20. Casablanca
21. Untouchables
22. Raising Arizona
23. O Brother Where art Thou
24. Godfather
25. The Departed

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I don't have a top 25, but will list the films I most enjoy watching on a (semi) regular basis.

Batman Begins - Love the ressurection of this franchise with Bale.
The Dark Knight - One of the best films i've ever seen
The Rock - Who doesn't love poison gas rockets?!
The Crow - I've honestly seen this about 50 times, amazing film
Shawshank - Still enjoyable after 20 years
Con-Air - One of Cage's better films
Star Trek - Not a fan of the series or old films, but this is brilliant
Human Traffic - Takes me back to my teenage years, used to know it word for word
Yes Man - Zooey <3
Superbad - Makes me laugh a lot, + Emma Stone's fit as flip.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Just some random movies that I really like (not in particular order):
Letters to Santa
Back to the Future
The Intouchables
The Dark Knight
21 Jump Street
Leon: The Professional
Up
Wall-E
It's Kind of a Funny Story
The Guard

Mike

Giga Poster
I've always said I'm not a massive 'movie person', and there's a hell of a lot of big films that I've never watched, but when I think of my favourite films, these immediately spring to mind:

The Truman Show
Pleasantville
Donnie Darko
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Forrest Gump
Back to the Future
The Green Mile
X-Men
The Lion King
Aladdin

No particular order, but I think it's a solid top 10 nonetheless.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
A new addition and 1 film that I now remember how much I like. Plus my list changes here and there.

1. The Phantom Menace (shoot me, if you want to know why it is my favorite read the bottom of this post.)
2. Shawshank Redemption
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Schindler's List
5. Fight Club
6. The Empire Strikes Back
7. Raging Bull
8. Iron Man 3
9. Return of The Jedi
10. The Searchers

Why I like The Phantom Menace: The acting of Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, and Jake Lloyd was great. There's that awesome pod race in the middle, Qui Gon and Obi Wan go save Padme, They meet Anakin and make him a Jedi, Darth Maul reveals himself to the jedi in a quick but cool lightsaber duel. Spaeking of Darth Maul, Ray Park knew a lot of martial arts and combined in the lightsaber duels. They have the best lightsaber duel at the end of the movie of any Star Wars movie, and the grand finale when the jedi win The Battle of Naboo, is just really cool. These are just the main highlights of the movie, I thought every second was great.

TilenB

Strata Poster
TilySlo said:
Just some random movies that I really like (not in particular order):
Letters to Santa
Back to the Future
The Intouchables
The Dark Knight
21 Jump Street
Leon: The Professional
Up
Wall-E
It's Kind of a Funny Story
The Guard

Add Rush to the list. It's an amazing movie. :--D

Ben

CF Legend
Jason Voorhees said:
1. The Phantom Menace (shoot me, if you want to know why it is my favorite read the bottom of this post.)

Joaquin-Phoenix-signs.gif

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Jason Voorhees said:
They have the best lightsaber duel at the end of the movie of any Star Wars movie

First up, everyone is allowed an opinion.

Secondly, just because you have an opinion, doesn't make you right unless it can be fully qualified. If somebody rips your opinion apart, that's because you formed an opinion based on lack of experience, knowledge or taste :p

The duel in The Phantom Menace IS one of the best scenes in all the Star Wars films. The choreography and music was incredible. Absolutely superb.

Ruined by three things:
1. The duelling wasn't very tight. There are a few times where one or other of the duellers are open and even a novice swordsman like myself would be able to make a hit. Lots of jumping around and spinning and leaving yourself exposed - but it looks good for the camera.

2. The constant break in and out of the three battles. The ground battle, space battle and Jedi duel compete for attention, but are all very differently paced. You end up with a similar scene cutting and ruining as you see in Return of the Jedi, only with annoying Gungans rather than annoying Ewoks. All tension and pleasure from the duel is lost with the turd mixed in with it.

3. It was attached to The Phantom Menace; which was at best mediocre, at worst dull as dishwater.

Liam Neeson plays a good part, but that's it. The rest of the acting is wooden and sub-par. Ewen McGregor is completely wrecked by constantly having to try and sound like Alec Guinness - he's stiff and slightly less wooden than plank. The rest of the cast are worse than Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher at the end of a drug crazed binge.

