cup!

DelPiero

Strata Poster

England won't get past the group stage this year. We may get something against Costa Rica but Italy and Uruguay are too strong for us right now. Roy really needs to start blooding the youngsters in the 3 matches we will play and focus on the Euros in 2 years.

USA will be hard pressed to get out of the group but Portugal rely so much on CR7 that getting a result against them is possible if he has a poor game. Germany will top the group, such a great team.

I'll be watching for the football and supporting my country but won't expect anything.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

Over/under on refs getting decapitated on the field .5

Over/under on riots in the country during the event 2

From one perspective it sucks that (from a casual soccer fan) the first time in my life that our team feels like a strong contender we get a group that on paper looks like we could go 0-3. The other perspective is this group will be the proof that this club has turned the corner and is ready for the national stage.

GeForce

Roller Poster

delpiero1982 said:
England won't get past the group stage this year. We may get something against Costa Rica but Italy and Uruguay are too strong for us right now. Roy really needs to start blooding the youngsters in the 3 matches we will play and focus on the Euros in 2 years.

USA will be hard pressed to get out of the group but Portugal rely so much on CR7 that getting a result against them is possible if he has a poor game. Germany will top the group, such a great team.

I'll be watching for the football and supporting my country but won't expect anything.

Totally agree with you on Portugal, as good as Ronaldo is, if you can take him out of the game you have a good chance of beating Portugal a lot of the team is just average compared to other countries, especially when you look at the defenders and the goalkeepers. I would really like to see the Us advance instead of Portugal.

As for my country Germany, I´m glad to see other people beeing that confident in our team because I´m not. We lack a second great central defender besides hummels and I really hope Klose gets healthy before the WC otherwise we might have a striker problem dependig how Kruse is developing. However I expect that the team wins the group.

As for the three Lions, Joe Hart is a great goalkeeper (finally a good keeper) and the young team has great potential, I expect them to advance past the group, every team is beatable for England.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

^I didn't know you were a 'fussball' fan. If you are interested, you can read what I wrote about the draw for the U.S and Klinsmann's reaction to it (Kicker Extra Die Auslosung WM 2014 page 12-15) as well as the MLS Cup Final (page 51) in Monday's Kicker.

tks

Strata Poster

marc said:
I'm waiting for it to be moved tbh

This. The country is clearly one big huge corrupt mess, let's not even mention cranes..

GeForce

Roller Poster
ECG said:
^I didn't know you were a 'fussball' fan. If you are interested, you can read what I wrote about the draw for the U.S and Klinsmann's reaction to it (Kicker Extra Die Auslosung WM 2014 page 12-15) as well as the MLS Cup Final (page 51) in Monday's Kicker.
I will read the Monday Kicker for sure since we have a standing order for Kicker, I just hope that my dad brought it back from work :p.
It will be really intresting to see how the groups play out and if Brazil can really host the World Cup. I actually really like what Klinsman is doing with the US national team, young talented players paired with veterans has worked out for Germany quite well in recent years so the US are on a good way in my opinion.

As for fussball aka soccer in my life, my dad was playing and is coaching soccer for over 40 years so that´s how I got into it very very early at the age of 4.I became a fan of Borussia Dortmund at the age of 5 and have been a passionate soccer fan ever since. I had a quite succesful career as a Striker over 15 years but that´s another (long) story.

Darren B

Giga Poster
In going to bump this topic as we're getting closer to the finals.

After watching the weekends friendlies extensively my predictions have slightly changed, especially after watching Germany (my previously predicted winners) play against Cameroon. Ok, friendlies don't mean that much as it's simply just getting the team together and working on a few different systems. However, Germany in my honest opinion are severely lacking in key areas.

Their choice in goalkeepers are completely wrong; Manuel Neuer has had a bad season in my opinion. He's looked shaky and has made numerous mistakes throughout, and I think we'll see a few more from him in Brazil. For me he's not the best keeper on the planet as many people claim, nobody has yet to challenge Buffon over the past decade IMO.
Roman Weidenfeller is probably the best keeper' in the squad on current form, and whilst Zieler has had a good season with Hanover he's not world class. Germany have made a huge mistake in leaving Marc-Andre ter Stegen at home. He's the best goalkeeper in Germany, however, my guess in Joachim Loew sees him as too inexperienced for the biggest of stages. Shame.

Defensively they're strong. A back four of Lahm, Boateng, Hummels and Schmelzer equals the strongest back four in the competition. Add Mertesacker, Howedes and Durm they have a fantastic bench too.

In midfield they have an embarrassment of riches; the only real loss from the midfield is Ilkay Gundogan who in my opinion is the best CM in German football (all though many would disagree). But regardless of my opinion and the loss of Gundogan their midfield is still the best in the competition.

Up front they're ****! And this is why I now think they will struggle to win the World Cup. Thomas Muller is not a striker yet Loew is determined to use him in that position, and whilst Volland is extremely talented he's not tested at the highest level. Not taking Mario Gomez is going to be a huge mistake in my opinion, he's Germany's best striker and proven at the highest level. Kiesling is also a strange move. He finished as the second top scorer in the Bundesliga yet hasn't even been mentioned!

