What's new

Will Hyperia be better than Nemesis?

Do you think Hyperia will or will not be better than Nemesis

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt N

CF Legend
My feeling is that unless the retrack massively changes my opinion of Nemesis (which I doubt it will), I’m anticipating that I will probably like Hyperia more.

As much as I really like Nemesis, some of those elements on Hyperia look insane, and it is a bit more “my kind of thing” than Nemesis. Hypers are usually a big winner with me, and similar versions of some of those elements on rides like VelociCoaster and Iron Gwazi rode very well indeed!

Hyperia is honestly one of my most anticipated coasters of 2024. I’m going in with an open mind, as I know that you should never count your chickens before they hatch and all that, but I reckon it could be a top 10 contender for me, and I also reckon that it could potentially usurp Icon as my favourite UK coaster!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
As has been said, "better" is subjective.

If we change the question to "Will Hyperia be consistently higher rated by people than Nemesis?", then....
Maybe.

There will be new ride syndrome where people say Hyperia is the best thing since sliced bread.

There will be people who have a 30 year connection with Nemesis.

There will be people who maybe only experienced Nemesis in its last couple of years of life where, if we're being honest, it was a little on the rough/uncomfortable/headbanging side, who will experience what will hopefully be a smoother incarnation of the ride. Those people will be surprised by Nemesis.

It will take a good year or so before things level out and we get a true indication of whether Hyperia will be consistently higher rated than Nemesis.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
There will be people who have a 30 year connection with Nemesis.

Yep, that's me. My love for that coaster will never die. I don't think my first ride on Hyperia when it opens will be the life changing experience my first ride on Nemesis was 30 years ago.
But if you ask me which coaster I'm more excited about riding in 2024, it's gonna have to be the big Mack.

Mmm... Big Mac.

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
Both Nemesis and Hyperia are very short coasters with wild elements. Nemesis is so great because it paces itself really well and every element hits (maybe the turn after the loop but that's not even really a problem with the ride so much as a quick breather). Hyperia's elements all need to hit in order for it to surpass Nemesis in my opinion, especially for the size. Hyperia has a lot of pressure that's for sure.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
New ride syndrome combined with the social media hype and arse licking aimed at Thorpe will be unbearable in the first couple of weeks. I'll be avoiding reviews for a while I think.
Nemesis has the perfect flow to it, I think Hyperia will be more of a Goliath(SFGAm) vibe where the elements are one after another with no breathing room until the brakes, but lets see.

The newbie has a lot to live up to if it will take the crown from Nemesis, still highly ranked for such an old ride for a reason.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
New ride syndrome combined with the social media hype and arse licking aimed at Thorpe will be unbearable in the first couple of weeks. I'll be avoiding reviews for a while I think.
Nemesis has the perfect flow to it, I think Hyperia will be more of a Goliath(SFGAm) vibe where the elements are one after another with no breathing room until the brakes, but lets see.

The newbie has a lot to live up to if it will take the crown from Nemesis, still highly ranked for such an old ride for a reason.
It'll be years before it can be answered... How many times have we seen it before?

Smiler comes a long, for 12 months it's the best ride in the UK, then normal service returns. Icon comes along, people proclaiming it's better than Nemesis for 6 months, then silence.... Same with almost every major coaster built at one of the big 3 parks.

This is the first time it feels like something does have a genuine chance for me though... And as nostalgic as I am, as solid as Nemesis has stood as my UK number 1 for 30 years... It would be nice to be able to say the best ride in the UK isn't a 30 year old B&M invert (a ride type I don't usually care too much for!)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
It'll be years before it can be answered... How many times have we seen it before?

Smiler comes a long, for 12 months it's the best ride in the UK, then normal service returns. Icon comes along, people proclaiming it's better than Nemesis for 6 months, then silence.... Same with almost every major coaster built at one of the big 3 parks.

This is the first time it feels like something does have a genuine chance for me though... And as nostalgic as I am, as solid as Nemesis has stood as my UK number 1 for 30 years... It would be nice to be able to say the best ride in the UK isn't a 30 year old B&M invert (a ride type I don't usually care too much for!)
I generally avoid any youtuber/social media's opinions on parks, they are never objective.
Usually the good people on here are more honest about their reviews, taking time to ride it in multiple seats and don't just say how they feel 3 seconds after getting off.