George Lucas has stated on several occasions that he hates directing. The reason is because he's **** at it. TPM is the world's biggest case of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". It's badly paced, has a simple plot which is disguised by over complicating it with speeches and trade declarations, etc (for large portions of the film where it's very dry and long winded, but achieves nothing).

Even worse, Star Wars has been used by Hollywood as a template for "how to make a good blockbuster action film" since the 80's. There's a sacred tome to follow which uses Star wars as the perfect example. Lucas completely ignored it, and the film suffers massively because of it.

I don't think TPM is an awful film, it has some great stand out moments and little bits of genius here and there (mostly down to the soundtrack though to be fair). With some decent editing, it could have even been a good film. It's got action, adventure, excitement and stuff. There's good stuff there, but it constantly dragged down by poor acting, over complication and needless, boring script and plots. Still, it's better than Episode III ;)

marc

CF Legend
I actually preferred the battle in Return of the Jedi. It had a lot more passion in it plus the music and darkness was better.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think the two Jedi battles between the two films are very different. RotJ was very tense and emotional. When watching it for the first time, there's a real tautness in it that works so well - you're so concerned for Luke, then Leia is brought into it and the **** hits the fan. The conflict with Darth too - it's a great end to the Jedi story arc in those three films.

The other two action sequences are pretty much the same as in TPM, but obviously you care more about the characters, having lived with them for the other films. So they do top TPM, but there's still too much going on so each is diluted and the pacing is erratic.

The Jedi duel though, is a superbly accomplished action piece, incredibly well scored. If it had just been a single set piece, it would have been incredible. Very different from the final scene in the throne room in RotJ though.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Anyone who says Phantom Menace is their favorite movie is a troll. There is a special place in hell for the Phantom Menace.

The duel with Darth Maul is one of the better lightsaber scenes. The only thing that ruined it for me was the damn trailers. The previews showed Maul had a double bladed lightsaber, completey eliminating that "oh ****" moment in the theatre. Anyways I know its slightly off topic but trying to kill 5 minutes instead of doing budgets for the theme park I work for:

Lightsaber duel list:
Luke v Vader ESB (first hand cut off, I am your father, Han was in carbonite, you really had no idea if Luke was going to make it)
Qui Gon & Obi-Won v Darth Maul TPM
Luke v Vader RotJ
Anakin v Obi-Won RotS
Obi-Won v Vader ANH (2 old guys in a revenge duel)
Obi-Won v Grievous (RotS???) I still think the kill shot should have been on accident, lending more credence to the "blasters are random" feelings from Old Ben.
Anything else with Anakin or Yoda, CGI Yoda = suck.

And can I just add, how retarded was Vader and Palpetine? You are hunting the surviving jedi, and one of the most influential members mearly changes his name to "Old Ben", and moves to the planet YOU GREW UP ON, along wiht your son, who IS LIVING WITH YOUR STEP BROTHER, and you cant find them?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
rtotheizzo17 said:
Lightsaber duel list:
Luke v Vader ESB (first hand cut off, I am your father, Han was in carbonite, you really had no idea if Luke was going to make it)

I don't disagree (like I don't with Marc about the Battle of Endor thing) as such, as it's very emotive. However, technically, it's awful.

Look at Anakin fighting Obi Wan at the end of RotS, then look at Darth fighting in the original trilogy - where did the speed, finesse and style go? Luke has been using a lightsaber for three minutes and can already hold off Vader for 10 minutes? Nah - it doesn't work. Vader is roughly my age, and I fight better than him with a sword, even without robotic parts!

So they're very emotive in the original trilogy, but awful. Then again, the extended bollocks in RotS was awful for going on forever and being ridiculous. TPM duel got it just right IMO

rtotheizzo17 said:
And can I just add, how retarded was Vader and Palpetine? You are hunting the surviving jedi, and one of the most influential members mearly changes his name to "Old Ben", and moves to the planet YOU GREW UP ON, along wiht your son, who IS LIVING WITH YOUR STEP BROTHER, and you cant find them?

The simplest and most logical explanation for me here is that they simply didn't have to hunt for Luke.

You know how it goes, you've just held the most enormous coup ever, the entire galaxy if in the midst of war and you're at the head of the task force to clean it up and bring everything under control. It's so bad that 16 years later, you've only just put together a giant killer ball that can destroy planets and bring them to heel.

