What's new

Will the UK ever get wood again?

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
How is that a snobbish remark? It's a fact. There are no wooden coasters in thorpe or chessington. Apart from one hill on dragon's fury, a few pops of air on Saw, the little bunny hop on colossus and the top hat on stealth that members can't decide whether it gives air or not (personally I think it does give air) but still, none of these are built for airtime. None of them have massive bursts of ejector or floater or have trains specifically designed to give airtime.

So, if neither thorpe nor chessington has a wooden coaster, and neither park has a proper airtime machine in the sense that none of their coasters have been designed with airtime as the main feature in mind, then how is my 'snobbish' statement anything less than fact?

jokerman

Giga Poster
Following on from that, haven't you just been arguing that people will love to see wooden roller coasters precisely because there aren't many around in southern england? So you're saying they will care loads about a wooden coaster because there's not many around, and then you say people would'nt care about airtime because there's not much of it in the UK.

The difference is that people have heard of wooden coasters, but probably will not of heard of airtime. If you havn't heard of somehting then you can't want it.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
jokerman said:
The difference is that people have heard of wooden coasters, but probably will not of heard of airtime. If you havn't heard of somehting then you can't want it.

So when a the first roller coaster launch was built, or a new type of gimmick was installed on a ride that no one but the designers had ever imagined being put on a ride, you would say that everyone would completely ignore it because they'd never heard of it before?

That's like, completely the opposite of what actually happens, else why do designers constantly want to come up with new designs?

I see what you are saying though, wooden coasters have airtime but no one calls it airtime, they just think of it as what wooden coasters do, and if a steel coaster doesn't have loops, they are disappointed because it doesn't do what it was meant to do. Is that right?

If so, I still think that steel airtime would be popular to an extent, but since they don't really have any new gimmicks, the GP might not see them as entirely so exciting, so it's a valid point, but if it's true it means that we'd see no more steel airtime machines, whereas there are still more B+M hypercoasters and intamin mega lites being constructed over the world, so the public does see something in them.

marc

CF Legend
Saw has a purpose built air time hill, so people are getting airtime. The airtime hill on Saw gives a good bit of airtime tbh and some of the transitions give airtime.

I also get airtime on Colossus, not much but I get some.

Stealth I get none goes over to slow, now if the restraints had been look Xcelerator people would get ejector time.

What makes me laugh is they make coasters launch, loop, dive whatever. A lot of people still rate a few wooden coasters to be the best in the world, back to basics or what.

And again I think you will find there are just as many wooden coaster built in the past 3 years in the USA as steel hyper etc coasters.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
^ That's what I was saying, none of the rides are solely built for airtime, so none of them are what I would call proper airtime machines. I'm sorry if not calling a coaster that is built for stuff other than airtime is snobbish, but unless it's built with lapbars and every element except the turns are hills (or anything that gives you airtime), it doesn't really fit my definition of an airtime machine.

In short, Airtime machine = coaster built primarily for airtime. Snobbish?

Also, what's the last sentence about? I'm agreeing that lots of wooden coasters are being built, I'm just saying that steel airtime machinces definitely haven't stopped being constructed yet , I'm not saying that there are more than wooden ones.

marc

CF Legend
Ok where in the UK can they build a 200ft hyper coaster? Yes we can just about have a Mega Lite but why pay all that money when they can have a woodie thats probably better?

Have you been on EGF? Have you been on a Hyper?

For me EGF gets boring, I have only been on Silver Star and if we could only get that in the UK I would not bother.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
^ I have been on EGF and silverstar, IMO EGF was as good as the polls said it was, i.e. the best in the world, silverstar was also fun and hit my top 10 (I only hhave ridden about 50 coasters so for a big coaster to hit top ten isn't so much of a big deal, but I did enjoy it).

I think you are taking this argument out of context slightly though. I was responding to jokerman, when he said that wood was good because people have heard of it, but airtime is not as good because people haven't. I was trying to dosprove his point by saying that since airtime coasters are still being built, albeit not as fast as wooden coasters, the general public can still see the merits of a steel airtime coaster compared to a wooden one.

I wasn't saying that steel is more popular than wood in terms of airtime. I hope this is more clear.

Ollie

CF Legend
If everyone's talking about EGF and SS then...

EGF is the best coaster I've been on.
Silver Star is one of the worst.

End off. :)

A

Anonymous

Ollie said:
If everyone's talking about EGF and SS then...

EGF is the best coaster I've been on.
Silver Star is one of the worst.

End off. :)
Sorry but EGF is pretty bad... Goliath/Piraten/Kawasemi on the other hand are awesome...

Since the UK have strict regulations about noise etc, then a Woodie like Mammut would fit a park really nice, since it's more silent than a lot of steel coasters out there.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Dude, I gotta ride goliath/piraten/kawasemi then. EGF is currently my top coaster, so those coasters must be... woooow....

Silverstar is alright, I mean it has a bit of floater, a nice helix and stuff...

On topic, how are woodies nosier than steel? I'm just asking because I'd have thought rotten wood would sponge up the noise more than a clangy metal thing...

Jools

Giga Poster
Neal said:
Rattlesnake has airtime!

Especially when the restraints aren't on properly :lol:

Both Rattlesnakes do (PWH and CWoA).

I think the noise is something to do with the vibrations and shape of the structure I think.

Jools

Giga Poster
Neal said:
Except me obviously :wink:

Well, the local GP tends to still who have been before when it was Rattlesnake, plus it's a better name anyway.

Back on topic: Pleasurewood should get a woody, lol n000b