What's new

TR:USofA: KD,BGW,KW,Wald,CP,HP,DP,SFGAdv and a Space Shuttle

Hutch

Strata Poster
Re: TR:USofA : KD, BGW, Kennywood, Waldameer, Cedar Point...

Another great report. While I really liked Maverick, I too was bothered by the OSTRs and the neck snapping. Although I only rode it once, so I would to try it again and see if I'll enjoy it a little more.

davidm

Strata Poster
Re: TR:USofA : KD, BGW, Kennywood, Waldameer, Cedar Point...

Monday 3/6

Nothing to see here.

Check out of CP in the morning, drive for quite a while, check into hotel in Harrisburg in
the afternoon. Went to see that Star Trek in the evening, a bit "meh" I thought.

Tuesday 4/6: Hersheypark

Hersheypark I've been to a couple of times (2003/2007) and liked it. They had kindly
built not just one, but two big shiny rides that interested me since my last visit so I was
quite looking forward to this.

So I make a beeline for Skyrush first up to see what all the fuss is about and walk-on
to the front row. Interesting I thought, crazy airtime yes but didn't find it particularly
fun airtime somehow - genuinely thought that the ride was trying to throw me out of my
restraint somehow though and thats pretty much a first. Rode it a few more times in
various places (and later in the day too) and that didn't change my opinion too much -
perhaps I just prefer the B&M floaty airtime rather than this violent stuff. I didn't have
a problem with the restraints either, thought it was interesting that they 1/2 release them
when you are on the break-run though, not seen that before.

On my first trip here I had thought Great Bear a little bit rubbish for some reason,
however after I came back in 2007 I learned to like it and liked it again this time too.
Although because of lots of school trips I did have to Q for it for longer than was
strictly polite

Rather strangely after Qing for the B&M for 1/2 hour I wander around the park a bit
and Stormrider is walk-on (and GB's Q was even longer when I left it than when I joined
it). SO I have a few goes on that ; probably enjoyed it more this time than the
last time I was here too.

Rode the boomerang next; didn't hurt too much so that was nice (skipped it in '07 I
remember since it gave me a headache in '03)

Right the other new shiny ride (for me) was Fahrenheit which I had in my mind was generally
derided by the coaster-community... well I rather enjoyed it (despite a 40 min Q).

Not as good as Skyrush, but certainly good, probably enjoyed it as much as Maverick,
possibly because I automatically adopted the neck-saving bracing position this time?

And its quite pretty too

Rest of the day I spent riding the rest of their stuff, some good rides on Lightning
Racer (which was my favourite woody for quite a while a few years ago), but Wildcat
was particularly painful this year - shame.

Q-times remained odd for the rest of the day, Fahrenheit and Great Bear seemed to keep
their Q whilst Skyrush was almost walkon in the afternoon (and had a full pen in the
morning) - the woodies were walk-on (although I saw a Q for Comet in the AM too).

The mine train was as rubbish as I remembered

They appear to be doing some drastic work to the old factory buildings.

So ultimately another great day at the park right from opening to closing again. The
school kids thinned out late afternoon (park closed at 8) but I was in photo-mode
by then rather than riding.

And I did do the factory-tour dark ride thingy too, bit trippy with a bunch of
singing cows and stuff

Bit of a crap mascot though (even if it did pose for my photo)

davidm

Strata Poster
Re: TR:USofA : KD,BGW,KW,Waldameer,Cedar Point,Hersheypark..

Wednesday 5/6: Dorney Park

Another place I had not been to for 10 years. Since then they had torn down a big
nasty woody and subbed a Schwarzkopf looper for a couple of relocations. So in fact
there were a number of +1s for me here ; I had missed the mouse and the kiddie coasters
on my previous visit, Hydra was obviously new for me and the two relocations, whilst
I had seen both before (Invertigo at Paramount's Great America in 2002 and Superman
Ultimate Escape at Worlds of Adventure in 2003) they were both not running on the
relevant days that I was at those parks..... +5 for the day then.

