Votes: 15 16.9%
  • No, I am opposed to using illegal drugs

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • No, but I would be open to trying it

Votes: 18 20.2%

• Total voters

Dave

CF Legend
I've done it a few times, but I don't enjoy the paranoia I can sometimes get off it. Very unpleasant.

reddude333

Giga Poster
My counter is the same as FYN, I don't drink or do drugs...so I think I can use the "respect my body" argument. I definitely like to stay in shape and don't feel the need for any of the above discussed substances.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ah, but the physical "harm" of consuming pot is all in what it's actually contained in. So if you eat it in a chocolate brownie, that's 200 calories of fats and sugars doing the harm. The pot is as healthy as some shredded lettuce.

Long term effects are unproven (particular from consuming). Anyway, I wasn't referring to people who are "perfect" and take no other forms of drugs (caffeine, chocolate, etc) to counter. Smug people don't need to comment ;) :p

Ben

CF Legend
I wish I respected my body as well...

Oh wait, yesterday I swam 2.5k, the day before I ran 10, today I'll bike about 20, Saturday I ran about 12... (I'm training for an Olympic-length Triathlon next year, and the Marathon as soon as the waiting list allows me to!)

But, obviously, the bit of weed I had Saturday night has ruined all that for me and I'm going to die an unhealthy blob :(

You do NOT have to avoid weed to stay in shape, like Phil said. Respecting your body means treating it with moderation and care, not treating it like its glass which will shatter the moment it's not absolutely perfect. I exercise a good 6 days out of 7 (I probably do too much actually, but, eh), so, don't give me that.

Dave

CF Legend
Quite interesting graph:

Drug_danger_and_dependence.png

reddude333

Giga Poster
^ What's the source? Just wondering...

Also, I understand that there are many world-class athletes that take drugs including marijuana but I personally believe that substances such as marijuana, tobacco (especially when smoked), and alcohol (especially in excess) are not good for my body and will not benefit me athletically in any way. Not saying it's the scum of the earth but definitely not something I need.

Sam

Giga Poster
kimahri said:
^ Or just generally not interested.

I don't find that strange, I fully understand why alot of people don't smoke it....

What I find amusing is the amount of people who have clearly had their heads in the Daily Mail for too long who clearly know nothing about an argument they're trying to contribute to....

thx

Mega Poster
^Exactly. Over here it's very hard to find some weed, strangely enough it was easier in Finland, yet you couldn't call it easy by far. Also the general opinion about it is still quite so condemning, even though it's getting more and more relaxed all the time. It doesn't really help that even if we have great press freedom http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index#Worldwide_Press_Freedom_Index they still **** censored a segment from a weed documentary, where they told about the 'benefits' of it...Having said that Finland actually has medical marijuana currently provided for like 12 people, which is a step in the right direction. Fact is though that Finland and Sweden are both heavy drinking nations, despite the expensive alcohol. Finnish people consume 10.4 liters of pure alcohol a year, which would be around 12 small cans (33cl) of 4.5%-5% beer a week for everybody and when you think about all tiny kids, none drinkers, it adds up to quite an amount. Anyway the state is 'loosing' billions of euros because of alcohol related diseases, deaths which I guess is why they are afraid of even thinking about making weed decriminalized etc. I know that argument is sort of flawed, but you know what I mean. Funny fact is though that back in 1975, they had a voting in the parliament about legalizing weed and the results got all even (as far as I know it's the only time that's happened in Finland!) and they had to flip a coin to decide and well, no luck then.

---

Personally I think weed is pretty nice, but because of how hard it's to get and how not worth the money it usually is here, I only have it very rarely like once every 4 months or even less.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I just gave it a try the other night, and it didn't really do anything for me. I vaporized with some friends who were experienced smokers and they told me the stuff we were smoking was very high-quality, but I just got a little bit of a funny buzz, that's it. I've also been told that hardly anyone gets high the first time, so I guess I will try again at some point.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, I'll participate in a the odd joint now and then. I certainly don't smoke as frequently as I did in my mid-20's, I'm probably down to a couple of joints a month now. If that.

I only seem to do it when I've been drinking. It's a sure-fire way of knocking myself out.

I don't like being stoned throughout the day (unless I'm in Amsterdam) or when I'm driving, but if I'm round a mates, or camping in a field, then why the **** not?

I actually blame my lack of spliffage for a recent lack of creativity. When I smoke weed, my mind initially races all over the place until it picks something to focus on and then I give that something deep thought.

Meh, like anything you use to fuel your body and mind, it's fine in moderation.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
madhjsp said:
I just gave it a try the other night, and it didn't really do anything for me. I vaporized with some friends who were experienced smokers and they told me the stuff we were smoking was very high-quality, but I just got a little bit of a funny buzz, that's it. I've also been told that hardly anyone gets high the first time, so I guess I will try again at some point.

Yeah, you do actually need to "learn to smoke". You have to get the smoke right into your lungs, most new smokers end up with it in their mouths and losing most of it, or just not inhaling deeply. It's not a natural thing to be honest and I certainly didn't smoke properly for a fair few times.