So yeah, due to their problem up front and having a shaky goalkeeper I can't see Germany winning the World Cup anymore. If I'm Joachim Loew I'd put out this team;

Weidenfeller, Lahm, Boateng, Hummels, Schmelzer, Schweinsteiger, Khedeira, Reus, Gotze, Muller & Gomez.

I think he'll start with this team though;

Neuer, Boateng, Mertesacker, Hummels, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Khedeira, Reus, Ozil, Schurrle & Muller.

I can't see him winning with this team.

As for England; all I ask for is that they give 100% and make us proud. Getting out of the group will be a struggle though.

My prediction for the eventual winner - I've got to go for Brazil.

nealbie

CF Legend
Darren makes a lot of valid points, but his whole post is ruined by turning Buffon into a God and completely ignoring the existence of Casillas, Van der Sar and Cech. There are many others too. I miss goalkeeping =(

As for England, we'll do as well as we normally do and get knocked out on penalties in the quarter finals and (wrongly) feel robbed for a few days then move on.

Spain will win.

Darren B

Giga Poster
^Casillas is the most overrated keeper to grace football. He's ALWAYS making mistakes! And he's not even the best goalkeeper at his club. Mourinho saw sense and Ancelotti has carried that on.

Van der Sar was good, as was Cech (prior to his injury) but both were never close to being the best on the planet.

Buffon has consistently been the best goalkeeper for a decade, he rarely makes mistakes and in my lifetime I've only seen one better goalkeeper; The big chap from Denmark!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Buffon is past it.

Not sure how you can look at Casillas' resume and call him anything close to being overrated.

Best keeper in the world is Courtois. Buffon and Casillas will be remembered as some of the best ever, but at this moment in time Courtois is head and shoulders above all others.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I agree Buffon has been the best keeper around for years. Since the first World Cup I remember watching in 2006 he has been incredible. But then Casillas has also been incredible.

I always keep faith in England until the end and I think that if we get out of the group then we have a good chance! I think that we might surprise a few teams!

Darren B

Giga Poster
Smithy said:
Buffon is past it.

Not sure how you can look at Casillas' resume and call him anything close to being overrated.

Best keeper in the world is Courtois. Buffon and Casillas will be remembered as some of the best ever, but at this moment in time Courtois is head and shoulders above all others.

His resume may include every major trophy, but it doesn't make him a world class keeper. Victor Valdes has won more domestically but yet we can still work out he's average at best. Casillas hardly sees the ball and the few times he does he has a tendancy to **** up! He always has, most current example, he nearly gifted Atletico the CL last week. Don't be swayed by the trophies he's won, he's always had a good team in front of him.

I'm close to agreeing with Courtois though, he's one of the top keepers in the world right now, but he's still not as good as Buffon who's had yet another blinding season this year.

I'd rank them as follows;

1. Buffon
2. ter Stegen
3. Courtois
4. Weidenfeller
5. Sirigu

Smithy

Strata Poster
Darren B said:
His resume may include every major trophy, but it doesn't make him a world class keeper. Victor Valdes has won more domestically but yet we can still work out he's average at best. Casillas hardly sees the ball and the few times he does he has a tendancy to **** up! He always has, most current example, he nearly gifted Atletico the CL last week. Don't be swayed by the trophies he's won, he's always had a good team in front of him.

So what do you judge a good goalkeeper on? Marshall got raved about this year in the PL yet he let in a **** catalogue of goals, yes he made flashy saves but that's because he had more opportunity to do so. Casillas is World Class, it's not even debatable imo. Valdes is extremely underrated and it's only since he's looked to leave Barca that his value has been noticed more. Every keeper has a tendancy to **** up, it's just that the top keepers tend to have theirs remembered more than most. Cech made mistakes this season, Neuer too, yet they're both still World Class keepers amongst the best in the world.

Darren B

Giga Poster
A world class keeper is one that commands his defence, owns his penalty area, and makes crucial saves when his team needs him the most. Casillas has never been that guy apart from the world class saves. He's a great shot stopper but that's it (so is Valdes). He's always been vunerable in the air, he's regularly caught out and looks unsteady anytime a ball comes floating near his 6 yard box. A world class keeper HAS to be as good in the air as he is stopping shots. That's why Casillas isn't world class.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Buffon is just as guilty of that as Casillas is though?! It's his worst aspect, he relies on his shot stopping and solid defence to bail him out of collecting crosses.

Darren B

Giga Poster
You see I think Buffon is very good in the air. Ok, so we're taught to catch the ball in this country whereas Buffon is a puncher. But I think he's very good at it. Casillas is a flapper and regularly gets caught out of position.

This is where the Courtois argument can be backed. He's a great shot stopper and he's brilliant in the air. He doesn't punch and I've rarely seen him come for a catch that he hasn't taken. In 2 years he'll be right up there alongside ter Stegen as the best in the world.