Talon is a good ride. Nice B&M invert, still running well and great fun - more intense
than yesterday's Great Bear but both are still great fun. Had a few rides on this
to start off my day with a bang.

+1 - and the longest Q of the day (the very slow Q was what made me skip this ride 10
years ago!). Slow operations I put it down to, a somewhat overcomplicated (for a mouse)
loading process I felt. Did notice that the station loading / safety announcements were
all in the form of an electro/rap tune, which amused me greatly.

Hercules' replacement looks very pretty, but was only OK I thought - bit rattly but fun
enough. Was a total walk-on though - the only delay I had was from some vomit removal
(not mine).

Torn between whether Talon or Steel Force is my favourite here, I think this big old
monster just edges it though

Yeah its not very complicated, but I seem to have a liking for these types of machine

And they are big and impressive

These old Intamin drop rides are a nasty piece of work, ridden a couple of these (but
not this one when it was at Cedar Point in the past). It appears to have had a lick of
paint and a tidy up, but was still a bit evil.

Thunderhawk was very old and a bit rattly - but you forgive the very old things these
problems don't you!

Nothing very impressive about relocation #1, bit more interesting that the normal
boomerangs but its still a boomerang!

This one was much more fun, having ridden CP's Wicked Twister a few days before I was
all rather blasé about this, but it did have a little trick I wasn't expecting (the
momentary hold on the back spike) sop that was nice.

+1

The train ride is pretty old too, but still kept well

And I said these things were all over the place

Another fascist wheel;

And a few more snaps of the nice beemer to end the day.

So this place gets a lot of stick ; don't know why, place was quiet, clean - good range
of rides and I had a good day. Only complaint is the somewhat hilly terrain but
frankly for a place thats been around this long they can't do much about that.

I asked an employee at one stage whether it ever got busy, she said the weekends sometimes
and it was still early-season; but HP yesterday was very busy compared to DP just down
the road today; shame.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Re: TR:USofA : KD,BGW,KW,Waldameer,Cedar Point,Hersheypark..

The photos are simply beautiful especially the ones from Cedar Point, they were amazing. Awesome trip report!

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Re: TR:USofA:KD,BGW,KW,Wald,Cedar Point,Hersheypark,DorneyPa

The work on the factory in Hershey, according to a tm there, is the, tearing it down as they outsourced the plant to Mexico.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I think the issue with Dorney is that there's just no atmosphere to the place. I agree that there are some great rides (and I loved Steel Force) - but it's just "go in, ride the rides in an hour or so, re-ride another hour and then, bored, go home". I feel much the same about Thorpe to be honest.

Fahrenheit I thought was an okay ride, but it just didn't really do anything new for me that I hadn't already done better - but which I didn't really think much of anyway (except the Norwegian loop I guess). The vertical lift and beyond vertical drop was just the same as a Eurofighter's (which I find nothingy), the Norwegian Loop was fun, but nothing compared to the super one on Speed Monster (though I think launch and location make that one better) - the rest of the layout is just tight, clunky and same old same old Intamin inversions. It just didn't really seem to excel anywhere, but it wasn't bad either.

davidm

Strata Poster

^^ did some Googling, their new factory is still in PA just out of the town a little.

^ don't disagree about Dorney, just its a shame its not more popular => more atmosphere!

And surprised you even bothered with Fahrenheit Phil, after all you've been on another Eurofighter! ;-)

--

Right must soldier on , nearly there now...

Thursday 6/6: Great Adventure

Like Hershey, I'd been here a couple of times, in 2003 and 2007, but its a big decent
park and it'd be a bit rude not to have popped in while I was in the neighbourhood.

Oddly I'd had a fairly miserable time in 2003 and a great time in 2007 ; so I was unsure
on how the day would pan-out... probably 50-50 I guess!

Weather was overcast today so pics aren't going to be up to much, but we'll have a try...

--

I wanted to start off with El Toro, since that was easily my favorite ride here last trip,
but as I headed in (what I remebered being) its general direction I found I could not cut
across from Kingda Ka to El Toro, so I had to ride KK first. And compared to TTD a few
days earlier, it was horrible, REALLY bouncy and just not as fun as its little brother -
shame.