It's a shame about Icon, I genuinely think it could have been the best in the UK if they dialed it up a bit. And that is why I'm not convinced here, those trims in the splashdown indicate the last 2 hills will be massively neutered, especially in the morning. Macks do have history with warm up issues.

The timeline thing is funny, just goes to show that absolute crap that's been installed in the past 30 years in the UK, that nothing has challenged Nemesis, at all.

Proof will be in the pudding, looking forward to seeing what you all think of it.

Matt N

CF Legend
And that is why I'm not convinced here, those trims in the splashdown indicate the last 2 hills will be massively neutered, especially in the morning. Macks do have history with warm up issues.
One thing to consider with those trims at the end is the sheer height difference between the dive loop and the outerbanked turn after.

The dive loop is 141ft tall, while I would be surprised if that outerbank is much over half that height. Some degree of trimming would naturally be needed for those final two elements to not administer lethal levels of g-force.

With this in mind, I don’t think those final elements will feel as neutered as you might expect. When I attempted to recreate the ride in Planet Coaster, the final two elements still pulled -1G or so even when I made the degree of trimming fairly severe.

In terms of signals of whether Hyperia will “beat” Nemesis as the most widely revered coaster in the UK, I’d argue that looking at the reaction from abroad could be an interesting indicator, as folks from abroad aren’t reacting to UK investments with that arguable “home bias”. For instance, while Icon was hyped beyond belief in this country, it didn’t really register on the radar abroad. People from abroad who came over and rode Icon often seemed to have more subdued opinions than UK residents, even in its initial months.

With Hyperia, it really seems to be grabbing attention abroad, which many of the previous UK coasters didn’t. It’s certainly the first one I can remember that seems to have grabbed foreign attention in this way.

Last edited:

Sandman

Giga Poster
One thing to consider with those trims at the end is the sheer height difference between the dive loop and the outerbanked turn after.

The dive loop is 141ft tall, while I would be surprised if that outerbank is much over half that height. Some degree of trimming would naturally be needed for those final two elements to not administer lethal levels of g-force.

With this in mind, I don’t think those final elements will feel as neutered as you might expect. When I attempted to recreate the ride in Planet Coaster, the final two elements still pulled -1G or so even when I made the degree of trimming fairly severe.

In terms of signals of whether Hyperia will “beat” Nemesis as the most widely revered coaster in the UK, I’d argue that looking at the reaction from abroad could be an interesting indicator, as folks from abroad aren’t reacting to UK investments with that arguable “home bias”. For instance, while Icon was hyped beyond belief in this country, it didn’t really register on the radar abroad. People from abroad who came over and rode Icon often seemed to have more subdued opinions than UK residents, even in its initial months.

With Hyperia, it really seems to be grabbing attention abroad, which many of the previous UK coasters didn’t. It’s certainly the first one I can remember that seems to have grabbed foreign attention in this way.
To be fair to Icon, it was never going to grab attention from abroad. Look at what opened elsewhere in 2018. Even within the UK, Icon had to wrestle with the Merlin marketing machine thanks to the Wicker Man.

Is Hyperia getting loads of foreign attention? I couldn't say, I haven't looked at it. What I would say, though, is that 2024 isn't a particularly groundbreaking year for coasters, so maybe if that is the case, it's sort of by default. I would presume it would get a bit more attention from specific youtubers partly down to it being one of the more significant coasters to open this year, so that'll help keep content and views rolling etc.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
It baffles me that a 236ft tall rollercoaster is going to thorpe park, but will it be the best in the uk?
If the answer to this is yes, surely up until Hyperia opens, you must assume the Big One is not only better than Nemesis, but also everything else in the UK?

Clearly it isn't. Its not even the best thing in its own park, its beaten by three pre-war wooden coasters and an arrow shuttle loop for a start, but I do think it urinates all over Icon, that is a ride I really don't rate.

My honest answer is I don't know, I don't believe in rating a ride until I've actually been on it. Nemesis is a great ride, one of the best, albeit rather short, something Hyperia seems to match.

Time will tell, but I wouldn't be shocked if I prefer Stealth, Inferno and possibly the Swarm. I really don't get drawn into all this 'its new so it must be better' crap

Last edited: