What's new

Thorpe Park Rebrand

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Hey Guys!

Over the past two or three days some rumours have been said and some changes have been pointed out on other forums...except ours. So the website has removed all tracing of the "big heads". As we saw with X which has opened now to a wider audience, do you think the park has realised they've limited their audience too much? In addition, Thorpe's Facebook page is showing more images of families having a good time and getting reviews more from parents. People are saying this is the start to the park getting a cleaner image and smartening themselves up but do you beleive that? Or is the park going to still remain as it is? Apparently more changes are to come and this late in the season?! Merlin/Thorpe if they're going with the rebrand must think it's urgent if they're doing it now rather than closed season.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I noticed the publicity for Snoozebox was had lots of photos of families using them. I would guess take-up of rooms is poor and they're trying to reposition the whole thing as good for families (although I wonder where this will leave poor Chessington in the market).

Tim

Roller Poster
Yup, this is definately their aim. I heard it from a friend in the Merlin office centre long before it became a story online

Dunno what it'll entail, except steering away from the horrible BRAP BRAP BRUV marketting. But hopefully it'll mean investment in some neglected areas like family thrill rides, facilities and environment.

My main question though... is this a kneejerk reaction to Swarms dismal public performance, or have they reached the limit on the market share they targetted?

The strategy worked for a long time and their expansion has been great. But I'll be more than happy to see them change direction now thats all been established

LG95

Roller Poster
While it is always important to never exclude families, I hope it remains their primary focus to remain as "The Nations thrill capital". I always thought that was a neat marketing slogan.

As for those fatheads. Good riddance! Please tell me a new park map is next.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
From the latest Global Attraction Attendance Report we can see Thorpe attendance dropped 10% last year (despite The Swarm) while Legoland (who only added a Star Wars miniland) went up 5%. If families are the only people spending money at the moment it makes sense to go after them although I would prefer parks to have a plan rather than make kneejerk reactions.

(Mind you, Chessington doesn't seem to have had much movement)

Lofty

CF Legend
May I just be the one to state that Thorpe Park aren't having a rebrand?

A rebrand is a complete overhaul of everything; marketing, aesthetics, graphic designs, styling etc.

Is this topic more based on, "What do you think would be better?" As it seems to be heading that way…

marc

CF Legend
Unless they plan to get a load of new rides it will never happen.

The park is ok for families with young teens.

Years ago sfmm tried to go the family route, it did not work.

Thorpe should stick to what they do best and that's be a thrill park.

If they want more visitors its simple really. Lower the bloody prices and put on better transport.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
^That's hit the nail on the head. A family isn't going to pay those prices when the children(if they are under 1.4 meters) are going to get bored rather quickly. Merlin need to sort prices out, not the park.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Lofty said:
May I just be the one to state that Thorpe Park aren't having a rebrand?

A rebrand is a complete overhaul of everything; marketing, aesthetics, graphic designs, styling etc.

Is this topic more based on, "What do you think would be better?" As it seems to be heading that way…

It's more that they're changing direction I think - pedant :p

And yes, they can't suddenly start to try and make it a family park when there are only a handful of rides suitable for those under 10 or so. It will take years to rebuild that section of appeal. It will stil lalso be filled with foul mouthed chavs, which doesn't help.

It's worth noting that Alton also made family investment, but have also seen an almost 10% decline in visitors... So, erm, it doesn't make sense, unless it's been in the pipeline for a long time.

Lofty

CF Legend
Are they busy and successful with the market they're currently aiming at? Yes. Why change it?

gunmonkey

Roller Poster
Don't understand why they need to rebrand, my five year old loves the ministry of sound events :lol:

marc

CF Legend
Tbh the Olympics as they said affected it, it affected them on every level so they should see how this year is.

They ruined The Swarm by making it go backwards so I hope they don't ruin anything else.

We went on Sunday with non coaster goons and one of the guys made a valid comment. It was his 1st UK park, he's been to Orlando, he liked the park but felt a lot was missing in terms of theming. As he pointed out its just ride after ride with no stories and boring queues. As much as he liked the park and the rides he would not rush back.