After backtracking across the park far too much to get from KK to Toro, I find that
its walk-on so I start at the front of the train and work my way backwards over the
course of the next half-hour or so - sadly it wasn't as stunning as I remember it being
but its still a top ride. Thought that the mad moment of ejector air as you head into
the Rolling Thunder infield area was much less vilent than a few years previous?

A Q had started to build up for the ride by the time I've done with it, but I did feel
quite smug and happy (ops were letting people stay in seats on a couple of cycles)
with my Toro-timing.

Rolling Thunder was next, only because its next door... felt even more like it was due
for demolition soon.

After a quick trip on Bizarro/Medusa (couldn't see the point in the retheme for anything
other than accountancy purposes) I manage to get my first +1 of the day... Runaway Mine
Train (which had not been running on either of my previous trips) - and I was secretly
very geeky-happy that it was running today!

I work my way across the top of the park (whose layout irritated me something rotten,
I remember it being this sort of big T shape but certainly not as burdenous as
I felt it was today ; what with the no-cut-through from KK to El Toro and a huge dead
area (closed off) where you used to be able to walk around Chiller (RIP), the park
layout is just horrible nowadays) picking off the rides as I go, not much of a Q
for anything either.

Dark Knight is the next +1, and this is a bit useless really - good preshow, then just
a mouse-in-a-box (albeit with much faster operations that Dorney Park's mouse). I
thought that there was more "stuff" in the ride that the other version I have ridden at
Great America a few years back, but that could be my dodgy memory playing tricks on me.
Anyway, +1, move on.

The box that the mouse is in, and some dead themeing from Chiller...

Batman is still a worthy experience though, 20 years old and still beautiful...

The last +1 was (he said shamefully) the kiddie Road Runner Railway.

...Nitro is only a 5 minute wait - wonderful.

Have a couple of rides on this beauty and really enjoy it, fantastic stuff, tons of
airtime and (apart from the helixy bit) total fun. The only annoying bit of the
ride is the stupidly long ramp you have to negotiate to get off the thing;

Head back to the main midway and I discover where all the Qs are, on Superman (which
I do stick out the 1/2 hour wait for) and Green Lantern (which I don't even attempt ;
for 2 reasons - I can see the queue pens are pretty full from the Superman Q and I've
ridden it a few times before in it's previous home in Kentucky, so I was a bit "meh"
about the effort - I felt that the Q time would be better spent elsewhere).

(Did take a few pics of !Chang - its quite nice looking - a little later in the day though)

I grab my camera mid-afternoon, but the weather isn't helping much (and the new Safari
attraction doesn't open so I don't even get to take pics of animals either) so after
a while I bung the camera in a locker and spent the last hour of the day (park shut at
6) riding Nitro... which was just a great way to round off my coaster trip I think!

--

So an odd day - couple of great coasters of course, but the park itself annoyed me a
bit; place needs to up its game a bit, the other big SF parks (MM/GA/Texas) are better
places I think.

--

Friday 7/6: Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

So the next day is really just a "return to the airport (Dulles)" day. 3 hour drive
from NJ through a ridiculous heavy tropical storm (any park day planned for today would
have been a total wash out, so I think I lucked out there!)

My flight isn't until late afternoon, and I had hatched a little plan that if I had
time I could visit the very conveniently located "Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center"
a couple of miles from the airport - this place being an 'annex' to the Smithsonian's
Air&Space Museum... basically where they put all the big stuff that doesn't fit in
the building in central Washington

Stuff like a Space Shuttle...

(I had photographed the same shuttle sitting on its launch pad in Florida back in 2010,
didn't get quite so close to it that time though)

A Blackbird bomber...

Enola Gay... (!!! thats _the_ Enola Gay !!!)

A Concord(e), just lying around, like you do...

And rather splendid it all was too - highly recommended, especially if you have a couple
of hours to kill waiting for a flight at IAD.

