What's new

What are you reading?

Rach

Giga Poster
Richie said:
I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince in time for Harry Potter 7
49_49.gif

Well... listening to the audio book :p

I'm also reading that, ready for Saturday :D

But not the audio book :lol:

Lain

Giga Poster
Yesterday I bought my first 'proper' book that wasn't by JK Rowling since, well... ever!

IMG_0659.jpg

So far so good.

Also, train tickets make excellent bookmarks.

I've finally decided to pick up a book, after a long while of not reading anything. The book is called Finding Grace, and it's pretty good so far, and something a bit different from the books I normally read. It's pretty intriguing, since one of the main characters has brain damage and you learn new things about her past and how she was before she got injured, as each chapter goes by.

So, 8/10 so far!

Jer

Strata Poster
well i need to put A Clockwrok Orange aside for now (it's excellent BTW) for my school usmmer reading book The ABC murdurs by Agatha Cristie...which isn't too great btw.

I finished Finding Grace yesterday, after pretty much reading the last two hundred or so pages in one sitting. It was really good I found, and it did leave me with a bit of unanswered questions, but for the most part I really enjoyed it! End made me a bit sad though.

8.5/10

I'm reading Gemini Summer right now, it sounds kind of stupid but oh well, it keeps me occupied, might as well just give it a chance.

A

Anonymous

Latest instalment of Harry Potter, between looking after Jason, but only have a few pages left- then it will be off to the library for me!

Johnny

Hyper Poster
I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird, but as an English assignment over the summer. Other than that, I don't read. :)

Almost

Hyper Poster
The Wave

Its about a history teacher that needed an idea to explain how the Nazi's did their deeds without even thinking about it and uses the same technique on his students. A few days of the experiment pass and they're all hooked. Its only 135 pages also.

Ben

CF Legend
Woo!

I finished The Stand today after a few months of reading it on and off, and it was fantastic! It wasn't anything like I thought it would be, but it was really good. More a book about people and the way they respond to the situation they are in then a "scary" book, but I loved it anyway.

Not King's best book, I prefer IT and The Shining, but certainly a brilliant one.

And now I'm reading 1984, which I read a few years ago, and I absolutely adored it. And then I'll read The Green Mile, Dreamcatcher and Cujo on holiday and a bit after.

I'm going through a reading phase at the moment. W00t!

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
Just finished Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, which surprised by being every bit as good as 1984. Perhaps it was the way that Huxley was sympathetic towards the future dystopia - after all, a world where the population is controlled by the forced pleasure is a lot more desirable than the bleak totalitarian society laid bare in 1984.

If you like 1984 (and who doesn't) then you'll probably like Brave New World, although there is less of a "story" contained within it.

Rich Bacon

Roller Poster
The Traveller ("Traveler" for American edition) by John Twelve Hawks.

Its hard to describe really but think of the Matrix crossed with Kill Bill. Its part of a Trilogy called "The Fourth Realm" and Id definately recommend it to everyone. Im pretty certain it'll be made into a film in the next few years.

American copy:

UK copy:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Started reading 'Chart Throb' by Ben Elton. It's, well, it's a Ben Elton book. They're all a cynical look and witty perspective on [insert subject matter here]. I think he has a computer program which just fills in the blanks, because each book is pretty much the same.

That doesn't mena it's bad, it's easy reading, just nothing really original.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just finished Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows. Very good series.

Lofty

CF Legend
I am going to start reading a book called Buried, I can't remember who its by but it looks and is meant to be a very good read!

thx

Mega Poster
Coincidentally I am also reading 1984 atm, thanks to a school course thing. It's good and interesting so far (read over a third). Last book I read was The Dark Half by Stephen King, really good, it's my favourite book so far, however I am kind of disappointed in the ending, but it's still my favourite King book out of these 4 not-that-good King's I've read (this and Pet Sematary, Long Walk, Thinner)

A

Anonymous

At the moment im reading Mahoromatic (Automatic maid) its a Manga graphic novel. Its very funny and is pretty odd but it is a 16 plus so plenty of nudy bits.

Ben

CF Legend
I read some more King...

Cujo- Great for the first 200 pages. Then when the car thing starts it just goes downhilll and the ending sucks (like most King).

Salem's Lot- Quite good, but again, one hell of a sucky ending.

The Green Mile- Loved it, absolutely loved it. It's one of my favorite films ever, and the book was just as good.

And I'm currently on Bag of Bones. It's quite good so far, a nice departure from usual King.