You've got better things to do with your time than to go hunting for a pathetic whelp who may or may not be filled with the force.

It doesn't matter anyway, because Palpetine has already seen in a vision that Luke will come to Vader. He just needs to focus on the killing and murdering at hand and he can be daddy when the time is right.

Simple, see? :)

I did read something, vaguely, somewhere (so I don't know how canon it is) that Vader never returned to Tatooine, because it made him all emotional and stuff to think about going back there. So he deliberately avoided it.

That's crapper than my reasoning though :lol:

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
^Two things for why Vader is so bad in the ESB duel; One he is a frakenstein that has lost most of his organic being, and is not as fluid. Two he is not trying to kill Luke, he is toying with him to try and capture him. Luke never really holds him off, he pulls a few trick plays to scamper away, but in the end he is totally dominated for ten minutes.

As far as the vision thing, I am fairly certain the vision you are referring to was Luke turning himself in during RotJ and setting up the final battle. My 12 year old self would be pissed I am blanking right now, but there was some reason why Luke and Leia were unknown/not hunted even while being hidden in plain sight.

If you haven't already I reccomend watching The People vs George Lucas. It covers a lot of what we are discussing, and the merits of Lucas "bastardizing" his own franchise.

Anywho enough nerdism for me today :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
rtotheizzo17 said:
^Two things for why Vader is so bad in the ESB duel; One he is a frakenstein that has lost most of his organic being, and is not as fluid.

It doesn't hold water. We see in the new trilogy that Republic droid technology is capable of producing superb robotics. Grievious himself is semi-organic and can duel. There's no reason for Darth to be encumbered by his metallic parts - in fact, he should really be enhanced. Losing an arm at the end of episode 2 certainly didn't put a dent in his abilities.

rtotheizzo17 said:
Two he is not trying to kill Luke, he is toying with him to try and capture him. Luke never really holds him off, he pulls a few trick plays to scamper away, but in the end he is totally dominated for ten minutes.

Very true - agreed. Even so, I could have fought better than Luke did, without training from Yoda and without any help from the force. It doesn't matter though. We know that in reality, the fighting isn't as good simply because they didn't see the requirement (or it was never a consideration/too expensive) to hire a professional martial artist to train the actors to fight.

It really works though in a very theatrical sense. The fights aren't so much about the actual abilities of the combatants to duel with their weapons - it's about the way the players interact. It's about the way they thrust and parry with words, the way the story is told through the combat. That's what makes them so emotive and such powerful story telling.

The duel in ESB is especially fantastic. It's actually an allegory for the rest of the film. The entire film is all about defeat and betrayal and the final duel between Vader and Luke summarises it perfectly. The film is all about defeat after defeat. Every small victory is offset by a massive loss.

Every time Luke manages to push away Vader, it's one of the small victories (taking down an AT-At, or hiding in the asteroid), but then Vader pushes back and hurts Luke; batters him down (Echo base is lost, Han and Leia can't escape and put themselves in more danger in Bespin, Yoda fails to train Luke and Luke fails his training). Finally we reach Vader's reveal, and Ben's betrayal (Lando) and the loss of Luke's hand is allegorical to the loss of his right hand and saviour (from the Battle of Yavin) - Han Solo - now captured and taken by Boba Fett. Luke refuses to give in the to Dark Side and abandons hope and gives in to fate, as Lando gives up Bespin to the Empire and the summary and real-time story now merge and become one.

That's why the duel at the end of ESB is some fantastic and why it doesn't matter that the sword play is poor; it doesn't have to be, it's telling much more than the simple fight between a good guy and a bad guy. It's genius.

rtotheizzo17 said:
As far as the vision thing, I am fairly certain the vision you are referring to was Luke turning himself in during RotJ and setting up the final battle. My 12 year old self would be pissed I am blanking right now, but there was some reason why Luke and Leia were unknown/not hunted even while being hidden in plain sight.

