What's new

Top 25 Favorite Movies

Edward M

Strata Poster
I am a Movie buff so I have an extensive list of my favorites. I will keep it to 25 though, but feel free to shorten it. This change every day so I might edit it. What is your top 25 favorite movies?

My list is weird
1. Usual Suspects
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Talented Mr. Ripley
4. Inglorious Basterds
5. Inception
6. American History X
7. Fight Club
8. Dark Knight
9. Donnie Darko
10. The Others
11. Silence of the Lambs
12. Memento
13. Moonrise Kingdom
14. Royal Tenanbaums
15. Raising Arizona
16. Schindler's List
17. Django Unchained
18. Alien
19. Aliens
20. 12 Monkeys
21. Batman Returns
22. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
23. Pianist
24. Prestige
25. Sixth Sense

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Some of my favorite movies in not particular order:

Princess Bride
Blazing Saddles
Robinhood Men in Tights
Spaceballs
History of the world part 1
The Incredibles
Wreck-it Ralph
Shawshank Redemption
Lilo and Stitch
The Lion King

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that immediately come to mind

Some of those i'm not aloud to watch with other people anymore as i can quote the entire movie...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I couldn't even identify my favourite movie, let alone anything like a top 25 and then rank them.

Ben

CF Legend
Your list isn't weird, sorry. It's full of movies one would expect to see in a top twenty five list.

I have noooo idea what mine would be. A rough stab at my twenty five all time faves (in no real order)

Rocky Horror Picture Show
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
Moulin Rouge
Chicago
Dark Knight
Lion King
Terminator 2
Mulholland Drive
Aliens
South Park
Les Miserables
Lord of the Rings
Fight Club
Harry Potter
Mean Girls
Beetlejuce
The Matrix
Inglorious Basterds
Jurassic Park
The Departed
V For Vendetta
The Prestige
Silence of the Lambs

Mine's so mainstream, haha.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Again, there's no way I can rank these, but top 25 films generally would be,

The Godfather
Scarface
Wayne's World
Terminator 2
Lord of the Rings
Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End
Drop Dead Fred
The Blindside
Demolition Man
Anuvahood
Unstoppable
Taken
Speed
Shaft
Shaft (Remake)
Man On Fire
Baseketball
The Condemned
Escape From Alcatraz
Gran Torino
Friday
SAW
Kidulthood
Gridiron Gang
Resevoir Dogs

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Just general top 25:

The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Saw
Ironman
The Avengers
Skyfall
Batman (1989)
Terminator 2
The Simpsons Movie
Spongebob Square Pants Movie
Transformers
Batman Begins
Pirates Of The Caribbean 1
Star Wars - Episode 5
Star Wars -Episode 3
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Saw II
Freddy Vs Jason
On The Buses - The First Movie
Ted
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
Sherlock Holmes - A Game Of Shadows
Due Date
The Hangover

Smithy

Strata Poster
Not a clue how I'd be able to tell apart my 23rd and 25th favourite movies. Plus, I'd no doubt forget some if I attempted to list them.

Jingle all the way, Zoolander, Borat and Dodgeball are probably the four that come straight to mind.

Ben

CF Legend
Nemesis of oblivion said:
Just general top 25:

The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Saw
Ironman
The Avengers
Skyfall
Batman (1989)
Terminator 2
The Simpsons Movie
Transformers
Batman Begins
Star Wars - Episode 5
Star Wars -Episode 3
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Saw II
Freddy Vs Jason
Ted
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
Due Date
The Hangover

No.

Just, no.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Your list isn't weird, sorry. It's full of movies one would expect to see in a top twenty five list.

I have noooo idea what mine would be. A rough stab at my twenty five all time faves (in no real order)

Rocky Horror Picture Show
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
Moulin Rouge
Chicago
Dark Knight
Lion King
Terminator 2
Mulholland Drive
Aliens
South Park
Les Miserables
Lord of the Rings
Fight Club
Harry Potter
Mean Girls
Beetlejuce
The Matrix
Inglorious Basterds
Jurassic Park
The Departed
V For Vendetta
The Prestige
Silence of the Lambs

Mine's so mainstream, haha.

Great List! It was just 1 and 3 are weird. I don't know many that love Usual Suspects and Talented Mr Ripley that much. I love Tarantino like many. Also, #16 is Waiting for Guffman, I forgot it.

One more thing, Ben, What is Mountian Flyer? It is such a unique favorite coaster.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Nemesis of oblivion said:
Just general top 25:

The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Saw
Ironman
The Avengers
Skyfall
Batman (1989)
Terminator 2
The Simpsons Movie
Transformers
Batman Begins
Star Wars - Episode 5
Star Wars -Episode 3
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Saw II
Freddy Vs Jason
Ted
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
Due Date
The Hangover

No.

Just, no.
Number 1 fan for Transformers :wink: lol

kimahri

CF Legend
How the **** am i supposed to get 25 movies? I can take a handful of that at best...

