What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Why are they counting down to the start of the year as well? I think 2012 is going to play into the theme more than we realise.

2012 = End of the Mayan Calender stuff... Hence the mushroom cloud...

And 12 loops? Meh... I would just be rather unastounded if it was that... Defo hoping for something for imaginative than an extended B&M form of Colossus...

So basically theme-wise they're going to make Chertsey even more desolate... I honestly didn't think it were possible, but there we go...

Ben

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
Ben said:
Why are they counting down to the start of the year as well? I think 2012 is going to play into the theme more than we realise.

2012 = End of the Mayan Calender stuff... Hence the mushroom cloud...

****, really? I didn't realise! That's not what I was posting about at ALL.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Bit grouchy recently Ben?

Just outlining your point in case others didn't have a clue... Even if the media keep telling us we may as well not bother buying Christmas presents and the like...

Ollie

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Just went on Thorpe's website and saw this.
Why are they advertising the ride already?
thorpe2012.jpg

Edit: Oh it's gone back to Storm Surge now. How odd. :?

It's a bit far in advance though to show it. We've still got 10 months of this year left. Anyway I can't get it to appear back on the site now so they might have taken it down.

neo

Mega Poster
What about Latest Coaster or Latest Concept 12?

B&Ms current product range:

1) Sit Down
2) Stand-Up
3) Floorless
4) Inverted
5) Dive Machine – 6 Seat Across
6) Dive Machine – 8 Seat Across
7) Dive Machine – 10 Seat Across
8) Flying
9) Hyper – 4 Seat Across
10) Hyper – V Seat Design
11) Wing Walker
12) New Concept for Thorpe Park?

Interesting coincidence? Have I missed something?

AJ

Giga Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQPY2EHG4Rw[/youtube]

ANYWAY....

That's odd, the photo of the website..... Not exactly like the days are nearing any form of milestone. Haha <3

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
The anticipation from this initial announcement for me is far greater than there's been for years in the UK.

I'm putting it down to the fact that we know it's a B&M - at least we know for certain that it's gunna be a nice chunky and 'proper' ride. There's none of the Intamin doubts that it might end up as a kiddie coaster, or Gerstlauer doubts that it'll be another average Eurofighter (Although Saw did turn out quite nice).

'Unique' - B&M's first woodie? :wink: Obviously not but we can dream. More realistically I'm hoping for the UK's first Pretzel loop, which would look friggin sexy with those wingriders flying through.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I think you misinterpreted my post. I was comparing this announcement to ones in the past. When Dylan was announced to be Gerstlauer I couldn't get as excited as I could for this announcement, as previous experience with Eurofighters left no strong guarantee of a good new ride. Because we know this new ride to be B&M we can feel more confident we'll be getting something of high quality.

As for the pretzel loop/norwegian loop if referring to Speed Monster's similar element, that general shape of inversion is something that looks awesome and hasn't yet been seen in this country.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Yeah I read that as him saying he's glad it won't be another Euro-Fighter for the country, and that a pretzel loop will be aesthetically pleasing.

I reckon it'll be a lame B&M tbh. Just nice to see a new one built though.

neo

Mega Poster
UC said:
After all, if you want to make such trivial distinctions, you also need to distinguish between floored and floorless dive machines, which render the "12" useless.

That'll be what I missed.

Still, LC12 is either going to mean something technical like SW6, or just another gimmick (like how Dylan was a cat).

EDIT: The plans have been released!

http://ww2.runnymede.gov.uk/home/latest ... an_lst.htm

A wing rider it is!

It includes a post-apocalyptic theme with full-scale aeroplane/helicopter wreckage.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Well certainly the layout is interesting...

The stand-out feature is of course, the first drop/inversion thing... That is certainly eye-catching and hopefully will provide a great thing with B&Ms restraints...

4 inversions in total, but one thing I don't like is that very very long straight after the corkscrew/final inline... Very Shockwavey and hopefully it's the scale but otherwise it would be a rather dull finish unless it has a bit of speed...

Why the station is a ruined chapel though... Hmmm...

Has it excited me? Slightly, I like that they are adding lots of large scale theming around it for certain... Though another dead end island for a year may not be entertaining... Hopefully as well the queue has adequate shade...

EDIT - Just noticed that the ride shop is ANOTHER trailer thing... The other buildings are clever, why not keep it going Thorpe?

marc

CF Legend
This is probably going to me the wingwalker with seats that move, that was the orginal rumour anyway.

Either way its a good addition to the park :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That first drop is REALLY interesting. A half twist then the big swooping curving drop down. With the twist though, I would say it's almost certainly not going to have rotating cars. There's no need to invert the riders there if the cars can spin.

Ben

CF Legend
UC said:
The first wing-walker hasn't even been opened yet, and you guys think Thorpe just bought one?

You're all ridiculous, seriously. Can we at least keep the topic on the ground for three pages before you guys go all starry-eyed fanboy?

Let's not incite arguments while things are nice and calm eh? Feel free to crow in private if it makes you feel better - furie

And, surprisingly, this looks ****ing... AWESOME! It's MAYBE a bit on the short side, but, it looks like it'll REALLY pack a punch. The first drop thing looks crazy different, the Zero-G is HUGE, the sort of inclined loop after that looks amazing, the next Zero-G thing and the inline all look fab! The inline twist is inside by the looks of it toooo. Themeing looks good, omg.

I'm actually stupidly excited for something at bloody Thorpe. It looks... yeah... fantastic!

Also, I REALLY doubt the seats will spin, just cause there's no spin-appropiate section if the ride. I think if they were gonna spin, there'd be a part where the track was "inverted" like on Air when you're on your back (not a change for most people here, ding!)

ALSO, I have a sneaky-suspicion that straight track you're referring to Benin will be a short brake run before the main one, just cause that corner looks like a slow one and it'd make sense.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Well, I'm sure B&M's Designers have taken that into account Uc..

Anyway, looks great, hopefully it actually pays off and they DO get permission!

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
This is great news! Just looked extensively at the plans, and I must say I am very pleased that this new coaster won't affect the water quality of the surrounding lakes. It was my up most concern, and now that measures have been put in place to ensure the water quality is tested, maintained at close to safe standards and will remain as it is has brought great joy to my day.

The coaster itself looks mighty good. I shall be a lurker in this topic and oversee the discussions, but until I see water quality test results, I'm just not going to make a huge judgement on the ride itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.