What's new

What other kind of B&M should have a Launch?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
A launched flyer? interesting...
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. But if it happens anywhere, it'll probably be China.

An invert or a hyper could work too, but to catapult a 20 tonne B&M hyper train over a 200+ft hill would take one hell of a launch!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Howie,

Check this bad boy out then...

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjFVF2uv7hM[/youtubevid]

Not quite a B&M Hyper train but still 24 rides and 4 across seating.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The most unique, novel B&M to be launched would be a flyer - we have seen launched versions of other train types already. Even a simple application as a lift launch immediately into a pretzel roll would be a fantastic element.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Howie said:
A launched flyer? interesting...
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. But if it happens anywhere, it'll probably be China.

How about a flyer that launches into a pretzel loop? Come on B&M, get your act together.

mouse

Giga Poster
Yeah a flyer would be the most interesting launched experience, particularly an inclined launch or launch into an inversion. Personally I don't think the bulky track and heavy trains of a B&M would really suit a launch, they don't seem as nippy or snappy as the best launched coasters.

BigBad

Mega Poster
A short hyper train would work very well. If it's just four cars long, it wouldn't be so crazy to launch. I'm not suggesting a hyper-style layout, but perhaps that could work.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
You need the same amount of energy to launch a coaster train as you do to haul it up a lift hill, so the train weight isn't really a limiting factor - provided the launch system is durable enough, of course.

I think B&M could make a good launched sit-down coaster (or perhaps I should say more than one good launched sit-down coaster), with or without a floor. They make good coasters with lift hills, and past the initial drop it doesn't matter much whether the ride was propelled by gravity or a launch. Likewise, I think they could create some amazing launched Inverts, though it would sacrifice the "suspended high in the air with nothing below you" feeling. Same goes for Flyers. A launch would be exciting, but a lift hill is too, so the overall experience would neither be improved nor worsened by a launch.

Last, I'm going to suggest making a launched version of their Family Suspended coasters, just because nobody else has yet.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Pokemaniac said:
You need the same amount of energy to launch a coaster train as you do to haul it up a lift hill, so the train weight isn't really a limiting factor - provided the launch system is durable enough, of course.
C'mon Poke, you know better than that... ;)

A lift hill with a drop that gives the train a max speed of 60 mph, and a launch to a max speed of 60 mph have both given the train the same amount of energy. However the lift hill did it in a minute or so, whereas the launch did it in four seconds. The launch requires a lot more power, which is the crux of the issue.

Accelerating a heavy train is doable if you've got the infrastructure to support that sort of power draw (or the money to invest in energy storage). The B&M trains are really big and heavy, which I think is probably partly why Thunderbird only has five cars, rather than Gatekeeper or X-Flight with eight. Hulk is an exception of course, but that's a unique case so not enough to form any real trends from.