What's new

Will Hyperia be better than Nemesis?

Do you think Hyperia will or will not be better than Nemesis

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it has to be. I'll be verrrry surprised if it isn't the UK's best. It'll definitely be intense and some it's elements look to be one of a kind.

(Edit: After reading some other replies I feel like I should clarify that my statement is based purely on my personal tastes. I like airtime and big, weird elements so I think I'll prefer Hyperia to Nemesis. However, there'll definitely be people who prefer Nemesis. That said, I haven't been on either and my prediction may be completely wrong!)

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
“Better” is very subjective. It is impossible to declare that “X is better than Y” as a clear-cut fact simply because people’s opinions vary so much. As such, I think it will be impossible to say whether “Hyperia is better than Nemesis” even when it’s opened. Also, I don’t think you can presume exactly how it will ride at this stage.

With that being said, I voted “Yes” in the poll.

In terms of my own personal preferences; Nemesis is not my favourite UK coaster currently (albeit it is definitely in my UK top 10 and my overall top 20), whereas a 200ft+ coaster is normally a big winner for me, with 4 of the 6 hypers I’ve ridden making my top 10 and 10/10 tier and the 5th hyper out of 6 that doesn’t only narrowly missing it, ranking at #12 and a 9/10. Some of those elements on Hyperia look absolutely sublime, and I would not be one bit surprised if it ends up being my favourite UK coaster.

In terms of its general reverence; that’s a little more up for debate. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hyperia does usurp Nemesis in this regard too. It is certainly making waves among foreign enthusiasts in a way that no UK coaster has for a very long time, and some of those elements are getting people really excited!

Sandman

Giga Poster
Will it be better than Nemesis? Perhaps
Will it have the legacy and longevity of Nemesis? A very difficult ask

I'm going in with the expectation that this should be the best coaster in the UK but it's not a guarantee. Yes it's big, yes it looks like there's some exciting moments, but on balance it's also rather short with no solid theme which I definitely think has elevated Merlins other big coasters in the past.

I'm excited to have Hyperia in the UK and to be able to ride it next year, but I'm not going to expect a lot. I want it to have the opportunity to exceed my adequately placed expectations. Ironically, I've not been blown away by a UK coaster since my first time riding Nemesis as a kid, so if Hyperia can even come close I'll be a happy chap.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I dunno... I don't have a crystal ball. It looks like it has the potential to be, but then I had the potential to be a movie star, and yet here we are...

There was another 200ft coaster that opened in 1994, I seem to remember people back then thought that would be king, even people that claimed it was better than nemmie at the time. It certainly had the potential to be the best coaster in the UK, and the stats to back that up, and yet here we are...

Stats don't mean a thing...

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I’d be surprised if Hyperia doesn’t land in my top 50 and isn’t comfortably within the realms of ‘good’. It’ll almost certainly have the best elements and airtime in the UK (not hard to beat…)

For me to be really blown away, it’ll have to deliver genuine ‘wow!’ factor on ride and you can never really tell, even from on ride POVs, how those elements will land. But I’m hopeful!

Fingers crossed for a top 20 ride but let’s see…

Last edited:

Graeme

Roller Poster
For my taste, I don't think I will like it more than Nemesis. The 1994 coaster is a perfect ride. The pacing is great, with the biggest, fastest bits in the third quarter of the ride, then it loses just enough speed before the ride ends. The banking is also what I'd expect with my '80s/'90s mind - if you turn left, you bank left etc. My only criticism would be that it runs (ran?) a bit too fast as the day went on, and became a bit too heavy on the positive Gs.

I was really excited to see the CGI videos of Project Exodus a couple of years ago, and I love the form of the ride. It reminds me of the classic "Cyclone" form, in a way. However, the more I see of it in reality, the more I doubt how enjoyable it will be to ride. You rise up into that outerbank, bank left pretty early and go round completely the opposite side of the turn to what I'd want. Every instinct in my body would want to bank right and for that to be an overbanked turn. Hyperia seems to take the RMC-style banking and just go crazy with it - maybe too much? We won't know until we've ridden it. There's also something unsatisfying about burning off so much speed with the water splash and the drop into the brakes.

Don't get me wrong, Mack are brilliant. I know they know what they're doing and I love seeing it be constructed. But for my taste, the overall style of the ride doesn't appeal to me as much as Nemesis.

the_coaster_l

Roller Poster
It’s a below average invert who’s only unique factor is the terrain use or one of the craziest coaster designs we have ever seen, with perhaps the best first drop on a coaster.

emoo

Hyper Poster
... I had the potential to be a movie star, and yet here we are...
Anything cold happen, you never know. Fingers crossed for that and that Hyperia will at least be excellent. It'll need a couple of decades adoration till we know the true comparison of old and new.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I currently have Nemesis ranked at my #15 spot. Now, that was based off a decade ago, and we're all hoping that the new Nemesis will ride the same. Regardless, it's rare nowadays that I expect a new coaster to break my Top 15. Hyperia definitely isn't one of them.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Cast my lot in with "No." Height isn't the only factor in greatness, and Nemesis still drips with authentic, genuine design - there's a reason we are retracking it versus tearing it down.

TBH, I've drawn a lot of equivocation of Hyperia to Steel Curtain (compact, 200+ ft. footprint, interesting water play elements, etc.), which I currently have ranked at #27. "Will Hyperia be a Top 25 Coaster?" I have a pretty high confidence. But Nemesis remains a GOAT for many!

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
Two very different coaster experiences, designed to do very different things. We all know and love Nemesis, it's in many enthusiasts' top 10. I'm sure that we'll all love Hyperia also, but for very different reasons. I can see them both complimenting people's top 20's if we have to choose a favourite, but that wont make Hyperia better than Nemesis or vice versa, it's subjective.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I think I will like Hyperia more. The shortness worries me, but I think its twisted drop is going to be wild, and the elements after look like they're going have to some weird airtime/laterals.

I love Nemesis, but I do feel not insane hype about it to be honest. I actually prefer Smiler in the same park. Nemesis will still be considered "up there" with Hyperia in my mind though, its use of the terrain is brilliant, it is just hard to beat a Mack Hyper.