What's new

Universal IOA | Incredible Hulk | B&M Retrack

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Universal IOA to close Hulk for new enhancements

The Flyer vests are a different kettle of fish entirely though - there they act as support because you're hanging. Also, because you're always putting pressure on them, they never constrict you like the wing coasters do. I've not experienced them on an invert yet, but wing coasters for me just get tighter and tighter to the point of discomfort.

Ben

CF Legend

Haha, you don't add vests to a coaster to 'look modern'...

Joey, they're absolutely awful on Banshee, really ruins the ride (that and the fact it's terrible anyway).

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Ben said:

Joey, they're absolutely awful on Banshee, really ruins the ride (that and the fact it's terrible anyway).
Well instead of shooting down my suggestion, why don't you come up with a reason yourself?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

owentaylor121 said:
Ben said:

Well instead of shooting down my suggestion, why don't you come up with a reason yourself?
Hmm, says Mr. "I'm gonna call Joey's post most stupid post of the year for daring to discuss Cedar Point in any detail past IT IS T3H AWESOME"

Honestly and tentatively for fear of being called an idiot again, I think the reason is most likely to offer parks a choice. Which is a crock of turds and both parks and manufacturers get excited about gimmicks and "innovation" without actually thinking, it seems. Remember when Hersheypark claimed Skyrush's seating designed to make the ride family friendly and give riders a choice? Haha, yeah, that. That idiocy from people in charge who don't understand the medium, who claim that some new idea will solve some non-problem.

andrus

Giga Poster

As far as I know the newer B&M restraints have a lap bar to enable slower inversions with hangtime (like the in-line rolls on the wing coasters). The vest is only there to restrict upper body movement, I guess.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

I think it would be quite interesting to see how the newer restraint design would ride without the vest. Then you've basically got the Mack restraint (and now Intamin too), and that seems to work. And I'd imagine there's more lateral movement on those than a B&M.

andrus

Giga Poster

^Yes, I think that would work too. Although the bulky beams that holds up the lap bar would need to be redesigned, so that people won't hit their heads (which could be one of the reasons why B&M use a vest instead).

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

^ Without the vest, I don't think the upper body movement will be to the point where your head hits the restraint.

X-Flight-Joel-Back-Right-Outer-Seat-225x300.jpg

sauce

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Exactly. The point of the vest is to limit upper body movement. B&M can get away without the vest on kiddie coasters, as there are simply fewer forces.

The B&M Flyer restraint was first introduced on a non-flyer roller coaster with Banshee at Kings Island. The stated purpose of the restraints was for a more open, comfortable restraint. This was combined with the new train design that provided for less visual impediment by reducing columns holding the seats to the chassis.

Ultimately the decision for using the new restraints boils down to the park. I still wouldn't be surprised to see the flyer restraints on the new style trains.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

Hyde said:
The B&M Flyer restraint was first introduced on a non-flyer roller coaster with Banshee at Kings Island. The stated purpose of the restraints was for a more open, comfortable restraint. This was combined with the new train design that provided for less visual impediment by reducing columns holding the seats to the chassis.

Are you classing Wing coasters as flyers? I Assumed Raptor at Gardaland was the first non flyer to incorporate the vests.

I think the vests are incorporated to reduce the vulnerability felt by the riders, i think we as enthusiasts like the feeling of vulnerability but the general public don't. They like a thrill but also want to know they are in safe hands. With the vest restraints you know full well that you aren't falling out anytime soon and thats how the majority of riders want to feel. I was telling my GF about RMC and how they invert wooden coasters with just a lapbar and she just straight up said she wouldn't ride an inverting coaster without an OTSR. I remember riding Altair at Cinnecitta World and i was genuinely terrified going through the heartlines with the lap bar and i can imagine a lot of people being put off by the vulnerability of that ride.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Surely there has to be a way to stop the tightening effect these restraints have though? I think one of the main reasons I HATE flyers/wing coasters is because these restraints make me feel so claustrophobic. I honestly feel like I can't breathe in them because they're so tight that my chest can't expand for me to take a proper breath.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Joey said:
Does anyone know or have a theory on why B&M introduced the vests in the first place? Their ostr was the best, the vest is worse in every way. The only thing I can think of is improved h&s, but, how?

I'd like to throw something else in other than the usual responses we've already had.
What if its to do with the mechanical and design patent B&M have?

Mechanical (utility) patents last 20 years from the approved filing date at an Intellectual Property office. These have a maintenance fee and are completely renewable if significant change has been made to the design every 20 years.

Design patents last 14 years. They have no maintenance fees and are not subject to renewal, making the designs public domain after this period of time.

I think the design swap is more to do with the patent free-for-all and a fraction less to do with end user experience.

At the end of the day, manufacturers need a reason for clients to purchase their projects, which is why we go through these evolutions so a company can gain an exclusive unique marketing point.

"Come to B&M because our restraints are the most comfy, safest and refined in the world. It has this, this and this feature now that nobody else can manufacture for 20 years..." That kind of stuff.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I think that's a different shade, but that might just be because it's fresh. Still, it's nice!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Martyn B said:
I think that's a different shade, but that might just be because it's fresh. Still, it's nice!

Well, if you're being super specific! :lol:

I meant more like it's not black and green or something different like we pondered a few pages back. Nice and glossy though!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

It does look a bit dull tbh. Compared to other new B&M track that has a very persistent gloss over it, this is quite dull. It's still better than rustic green, but I just thought that was interesting.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

GuyWithAStick said:
It does look a bit dull tbh. Compared to other new B&M track that has a very persistent gloss over it, this is quite dull. It's still better than rustic green, but I just thought that was interesting.
Ha is this the nitpick thread?

Well it's new paint, on new track, so all in all an overall plus for me!

All B&M's trucks must be going to Orlando at the moment!

*awaits correction comment on B&M's haulage ha ;)*

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend

Interested to see if the layout has been modified or amended at all, really hope it still has the old school 'snap' and not the smoother B&M's now.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Yay! New Paint! Crazy how quickly the color fades - here's a shot from the last repaint that happened for Hulk.

2ezr9r8.jpg