Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie

CF Legend
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

furie said:
That would have meant looking at every picture all the way through to see :p
Not if it's on the first one. :p
And I like it. Who cares if it's not completely dirty? When a car crashes it doesn't end up 100% muddy and broken so I don't see the issue with the tail of the plane not being filthy or broken.

Like Benin said. People should just be grateful that we're getting a plane. People were moaning that it'd e nothing like the plans. Then when the track was build and the first bit of the plane went in it was comments on how amazing it is and now people have got bored of complementing it they've gone back to being picky. :p

This is clearly the best coaster the UK has had in years and the theming on it is amazing. I'm just grateful we've got any themeing at all as they could have just left it as a muddy island.

AJ

Giga Poster

^Gross.

I mentioned it to Jordan the other day. I'm pretty sure I'm the ONLY one that feels like this:

I get that they've gone to a lot of effort to create that little bit of tin shed they attached the wing to. I'm not denying the wing looks AMAZING, it does.

But people need to stop praising Merlin on their 'theming'. All they've done is literally chopped up a plane and dumped it on top of a coaster. I get that it's achieving an impressive image for the ride and following plans, i think the wing looks fab. But they're not really DOING much, are they?

The back half of the plane [in my opinion] now looks DUMPED and BORING, I'd rather have it half submerged in water, it's just sitting there, clean cut as if it just minced out of the sky onto a cloud of love and joy.

Until they actually theme the plane themselves [Batter up the back half a bit, it's just crashed into the ground for hells sake, it's definitely not going to be perfectly placed] I shan't praise them. I'm sick to death of seeing images of this plane they cut and stuck together. I'd much rather see photos of the church or different views of the coaster or something. Eurgh.

All I'm saying is I'd be more impressed if they made more of an EFFORT with the theming, instead of just dumping **** here and there and expecting it to be ok. I get they're following plans well, Kudos, but like. It's all a bit bland.

Well done for shagging a dumped wing though, Merlin put a lot of effort into paying someone to crane it into place.

PS-
Those of you saying 'OMIGOD HAVEN'T BEEN THIS EXCITED IN YEARS SINCE INFERNO FOR A COASTER AAHH. IT'S THE BEST PROJECT IN THE UK SINCE FOREVER' **** off you were all flicking your beans over SAW. <_<.

Mark

Strata Poster
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

I wasn't flicking my bean for Saw... Nor Stealth for that matter :p

Inverse

Hyper Poster

I would agree with AJ if the wing were all that's going to be there. But we're expecting a Helicopter in the lake, a large and fully themed station, the photo booth in an upturned lorry, a damaged fire engine and other themed facilities like toilets and food outlets. Shame the shop will be a cargo crate again. So no, the plane alone isn't a lot, but it all adds up to the larger picture.

Ben

CF Legend

The one thing that bothers me about it being themed to urban devastation is that they've actually already done that... It feels like someone looked at Tidal Wave and went 'eh let's pretty much do that again shall we?' It looks great, but, it's not exactly breaking new ground for Thorpe...

CoasterUpdates

Roller Poster

PLANE!

swarm022.png

Lot's more here: http://coasterupdates.com/2011/12/the-s ... ng-update/

AJ

Giga Poster

Inverse said:
I would agree with AJ if the wing were all that's going to be there. But we're expecting a Helicopter in the lake, a large and fully themed station, the photo booth in an upturned lorry, a damaged fire engine and other themed facilities like toilets and food outlets. Shame the shop will be a cargo crate again. So no, the plane alone isn't a lot, but it all adds up to the larger picture.

Dumping vehicles around the area? Once again, they aren't putting effort into the project, just dumping things.

I'm not denying the fact it won't look good, I never said that, it just bugs me when people are screaming and shouting that Merlin are theming this ride, they aren't, they're paying someone to cut and crane vehicles they bought on the cheap into the area. No effort put in by the company, it borders on lazy.

The station is all that's interesting in my opinion, it's being built from scratch and I genuinely wish there was more on the construction of it! Alas, everyone's still rubbing over this plane crap that hasn't even been executed properly [yet].

Martyn B

CF Legend

I'm sure they'll dirty the plane up at a later date, there's a long way to go yet!

Though I agree that the wing looks a bit odd with that random piece of metal at the end...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Martyn B said:
I'm sure they'll dirty the plane up at a later date, there's a long way to go yet!

Though I agree that the wing looks a bit odd with that random piece of metal at the end...
Which random piece of metal? :? The fuselage or the wing-tip?

I think I'm somewhere between AJ and a Thorpe fanboi right now. I think Swarm is shaping up to be really good, I just hope they don't think they've done the job when they've craned in the broken plane and fire trucks. The church/station is going to take a LOT of work to look anything like good enough for this. That's what I want to see more of, the progress of the church, I know what a wing and a jet-turbine look like...

They need to make sure the church looks just as good.

