What's new

Thorpe Park Rebrand

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aye, it looks like the £9 million investment in this crash pad is to improve it (and use their own facilities rather than purchasing/renting from another company) and almost use it as a stop-gap until they either decide to go-ahead with the hotel or not.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Went to the park today, (got 20 rides in which was nice), and I really don't see why it gets so much hate?

Yes, some parts could use a clean up and some tlc, but really? I always have an enjoyable day out and get my money's worth! I can see why it may need a slight change in audience though, I did see a couple of bored families with younger children. But then again if you think about it, they have around 10 rides that are less thrilling and family friendly.

I know it's a matter of opinion whether you like the place or not, but I really do! Anyway yeah. Just thought I'd add that.

Oh and it terms of the Crash Pad, I think it's a good move, although if we don't see another coaster until 2017 I'm gonna be pretty annoyed. Unless they make other good investments and develop the park a bit more.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
So, John showed me the new TV ad today.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTPzl45VxGc[/youtube]

I hope they have a backlash of complaints from families who turn up at Thorpe unable to ride anything.

What scares me the most is the complete rigidity of their switch to this family friendly rebrand. It's so black and white, as if there's only 2 ways of doing things. Stupid family fun sillyness or abusive gross young adult sillyness. They find something doesn't work and do a complete 360 without any thought about the past or other attractions what so ever.

Rob

Mega Poster
^ Couldn't agree more.

It seems they've made an overnight swap from teen to family, and not actually adjusted their product at all. It's also bizarre that their 9pm openings consist of just Neptune's beach, depth charge and vortex staying open beyond 7, apparently another family orientated move.

The main issue, as I see this, is that the damage has now been done at Thorpe. They went to such lengths to destroy the theme park element of Thorpe Park in 2008/2009, it's going to be VERY hard for them to draw the right sort of crowds they're looking for.

Let's not kid ourselves, what the park want are families, because families bring the spending power, not the teenagers. The teen markets turn up, pay to get it, then spend minimum on park, and leave. They need that on-park spend more than anything else; it's no secret that's where their main source of income comes from.

Also worth noting is they are now offering completely free adult tickets through The Sun. Marketing this year is far greater than it has been previously and the appearance of Merlin 2 for 1's is more widespread than I have ever previously seen it. Now, this could be one of three things, on the one hand, maybe Merlin are wanting to reach an even greater markets share, but on the other, maybe it has been a second dire season, or third, they are trying to mop up the 2013 loses. I'd hedge my bets somewhere between the later 2.

Now, I welcome this family friendly move, hopefully Thorpe will start to move towards world class theme park, and undo some of the theme damage done in the past few years. They do have a fantastic product to offer, but it's just a shame the majority of the park has been left to crumble, in what was essentially a tactical move to avoid providing any form of theme. This means big work needs doing, unless they opt for a Blackpool of the south type vibe, and we've all seen how well Blackpool are doing...

But, lets hope for the best anyway. Hopefully, Thorpe won't kid themselves too much and make it clear that it's not a park to bring the under 10's to, and that's the message still clear on their website. Next season, I hope for a nice tidy up, and a re-opening of some of their more family orientated rides, along with efforts to shift the park back to it's position as the most profitable in the group, with consistent and coherent themes and excellent attention to detail, as demonstrated when it was the Tussauds rising star back in 2006/2007.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Rob said:
the damage has now been done

Obviously I don't speak for every family out there, but for us, 100% agree.

I think the last time I took the whole Family_Furie to Thorpe was for the Saw opening day. Madame_Furie refuses to go back again. She went to GhosterForce before that and found the day to be awful with a young child.

There's no more now for a family to do there than there was then, and it was abysmal. It's an awful place to take a family, and I suspect any family heading there this year won't return.

I just don't understand it, and Joey, every time I've seen that advert on TV, I've died a little inside.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
It's going to take a LOT more work than a quick rebrand and changing the map to entice full on families to turn up with Thorpe's reputation currently...

The advert is so stupid as well, portrays Thorpe in a light it wants well, but it promotes the idea that there's "fun for all the family", so what if families turn up and then find out that Jonny can only ride 6 rides? Danger to the reputation as a park suitable for families begins...

I look forward to a train going around Canada Creek, a 4D Cinema and a Car Ride being the new additions for next year...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
It's going to take a LOT more work than a quick rebrand and changing the map to entice full on families to turn up with Thorpe's reputation currently...

The thing is, Thorpe doesn't really have a "reputation". Most people care so little about theme parks that they just don't register. If they haven't been to Thorpe because it's advertised as a thrill park against the family parks of Chessington and Legoland, then they'll see the new advertising and "assume" that Thorpe have made massive changes. People really do rely on what the parks tell them in their advertising. It's why there's so much OUTRAGE!!!

Nemesis Inferno said:
The advert is so stupid as well, portrays Thorpe in a light it wants well, but it promotes the idea that there's "fun for all the family", so what if families turn up and then find out that Jonny can only ride 6 rides? Danger to the reputation as a park suitable for families begins...

THIS is when reputation falters. When they advertise they're one thing and they're not. NOW word of mouth gets around the offices and families. The adverts LIE and people have OUTRAGE. Next year they'll suffer for it.

Nemesis Inferno said:
I look forward to a train going around Canada Creek, a 4D Cinema and a Car Ride being the new additions for next year...

PMSL! Spot on :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
In regards to having a 'reputation' it was more towards long queues, bad atmosphere and dodgy guests and security being more the point rather than being a 'thrill park' (although that does apply)...