Ian, the way dope affects your brain is that it pretty much cuts of the ability to absorb new information, but it stimulates the parts of the brain that store long term memory and allows you to "cross reference" in more obscure ways. Otherwise known as creativity. As long as you can remember that misfiring, then you have increased creativity.

I also find I'm much more alert and active following a smoking session (as long as there's no alcohol involved). I'm so relaxed and mellow from the night before that I bounce up the following day. Not just creative, but much more active generally.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
furie said:
madhjsp said:

Yeah, you do actually need to "learn to smoke". You have to get the smoke right into your lungs, most new smokers end up with it in their mouths and losing most of it, or just not inhaling deeply. It's not a natural thing to be honest and I certainly didn't smoke properly for a fair few times.

Yeah that's probably the biggest factor. It's really a very different technique from smoking, say, a cigar, which really is the extent of my previous experience.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I don't have a problem with weed if I'm totally honest. I'd be lying if I said I haven't been tempted to try it from time to time, but generally it doesn't interest me. I'd probably end up embarrassing myself anyway considering how much I coughed when I had shisha with some of my friends, so if my body threw a hissy fit about something as harmless as that... (my best friend is convinced the cafe in Camden snuck something nasty in there anyway).

It's not not weed I have a problem with, it's **** like heroin that really infuriates me. That stuff has ruined my family more than enough times, and because of heroin and a few other drugs one of my ex-friends now does nothing but roam aimlessly around the streets of London constantly off his head with a cracked nose and virtually no idea how to form a sentence. I know it's down to how people treat it, but for now I plan to steer clear of drugs.

Yah, give it a few more goes if you really want a high. The first two or three times I smoked it, my technique was all wrong and I barely got any kind of high. Half I think just sat in my mouth, the other half I'm pretty sure I coughed out, haha. I was a noob.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Enigma Shadow said:
I don't have a problem with weed if I'm totally honest. I'd be lying if I said I haven't been tempted to try it from time to time, but generally it doesn't interest me. I'd probably end up embarrassing myself anyway considering how much I coughed when I had shisha with some of my friends, so if my body threw a hissy fit about something as harmless as that... (my best friend is convinced the cafe in Camden snuck something nasty in there anyway).

It's not not weed I have a problem with, it's **** like heroin that really infuriates me. That stuff has ruined my family more than enough times, and because of heroin and a few other drugs one of my ex-friends now does nothing but roam aimlessly around the streets of London constantly off his head with a cracked nose and virtually no idea how to form a sentence. I know it's down to how people treat it, but for now I plan to steer clear of drugs.

It's often classed as a gateway drug, and that's often the biggest "against" held towards using it. It really does all depend on the user though. It's never been that for me, because I'm strong enough not to lured in. Yeah, I've tried a few things, and probably wouldn't if I hadn't had weed, but I wouldn't have tried weed if I hadn't had alcohol. I wouldn't have tried alcohol if I'd not got a buzz from adrenaline, dopamine, caffeine, etc. It's all about feeding your body desires and understanding if your personal desires are more important than your future and the well being of yourself and those you care for.

Some people can't handle it and are sadly too selfish to get away from it. I think those people will end up lost in a booze haze by the time they're an adult anyway, and if they do "gateway" to heroin and the like, it's simply a faster way to kill themselves through their hunt for something else to satisfy them. Some people can balance it, some people can treat these things with the proper respect. Sadly everyone is different and some people are just prone to being victims of themselves. It's sad, and pot can certainly help, but I think it's not a gateway, more a second or third step beyond the gateway to be honest. If somebody who is prone is on to dope, then it's already too late for them...

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I read the whole topic, and if I'm honest, I never expected some CFers to either have done it or to be doing it now. My opinion on you lot doesn't change though.

Personally, when I lived at home, I lived in a household full of the stuff. My brother used to deal it, smoked it daily and my mum occasionally had one. In fact, I used to help my brother work out weights, prices and profit margins.

Having said that, I have never knowingly taken an illegal substance, and I don't feel I ever will. I have no doubt that once I get to uni, I'll be exposed to it once again, but I won't take the stuff.

I have nothing against it, nothing against it's users, and I actually think it is better for you than smoking tobacco, drinking or taking any alternate illegal substances.

ryan462

Hyper Poster
I smoke weed a few times a week (mainly weekends) and enjoy most sessions. The majority of my friends also smoke so quite oftenly when we don't fancy a night out, we will happily just get stoned at one of our houses and still have a pretty good time. The main things I love about it include tripping out to music, the laughing fits and the general sociability of it

Iv actually stopped smoking for a bit now though because I'm having a two month tolerance break to tie in with the months of my A-Levels and set myself up for the summer.

^ How did I know both you and Brad would post in this topic, despite not really being regular posters anymore? :p

Love ya really! And my first English weed smoking experience was at your house so.. You should really feel honoured! <3

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
^^I knew there had to be a reason why you look constantly stoned! I kept thinking it to myself, and then Ian went ahead and said "Ryan, I swear you look stoned all the time..." at the Tolworth Lodge haha.

I can imagine it must be really trippy when you're listening to dubstep.