What's new

Which of these is airtime?

Which of these is airtime?

• The feeling of coming out of your seat.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • The butterfly feeling in your stomach. (willy-lift!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of both.

• First option occasionally accumpanied with second option.

• Total voters

Lain

Giga Poster
I believe airtime is only airtime if you actually come out of your seat, when the force is < 0G. Anything above that, between 0 and 1G is where you get the butterfly feeling.

So yeah, option 1.

And I'll stamp this post with a big IMO before anyone has a go at me.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Hahah...

Okay UC, why is the best willy-lift always in cars over small humps? Surly the negative g's can't be that great. You don't leave the seat. You just get the feeling.

And why do those kids bouncing drop tower things give it loads?

....blah blah blah.

I never get it on like.. things like Nash, which are suposed to be full of 'airtime.'

Almost

Hyper Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
HAJiME said:
Hahah...

Okay UC, why is the best willy-lift always in cars over small humps? Surly the negative g's can't be that great. You don't leave the seat. You just get the feeling.

And why do those kids bouncing drop tower things give it loads?

....blah blah blah.

I never get it on like.. things like Nash, which are suposed to be full of 'airtime.'

Easy. On small humps, the train experiences a much sharper change of direction than on long, parabolically-perfect hills. Thus, the quick change in direction moves your body downward quicker than it wants to go, and produces ejector airtime, which gives your insides a sharp jolt upward, producing the feeling.

This is why these particular hills:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig628.htm?picture=6

Produce some of the best ejector air and willy-lift possible without being tall or long.

The bouncing towers give loads because again, the sharp jolt downward pulls your body down quicker than it wants to go. Your body wants to fall at a fixed rate - the sharp drop pulls you down quicker than this weight, producing ejector airtime and thus the willy-lift feeling.

He was saying they're the best in automobiles.

My explanation is that you may not be expecting it, so it's kind of a shock and the 'willy-lift' feeling comes.

My explanation is anything out of your seat.

A

Anonymous

^Surely in a car you cant get less than 0G, as the car isn't held down?
(And You will fall with the car at the same speed)
..Unless I misunderstood you?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I get you UC, i see.

But do you agree it's an individual reaction also? Like not everyone experianced the same levels of willy-lift (i love the way everyones using it in a serious manner now, lol) all the time?

Like some days i get it on the weirdest things! Like On Dragon Falls, (the world's crappiest log flume! yaaaay!) and occasionally elsewhere.

When your expecting it, it's never to ..orgasmic. It needs to catch you by suprise!

A

Anonymous

Well i think that the proper explanation for Airtime is any time on the ride where you are off of you seat. This is where the zero g comes in and this givesyou the weightless feeling. IMO that's what i think it is !

A

Anonymous

The combination of both, really. Although, What I class as intense airtime is the horrible gut feeling that really seems to tug at your intestines.

Angel

Hyper Poster
Tbh I would say any of them. I dont give a flying monkeys about what it really is and the scientific stuff. Do we ride a coaster and go "Ohhhhhhh negative G's!" Well I have certainly never seen anyone do that. Airtimes airtime, its what we make it and if we want it. Everyone has different opinions of the matter, are we really ever going to get to a logical solution without science getting in the way?!

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I voted for the last option, although its not necessarily completely coming out of your seat, just a bit of a 'hover' sometimes. The stomach feeling isn't always there, but the only time it does occur, its accompanied by one of the others.

A

Anonymous

TBH, i only get will lift going down drops. I never get it wile i am experiencing true airtime, like on the nash on the double drop. I get it while flying down the drop, but as soon as i get to the second part of the drop, i fly out of my seat and the willy lift is gone. I love them both, but IMO airtime is only the feeling of coming out of your seat.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Yeah, the more powerful the airtime, the less you get that feeling in my opinion. The Nash's double drop is more of a sharp crash of airtime, rather than the floating type, and it lasts for less time, therefore giving less time for that stomach feeling to occur.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
UC is right about the differing airtimes. It's when you experience less than normal gravity, plus all that other stuff he said; except about will-lift! ;)

Willy-lift IS a reaction to airtime, but also to other things. It's a reaction to do with the balance centres of your brain, warning you that you're about to come a cropper from a fall. It's closely linked to the same mechanisms that give you motion sickness and the like. It's purely your body saying "Arrrrrgh, I'm falling over, do something to correct it"

This is why you can get willy-lift from hump back bridges in cars, small amounts of "floater" airtime, and even going down a slope in curve like on a pirate ship, or the first drop of a coaster; these don't actually have "airtime" but your body is going through the same "panic" reaction.

I think that's the willy-lift out of the window anyway, but don't let the police catch you doing it! ;)

kir

Hyper Poster
In my opinion, it's not airtime if you don't get a willy-lift.

I don't find floating or being ejected from your seat anything particularly exciting. It's a very nice feeling, but it's pointless really if it's not accompanied with a willy-lift.

kir

Hyper Poster
But I just don't get a willy-lift on swinging ships!

I have a small theory, if you are being dragged downwards on a more gentle hill the airtime is floater-esque, and if you are being dragged downwards on a very steep hill the airtime becomes ejector-esque. Is it possible that somewhere between the two there is a balance of not quite floater but not quite ejector, hence creating a willy-lift?