Mark9

Roller Poster

AJ said:
The station is all that's interesting in my opinion, it's being built from scratch and I genuinely wish there was more on the construction of it! Alas, everyone's still rubbing over this plane crap that hasn't even been executed properly [yet].

As you say, it's not finished yet. I highly doubt they'd go through all the trouble of buying a plane, cutting it up and then leaving it all clean and pretty, especially after the effort that has gone into the project so far.

The fact we have a large piece of quite physical, dominating theming is a far cry from the days when a large shed was considered the epitome of theming at Thorpe Park.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster

Gazza said:
I do really like the idea of urban devastation, so there is a certain absurdity about seeing normal day to day things in a satisfyingly messed up state.

Yeah, to be honest I'd rather they did make it 'urban devestation' instead of 'bombing a Gatwick Airport'.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Pipes.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
There are pipes in the picture near the engine, but it's not clear if they are connected because they have buried it with dirt. I hope they are for special effects though!

Oh and seriously stop with the whole pedestrian crossing thing. The person was just making a suggestion. IMO it would look tacky and gross, but it's just an idea and it's annoying when people ridicule you for simply making a realistic suggestion.

Ok... mini rant over -_-

AJ

Giga Poster

Mark9 said:
AJ said:

As you say, it's not finished yet. I highly doubt they'd go through all the trouble of buying a plane, cutting it up and then leaving it all clean and pretty, especially after the effort that has gone into the project so far.

The fact we have a large piece of quite physical, dominating theming is a far cry from the days when a large shed was considered the epitome of theming at Thorpe Park.

Well they've glued it to a tin shed..... Anyway, my rant isn't about how it looks, it's about the fact they've put no effort into theming it so far. They've dumped a plane on top of the coaster and they'yre gonna be dropping random vehicles everywhere. Everyone needs to stop bumming it as amazing effort and theming from merlin. They haven't themed it [yet].

Ethan said:
Pipes.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
There are pipes in the picture near the engine, but it's not clear if they are connected because they have buried it with dirt. I hope they are for special effects though!

Oh and seriously stop with the whole pedestrian crossing thing. The person was just making a suggestion. IMO it would look tacky and gross, but it's just an idea and it's annoying when people ridicule you for simply making a realistic suggestion.

Ok... mini rant over -_-

A] I see no pipes, i see a few planks of wood to the left and a scaffold ladder on its side to the right.
B] We'd already stopped with the pedestrian crossing thing, so why bring it back up?
C] Allowed to have own opinion, just because it didn't agree with someone else doesn't mean I was ridiculing them.

Mark

Strata Poster

Well let's hope, considering the 'work' so far and the fact they are far from finished with 3 months(ish) to go and hope they are planning on doing lots of additional artistry and so on.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

They've dumped a plane on top of the coaster and they'yre gonna be dropping random vehicles everywhere. Everyone needs to stop bumming it as amazing effort and theming from merlin.

Well Nemesis is considered great theming. When that's just a custom station..and loads of junk.

This is the same right?

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

bob_3_ said:
They've dumped a plane on top of the coaster and they'yre gonna be dropping random vehicles everywhere. Everyone needs to stop bumming it as amazing effort and theming from merlin.

Well Nemesis is considered great theming. When that's just a custom station..and loads of junk.

This is the same right?

Nemmie's papier mache-esque station and a Boeing jet engine are two entirely different concepts of themeing :wink:

Merlin are really going all out on this one. I don't think a UK ride has seen themeing as good as this since Oblivion.

Mark

Strata Poster

Except all the junk and so on around Nemesis was painted to be aged, trashed, dented and so from the start. So far this is a rather non-destroyed plane that has apparently been devastated etc.

This doesn't mean it won't end up looking more burnt and damaged at a later point though...

bob_3_

Giga Poster

I don't think they've finished the aging on the plane yet.

But tbf, it's a large scale prop, and I think it looks fantastic. And I don't get why people are moaning that the other (unseen) part of the plane is unthemed. Who cares, you won't see it in the area!

AJ

Giga Poster

Well if you're bringing nemesis into it, I [personally] believe the Landscaping has a lot to do with its theme.
Obviously the station branches out, it's great with destroyed bits of scaffolding, watch towers and guns and stuff here and there, but the parks built a lot of that theming [to my knowledge], they didn't plane-dump. The vehicles [as Mark said] were aged etc, and it all fit in with the area]

I rarely notice the vehicles around nemesis, call me ignorant. But yeh. The landscaping [imo] has a lot to do with Nemesis' theme [waterfalls, trenches, etc].

[/blasphemous]

But The Swarm doesn't actually have any landscaping to aid with the theme of the area, it's a flat canvas, therefore the effort should be higher on theming and submerging the public into a destructed land, not just expecting a wing glued to a shed to do the work.

They only have 3 months left to complete the work, and I just don't feel as though I'm being impressed as of yet <//3

I could be proved wrong, though. *hopes*

and re: not seeing the side of the wing when entering the area, there's 2 entrances [I think?], and the one through the sunken garden? That side of the wing will be VERY visible ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.