The Goonies, Flight of the Navigator, How To Train Your Dragon, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Nausicaa, Disney's Jungle book and Robin hood, Evil Dead 2... uh, Kill Bill... Alien, Paprika?

I give up.

nadroJ

CF Legend
25.....jeezuss...this will probably we a random list of random films, in no particular order, but here we go:

1.Rosemary's Baby
2.The Shining
3.Fish Tank
4.Thirteen
5.The Blair Witch Project
6.Beauty and the Beast
7.Titanic
8.Vacation
9.Mean Girls
10.Carrie
11.Ginger Snaps
12.Cry Baby
13.Donnie Darko
14.The Fly
15.Switchblade Romance
16.Killer Joe
17.Showgirls
18.Requiem for a Dream
19.The NeverEnding Story
20.Blue Valentine
21.Drive
22.Priscilla Queen of the Desert
23.Alien
24.Trainspotting
25.Dead Mans Shoes

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ginger Snaps? GINGER **** SNAPS??? FFS Jordan :lol: :p

Still, it could be something like Star Wars Episode 3 in your top 25 ;)

How to handle this then? A list of films I will either watch over and over or just love... Though I'll miss a hundred and they wont be in order. It's also different to what I class as "the best films". As I can recognise a superb film, but not necessarily class it as a favourite. It's that best verses favourite thing again :)

1. Alien
2. Blade Runner
3. Aliens
4. Empire Strikes Back
5. Star Wars (it's okay, the Sci-Fi will cool it eventually)
6. Silent Running
7. 2001 A Space Odyssey
8. The Shining
9. The Haunting
10. Jurassic Park
11. Wall E
12. Manhunter
13. The Wall
14. In the Mouth of Madness
15. Shawshank Redemption (sorry people)
16. Psycho
17. Leon
18. American History X
19. Casablanca
20. The Sting
21. The Thing
22. Ed Wood
23. Bad Taste
24. Bonnie and Clyde
25. A Ghibli at random to round it off - My Neighbour Totoro.

nealbie

CF Legend
Spent so long trying to write what my definitive list would currently be, hoping not to miss anything out, that I thought I might as well go through them in a bit of detail.

1) Terminator 2: Judgement Day - This is the film above all others that I rank 1st every single time! What Neal? Above The Lion King?! Surely not? I hear you ask. Well yes, Arnie's only entry into my list sits right at the top with a sci-fi fantasy action wonderpiece that even today stands up visually (unlike its also half-decent prequel).

2) The Lion King - The best children's film of all time and a faultless, timeless classic. End of discussion.

3) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Most despise this instalment of the highly acclaimed LotR trilogy, but to me, the scene setting and the plotline is the most impressive. Sure there's no big battles, but as far as a film goes, it's number 1. Much more playful than its sequels with a lighter tone. Obviously the others are fantastic...

4) The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - As we can see here! The conclusion of Peter Jackson's trilogy is also fantastic. Just, not as good as Fellowship.

5) The Shawshank Redemption - Anyone who makes a "top film list" without this featuring near the summit is, quite frankly, an idiot. I don't quite understand why it's so bloody brilliant myself, but it sure as hell is!

6) How to Train Your Dragon - Dreamworks really pulled out all of the stops for this one, filming in 3D (and making Avatar look flat), going for a grand score to rumble along in the background, as well as FINALLY capturing that "Disney-like" heart-warming feeling that all of their films (bar El Dorado) had been so massively lacking. Plus: DRAGONS!

7) Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - How on earth did they create such an amazing film out of a theme park filler-ride? Well they did. And wow, what a film?! The sequels are decent enough too, but this is the only stand-out one.

8) Schindler's List - "One of my favourites" is a bit off the mark when describing this film, because I don't really "enjoy" this film. But it is a great insight into a tiny portion of the terrible events of mid-20th century Europe.

9) Jaws - Another one of those staple top film list entries. There's nothing really special, as such, about this film. It's just really, really good.

10) V for Vendetta - The only "comic book" film worth mentioning for a list of my favourite films. Hits the mark that the Nolan Batman trilogy (whilst good) just missed by being a tad too serious and detached as a result.

11) Die Hard - Best Christmas film of all time. Rickman at his absolute finest.

12) The Neverending Story - As well as being fantastic fantasy, a personal childhood favourite that I still find holds up against other fantastic films even today.

13) Les Miserables - I was skeptical of this being a great film, but boy how wrong was I? <3

14) Gladiator - I like history. I like ancient history. I like Gladiator. A lot.

15) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Still a fantastic film, just "the awkward middle child" that (apart from the Battle of Helm's Deep) doesn't really do much at all. So whilst by no means terrible, as a film it doesn't stack up against the other two (all 3 of which make the top 15).

