What's new

Will the UK ever get wood again?

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Something I've been thinking about for quite a while now.

What are the chances of the UK getting a new woodie in the future,and which park is likely to install it.

As I see it,Thorpe just doesn't seem the kind of place to install one,we all know that Altons plans for one have constantly been scrapped,Chessington is a possibilty.

Obviously Blackpool have more than enough to need a new one.Oakwood? would they install another?,Drayton Manor seems another unlikely place.

Then there's Flamingoland,which seems to be expanding quite nicely,obviously they got a new coaster for this year,but could a woodie be next on the list,and if so,how long would a new investment be.

From then on,we start hitting the smaller parks,and what are the chances of them getting a wooden coaster?

So basically,will the UK ever see a new wooden coaster?

Dave

CF Legend
There will be another wooden coaster in the UK, but I think what it needs to do is capture the GP, as with rides like Saw, Nemesis, and other big thrill rides people will see the wooden coaster as if its old news, for old timers.

But if it was big, twisty, and maybe had a 90 degree turn something catchy which will grab the GP.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Yes, there will be, but probably where we least expect it. I mean, Megafobia came out of the blue and was a success for Oakwood, and there have been many other wooden coasters that unfortunately are not around with us now.

I suspect Merlin will add one somewhere to one of their park's line-ups within the next 10ish years.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I know I'm completely deluded but I'm still holding out for the legendary Alton woodie.....

Flamingoland seems the only actually likely place to get one, but like what has been mentioned before, the GP (especially most teenagers) will see a woodie as old-fashioned. Hopefully with the right advertising it could be successful though.

marc

CF Legend
People will laugh when I say this but I can see Thorpe getting one within the next few years when they fill in the lake near Stealth.

Jools

Giga Poster
southend_marc said:
People will laugh when I say this but I can see Thorpe getting one within the next few years when they fill in the lake near Stealth.

No I agree, if you look on google maps, you can see they have already started filling it in, or that could be for the hotel :?

Lets go through some of the parks in the UK:
Alton Towers: When the Roper's are no more maybe.
Thorpe Park: Possibly in the next 10-15 years
Oakwood: Wouldn't need one really
Drayton Manor: Can't see it, I don't think it's something they would focus on.
Flamingoland: Most likely, the image is so clear!
Lightwater Valley: Ultimate is very wood like, well it is a hybrid so yeh, can't see it happening.
Chessington: Maybe a smaller family woody also in the next 10-15 years.
Camelot: Would definatly stop it going bankrupt, but not enough space or money anyway.
Pleasure Beach Blackpool: I think they are focusing on steel coasters now (well it's logic).
Pleasurewood Hills: There were rumours, but that park is full of little rumours which never come true.
Fantasy Island: Highly doubt it, but it is a possibility.
All others: Would shock me!

Dave

CF Legend
Why would Oakwood not get one? They have a lot of room they are clearing at the moment. So it would be a good area to put in a RFII size coaster in.

A

Anonymous

If anywhere is Britain is going to get wood, it will be Flamingo Land.
I'm not too sure why they don't even have one already, they're a rapidly expanding park and a wooden roller coaster would really set them apart.

Everywhere else, it seems, has cashed in on the recent resurgence of wood, except for Britain. It's ridiculous. GCI are on top of the world right now.
No one is making stuff like they are right now.

The only reason I can think why FL don't have wood is that you can't paint a wooden coaster in ridiculously garish and bright colours.
Something FL seem really eager about.

Jools

Giga Poster
Ben said:
LOL

They could get one of these - http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p2977.jpg

:wink:

*Sicks in mouth a bit*

Brad said:
Love to see one at Pleasurewood Hills

Although I agree with you, i's hard to see becuase of there amount of space and money, although if they do manage to purchase the golf course next door, then it would be more possible, just look at google maps, the golf course is about twice the size of Pleasurewood!

nealbie

CF Legend
Why has no one even mentioned Paultons? :wink:

They could put one on that vegetable patch next to Cobra and T'Edge, it would make a nice addition to the little "thrill corner" that they've got going on :lol:

Snoo

The Legend
It's possible.. I don't think you guys are wood death just yet.. just, obviously, a matter of where.

A small woodie, to the likes of RFII or Prowler, could go pretty much anywhere, as they are huge or loud.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Tri_Force_Delta said:
Everywhere else, it seems, has cashed in on the recent resurgence of wood, except for Britain.

Precisely.

New woodies seem to be sprouting up all over the place,and they all get welcomed with open arms and raving reviews.

Yet the UK parks seem to over look this.

Obviously certain parks couldn't justify getting one,but what's stopping the larger ones.

A

Anonymous

That Purple wooden roller coaster made my eyes bleed.

If Flamingo Land keep improving at the rate they are currently doing so, I'm sure it won't be too long before we see them put up some wood.

Wood has proven itself.
GCI have proven themselves.
FL need to do what everyone here knows they should.

marc

CF Legend
They used to say noise but the new ones make the same amount as steel coasters.

Tbh Chessington could get a small one, but they wont as Merlin wont invest I dont think. Thorpe will get one I am sure, they are the only park I can see getting one.

They need a high capacity ride, and one thats different from the other rides in the park.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A few years ago, Nick Buckley from Flamingoland did say that a woodie was on the cards. Perhaps the economic conditions meant it was put on hold for a while.

It's the only park I can see getting wood in the next five years.

Neal, I very much doubt Paultons will get a woodie, even a t'Antelope style one. However if they do, you can be sure that you'll read it here first!