There's some debate on the vision. The Emperor appears to Vader to be surprised about the reveal of the offspring of Anakin still being alive (ESB, first time we see the Emperor). However, by ROTJ, the Emperor seems to know a lot about Luke (though not his sister). The question that raises is one of if the Emperor was always aware of what would come to pass (to a degree), and played Vader along. Darth Sidious had no problem with sacrificing Count Dooku (his apprentice) to help push Anakin to the dark side. He knew that Vader would need replacing at some time, and to get Luke to murder his own father would open the dark side and push Luke to it. So knowing that Luke was alive, he kept the knowledge hidden until the time was right where he'd seen in a vision, Luke battling Darth (conjecture on my part as to what he saw in his vision). That's a very satisfying background story motivation for me :)

In actuality (and what you're looking for), at the end of RotS, Anakin thinks Padme was killed and the children with her. He simply doesn't know they survived. We know there were two Skywalkers on Tatooine (Anakin and his mother) - perhaps slaves took their owners name, or it's a name given to slaves who arrive on from off-world. In that case, Skywalker on Tatooine could be as common a surname as Smith is to the UK. So having a Skywalker there really is very safe.

Mix that with the Emperor perhaps ensuring Vader never considered his children may have lived, and you have quite a watertight plot :)

rtotheizzo17 said:
If you haven't already I reccomend watching The People vs George Lucas. It covers a lot of what we are discussing, and the merits of Lucas "bastardizing" his own franchise.

Is that on YouTube? I'll have to look :)

rtotheizzo17 said:
Anywho enough nerdism for me today :)

NEVER! :lol:

marc

CF Legend
I just prefer the Return one as it's a real set without cgi everywhere, it's just more real. I just found the whole thing more intense.

About this trying to kill thing, obi is not trying to kill anyone either, he's trying to get him to turn back just as Luke is when he is fighting.

About the baby thing, not even Yoda new at the time, maybe they cannot be detected until born?

Edward M

Strata Poster
After my Horror & Coen Brothers Month (October), I was finally able to get around to fixing up my favorite movies list, including some major changes. Not all of these are new movies or additions to the list, but any Coen Brothers or Horror movie will be bolded.

1. Raising Arizona
2. Citizen Kane
3. Pulp Fiction
4. To Kill a Mockingbird
5. The Big Lebowski
6. Usual Suspects
7. Reservoir Dogs
8. Fight Club
9. Spirited Away
10. Being John Malkovich
11. Fargo
12. Adaptation
13. Raging Bull
14. Taxi Driver
15. Barton Fink
16. Dark Knight
17. O Brother Where art Thou
18. No Country for Old Men
19. Whatever happened to Baby Jane? (I count it as a horror movie)
20. Goodfellas
21. Inglourious Basterds
22. Die Hard
23. Inception
24. The Professional
25. Se7en

After this month, my favorite directors are, without a doubt, The Coen Brothers as they do make up a majority of my list.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I need to watch Raising Arizona again. I was really young when I saw it and didn't understand. Since then, I've "got" Coen, so I need to rewatch it.

I adore O Brother Where Art Thou though. It's by far my favourite of theirs, but Fargo is second for me - I loved that film :)

You're missing out not having Miller's Crossing on your list, great film. I also loved their version of The Lady Killers, but the original is absolutely brilliant and while the Coen version is great, it just doesn't quite capture the charm and excellence of the first.

Burn After Reading was a bit middling though :(

I like True Grit too, but again, after watching the original it kind of diluted how good the Coen version was (but it's still stunning).

Apart from Inception and a couple of clichés, I really like your top 25 though and it's a good list for people wanting to watch "really good films" to get going on. If my kids hadn't seen half that list by the time they were 15, I'd be a bad parent :)

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Here are my favorite star wars duels from favorite to least favorite (in the movies, not cartoons, books, etc.)

Revenge of The Sith - Darth Vader VS. Obi Wan Kenobi
Return of The Jedi - Luke Skywalker VS. Darth Vader VS. Darth Sidious
The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul VS. Qui Gon Jinn & Obi Wan Kenobi
Revenge of The Sith - Darth Sidious VS. Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Saesee Tiin, and Agen Kolar
Revenge of The Sith - Darth Sidious VS. Yoda
A New Hope - Darth Vader VS. Obi Wan Kenobi
Attack of The Clones - Darth Tyranus VS. Anakin Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi, & Yoda
Revenge of The Sith - Darth Tyranus VS. Anakin Skywalker & Obi Wan Kenobi
The Empire Strikes Back - Darth Vader VS. Luke Skywalker
The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul VS. Qui Gon Jinn
Revenge of The Sith - General Grievous VS. Obi Wan Kenobi

My post has been edited to include Darth Sidious VS. Yoda.