If they're thinking it'll be a success instantly (and considering Merlin's love of instant satisfaction in regards to income, this would not be a surprise), they're in for a nasty shock, even if they had 2/3 new 'kids' rides next year... They won't have advanced at all in comparison to before Tussauds came in on a family level...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
What is "family" though? Is it the atmosphere? The rides? Is it down to height limits?

I suppose a family park is a park where all of the family, regardless of age, have something to do. This limits Thorpe to Neptune's Beach and the carousel for the little ones.

However, once they reach the magical 1 mtr height, there are a fair amount of rides available (some accompanied by an an adult). Some of the
X, Zodiac, Rapids, Depth Charge, Loggers, Monkey boat, Rocky Express, Fish.

Furie has mentioned the point before about young kids seeing the big rides and not being able to ride them. Or Daddy wanting to ride the big stuff but can't because he doesn't want to leave the kids. Without an area or more rides suitable for younger children, Thorpe will never be a family friendly park.

I don't think their target will ever be the young family market that we see at Legoland, Chessington or Paultons. Thorpe's family target is more suited for children over a metre tall and at least 11 years old. Remember, a "family" does not exclusively include children under 1mtr/<10 years old. The late junior school/early secondary school kids target is the better family direction for Thorpe imo. The stepping stone between kids park and adults park.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
In regards to having a 'reputation' it was more towards long queues, bad atmosphere and dodgy guests and security being more the point rather than being a 'thrill park' (although that does apply)...

The thing is, that's entirely subjective, depending on the day you go. I've been to Thorpe when it's pretty empty and really pleasant. I've been when it's busy and pleasant. I've also been when it's heaving and ugly and empty and ugly. What you take away is all down to what that day happens to be like and what you experience.

To go as a family unit and expect a day out like you would at Chessington, or even somewhere like Drayton or Flamingoland, Thorpe will fail each and every time you visit.

Ian said:
What is "family" though? Is it the atmosphere? The rides? Is it down to height limits?

I suppose a family park is a park where all of the family, regardless of age, have something to do.

I think it's this exactly. Every person in that family group should be able to find some form of entertainment that could keep them occupied for the entire day. It's why I mentioned DMP and FL above - both parks have such a wide range of rides that parents with kids from babies to teens can find something to do. They're also smaller parks like Thorpe where they have managed to fit it all into a smaller area, so families don't need to split up for long. Alton fails here, because there is often little to do for younger riders near larger rides (which is why I don't think Alton is a good family day out either - you can't stay together).

Ian said:
However, once they reach the magical 1 mtr height, there are a fair amount of rides available (some accompanied by an an adult). Some of the
X, Zodiac, Rapids, Depth Charge, Loggers, Monkey boat, Rocky Express, Fish.

That pretty much is it though. I reckon that even on a really, really busy day you could do all of the kids stuff (below 1.4M) in an hour and a half. On a quieter day, half an hour. The question is, how many times can you re-ride those particular rides and get a full "good value" day from?

The main issue here you're right about Ian - What is family? I think you're spot on that Thorpe is fine for that "transition" age, from about 9 onwards. That's absolutely family, but I think most people when they see "family" they think "all inclusive" in terms of age.

Thorpe doesn't offer that, I don't think that they ever will without massive investment in new infrastructure and rides for it and I think they were probably right differentiating themselves from CWoA, Legoland and Paultons. They've obviously knee-jerked due to poor attendance figures which may have little to do with their branding anyway. It's a one year blip which also hit Alton!

marc

CF Legend
Alton tried the family route and look what happened there, attendance dropped.

Thorpe has never been a family park for younger families, well apart from the 80's. It was dire and Chessington was better.

Thorpe is a park for families of 8 year olds plus and tbh I don't see anything wrong with that.

The problem is there is no real park that caters for people just below the 1.4 height.

What I do find funny is a park like Adventure Island have got the balance spot on. There is enough for kids, teens and adults. The half price wrist band is worth it but the normal one is not.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
furie said:
The main issue here you're right about Ian - What is family? I think you're spot on that Thorpe is fine for that "transition" age, from about 9 onwards. That's absolutely family, but I think most people when they see "family" they think "all inclusive" in terms of age.
Yes, family is family regardless of the childrens age. In the advert though, the children are about 9 years old, so if people are as susceptible to the adverts as you mentioned earlier...
furie said:
they'll see the new advertising and "assume" that Thorpe have made massive changes. People really do rely on what the parks tell them in their advertising.
...they won't be taking under 9's to Thorpe.

Thorpe's strategy should not be to market it as a "fun for all of the family" park (although on paper it's correct, in reality it isn't), but a "fun for the family...with older kids" park.

I don't think the advert really deserves OUTRAGE. It clearly shows Thorpe is suitable for older children families and doesn't feature toddlers at all.

Perhaps Thorpe are trying to create a new target market, instead of the one size fits all family park?

marc

CF Legend
Pmsl a girl at work was just talking about the fact they went to Thorpe with the kids yesterday.

There were people smoking joints the queue lines and doing coke off the bins.

They reported it to security and nothing happened.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^That's absolutely disgusting!

Just think how unhygienic those bins must be.

Darren B

Giga Poster
gavin said:
^That's absolutely disgusting!

Just think how unhygienic those bins must be.

You're a **** legend haha.

I really don't think they need to keep on switching target audiences to keep the visitor numbers up, just a good solid substantial Rollercoaster that will keep people coming back in the masses. I'm willing to bet Stealth increased the numbers dramatically and kept the crowds coming back for a few years at least. It was something different for the UK, it looks great and gives a cracking ride! I'm sure something along the lines of a B&M hyper would do the trick for their next coaster, The Big One has certainly done its job for PBB over the past 20 years.