So after spending a couple of hours here, (filling up a couple of camera memory cards)
head back the 5 minutes to the airport, dump car, catch plane, come home, game over.

davidm

Strata Poster
TR:USofA: KD,BGW,KW,Wald,CP,HP,DP,SFGAdv and a Space Shu

The Final Score

Kings Dominion
Anaconda
Avalanche
Back Lot Stunt Coaster
Dominator
Flight of Fear
Grizzly
Hurler
Intimidator 305
Rebel Yell
Shockwave
Volcano, The Blast Coaster

Busch Gardens Willamsburg
Alpengeist
Apollo's Chariot
Griffon
Grover's Alpine Express
Loch Ness Monster
Verbolten

Kennywood
Jack Rabbit
Lil' Phantom
Phantom's Revenge
Racer
Sky Rocket
Thunderbolt

Waldameer
Comet
Ravine Flyer 3
Ravine Flyer II
Steel Dragon

Cedar Point
Blue Streak
Cedar Creek Mine Ride
Corkscrew
GateKeeper
Gemini
Iron Dragon
Magnum XL-200
Mantis
Maverick
Mean Streak
Millennium FOrce
Raptor
Top Thrill Dragster
Wicked Twister
Woodstock Express

Hersheypark
Comet
Fahrenheit
Great Bear
Lightning Racer
Sidewinder
Skyrush
Sooperdooperlooper
Storm Runner
Trailblazer
Wild Mouse
Wildcat

Dorney Park
Hydra the Revenge
Possessed

Steel Force
Stinger
Talon
Thunderhawk
Wild Mouse
Woodstock's Express

Six Flags Great Adventure
Batman the Ride
Bizarro
Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
Dark Knight
El Toro
Kingda Ka
Nitro
Road Runner Railway
Rolling Thunder
Runaway Mine Train
Skull Mountain
Superman - Ultimate Flight

Thats 73 (but only +24 :) )

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: TR:USofA: KD,BGW,KW,Wald,CP,HP,DP,SFGAdv and a Space Shu

Ha, that story about some guy loosing his stuff at CP... I've noticed that American's have this "no one would do that" attitude. We were at the beach for a few days and where I wouldn't take anything valuable TO the beach in the first place, they were happy to leave it on the shore whilst we swam. In Europe, that's asking for it to get taken. In the US, it is kinda rare. It's the same way how stuff never gets stolen from mail boxes... WHY? And people leave their car windows open all the time. Crazy country of optimistic and trusting people. :p

Your opinions of everywhere seem really similar to mine. Except Maverick, you're wrong about Maverick.

Hutch

Strata Poster

As usual, great report! Overall, what was your favorite day?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

david morton said:
^ don't disagree about Dorney, just its a shame its not more popular => more atmosphere!

I don't know if it would create more atmosphere, the place is just really kind of bland. It's just tarmac walkways from ride to ride with a very small "classic" area a little of the main walk. If it was a little more organic and closer together like Thorpe, maybe, but I don't think Thorpe often has much atmosphere either.... Well, not good atmosphere ;)

david morton said:
And surprised you even bothered with Fahrenheit Phil, after all you've been on another Eurofighter! ;-)

I know, I surprised myself! One day people will learn that this enthusiasm lark is much easier if you just say "done one before, don't need to bother". Saves time, money and effort :p

david morton said:
Enola Gay... (!!! thats _the_ Enola Gay !!!)

Bet you're glad you didn't stay at home that day :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I think Dorney feels kinda Thorpey too. But a nice Thorpe, without the crappy attitude. I like Dorney, a lot. It's so casual, has several very enjoyable rides, is never busy and it's in a good location to pair up with other parks.

davidm

Strata Poster

Joey said:
Except Maverick, you're wrong about Maverick.
and candle shops?

--

Best day? Probably the Saturday at CP; 9am to close armed with Fastlane and no camera to slow me down. But there is not really any not-good days when you are on holiday; even though I whined a bit about KW it still was a far better day than not being on holiday!

--

Meanwhile, some processed pics from the Smithsonian...

Curtiss P-40E Warhawk (Kittyhawk IA)

Vought F4U-1D Corsair

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird

The Business End