16) Inglorious Basterds - History again..... Only this time all **** up. It's so good it hurts. Waltz especially! Some well received David Bowie appropriately turning up towards the end too!

17) Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street - For an actor I rate as highly as Mr Depp, to only have two of his films in the top 25, to me, seemed odd. But there you go. Great musical (was my favourite before Les Mis turned up)!

18) Sherlock Holmes - Downey Jr. owns a role that has otherwise been impossible to fill well. The tv series sucks balls, the older films are dull. This creates the PERFECT Holmes, with the combination of wit and decorum.

19) The Green Mile - Great (albeit lengthy) entertainment. Can't fault anything in this film, great human interest story from the pages of Mr King. (Fun Fact: I purchased my copy of this from none other than Ian from CoasterForce!)

20) Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Such silly silly fun. Need a historically inaccurate giggle? Watch this.

21) Cars - By far Pixar's best! Glad it got made, but I understand why it's massively panned. SUCH a niche film. If you get it, it's AMAZING. If you don't, it's turd. Everyone should accept that.

22) Jurassic Park - Yay Dinosaurs! Good bit of mindless entertainment that I keep going back to.

23) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Not as good as the LotR trilogy, and it's naturally suffered because of it. But it's still a BRILLIANT film. It's just unfortunate that it followed, pretty much, perfection.

24) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - The Philosopher's Stone fell down because the child acting in it was terrible, Chamber of Secrets turns up with added Kenneth Branagh to the amazing adult ensemble and the same bunch of children who've (as if by magic) discovered how to act. After this, the series goes far too Hollywood and it loses that special "Potter-magic" feeling. Shame.

25) Beauty and the Beast - The best Disney film of all time by a country mile... for three years. With the exception of The Lion King, this gem of a film is not only visually stunning and filled with superb songs, it also has the distinction of being one of (if not the only) princess film that is popular with boys too!

That was fun! :p

nadroJ

CF Legend
furie said:
Ginger Snaps? GINGER **** SNAPS??? FFS Jordan :lol: :p

Still, it could be something like Star Wars Episode 3 in your top 25 ;)

It said favourite, not best, and I <3 Ginger Snaps, it's hilarious and amazing ^.^

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I agree it's excellent fun, I just couldn't ever imagine it hitting a top list :lol: It's a bit like the cauliflower in a selection of things pickled. It's fun and funky, but people won't take in preference to onions, cabbage, gherkin, beetroot or eggs. Ginger Snaps = pickled cauliflower, yep, definitely!

In no order (well the first five or six might be)

1. LABYRINTH <3
2. Wizard of Oz
3. The Green Mile
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Schindler's List
6. Requiem for a Dream
7. Dead Man Walking (maybe I have a thing for prison movies haha)
8. My Sister's Keeper
9. When Harry Met Sally
10. Home Alone
11. Home Alone: Lost in New York
12. Never Ending Story
13. The Illusionist
14. Blair Witch Project
15. Paranormal Activity (don't judge, it scared me so much)
16. Monsters Inc
17. Confessions of a Shopaholic (ALSO don't judge it's a guilty pleasure)
18. Flight
19. Saw
20. American Beauty
21. Rent
22. Fargo
23. The Shining
24. Elephant Man (so heartbreaking </3)
25. Les Miserables

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Favorites right?

1, Wings Of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin)
2, The Godfather: Collection (Chronological box set)
3, Raging Bull
4, City of God (Cidade de Deus)
5, Ikiru (To Live)
6, The Twilight Samurai (Tasogare Seibei)
7, Oh Brother Where Art Thou
8, Taxi Driver
9, Blade Runner
10, Oldboy (Oldeuboi)
11, Requiem for a Dream
12, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
13, Midnight Cowboy
14, Pulp Fiction
15, Apocalypse Now
16, Lawrence Of Arabia
17, Brazil
18, The Night of the Hunter
19, Twelve Monkeys
20, Down By Law
21, The Pope Of Greenwich Village
22, House Of Games
23, Reservior Dogs
24, Being There
25, Nid De Guepes (The Nest)
--
26, Run Lola Run (Lola rennt)
27, Nine Queens (Nueve reinas)
28, Monty Python and the Holy Grail
29, Manhattan
30, Snatch
31, Goodfellas
32, Akira
33, Young Frankenstein
34, La Femme Nikita
35, The Wild One
36, The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover
37, The Big Lebowski
38, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Wo hu cang long)
39, My Name is Nobody (Il Mio nome è Nessuno)
40, Ichi the Killer (Koroshiya 1)
41, Ghost In The Shell (Kôkaku kidôtai)
42, Being John Malkovich
43, Cape Fear (1962)
44, Sexy Beast
45, Princess Mononoke
46, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
47, Blue Velvet
48, Angel Heart
49, The Long Riders
50, Army Of Darkness/Evil Dead - tie

That was tough. Had to leave out so many good ones. I could have easily done a Top 100.