So if Thorpe wants families they need to theme to keep families interested.

The public do notice things.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I remember a discussion a while back regarding Thorpe's choice to go so heavily in pursuit of the teen/young adult market. Most people believed it to be economically stupid, given the pickle Six Flags found themselves in, having to turn to **** like rolling out Thomas Lands in hope of convincing a wider audience to the parks. The problem is, when you've taken it as far as Thorpe has, you end up with a bad reputation. They have openly encouraged disgusting behaviour with the onslaught of an agressive atmosphere created by music and marketing. The recent big heads stuff shows characters vomiting, hospitalised, etc.

Like Tim said, I hope this isn't just knee-jerk, but it probably is. How can you go from something as "extreme" as the big heads crap one second to SUDDENLY being like "oh **** need family here!" Zufari has supposedly been doing well and raised visitor numbers - but I hope whoever is collecting that data is remembering that Chessington's Zoo Days also reached capacity this year during February half term and the park's attendance was higher than last for the period BEFORE Zufari opened. Of course, any new attraction will increase attendance, but it's higher this year full stop.

Thorpe's hard work to visit now. That's why Chessington has the huge annual pass visitor numbers, because whilst there is very little to do there and none of it is that great, it's a nice environment. But that's not about theming, it's the clientele, music, staff, types of rides, etc.

Thorpe can be a "thrill park" without excluding families. Kids hit 1.4 at around 9-11 years old. That's still really young, young enough to still be going out on family trips and much younger than it's marketing targets.

I want to see a shuttle bus run between the parks during peak season and a focus on "TWO PARKS!" for hotel stayers. With park tickets during the hotel stay valid for either parks and the ability to park hop. That will actually make the whole "resort" thing legit. I'd like to see Chessington get a small waterpark. I'd like to see Thorpe's dome transformed into a mini City Walk style area, extended, with bowling, dining, bars, etc for after hours chilling.

If you're going to copy Orlando parks, Merlin, do it properly.

nealbie

CF Legend
See, I completely agree that the shuttle bus between Merlin's 3 South-East parks is the way to go. With multiple day tickets working at all of them in various combinations. Not a single one of Thorpe, LEGOLAND and Chessington are a "resort" on their own. But they're all within 20 minutes of eachother.

Shame when I suggested it internally in great detail two years ago it was laughed at. Merlin haven't got a clue what they're doing! xD

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Is there not a prime opportunity there for somebody to offer a travel service then?

Set up a business with a mini bus, taking bookings for local hotels and a shuttle service between the three parks?

Merlin are the worst of companies. They're a small British company who have grown big, rapidly and don't actually understand how to do fully integrated business. There's no serious connectivity between their individual businesses. Yes, they share marketing and design teams - but beyond that, each attraction is essentially self-managed and there doesn't seem to be anyone actually looking at the business in a truly holistic manner.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Is there not a prime opportunity there for somebody to offer a travel service then?

Set up a business with a mini bus, taking bookings for local hotels and a shuttle service between the three parks?
Nah, because the issue is that the company is not cross promoting it's products*, like you say in your next paragraph. Without that, many people simply don't realise they are the same company. Externally it wouldn't work - you need, like Neal says, combination tickets that let you visit Lego, Chessie and Thorpe in the same day, should you wish to. With both Legoland and Chessington having a hotel, it's simply BONKERS that they haven't done it yet.

I'm not expect Disney level service here, but if you could get a free bus (when a combo ticket or hotel reservation is shown) between the 3 parks, people would definitely use it and pay EXTRA for the benefit of combo tickets, just like they do at Disney and Universal, because people like the idea of freedom even if they never utilise it. You'd not BELIEVE the number of people who visit down to do just Chessington... In my opinion, Chessington is far from a 2 day park, and surely most people realise that during their visit and won't return to do the holiday again? Relying on new customers constantly is something they are slowly learning doesn't work.

* On a funny side note, why the **** would anyone go to SeaLife in London if they've been to Chessington? SeaLife London relies on passing and tourist trade, that's why. But the danger is that with all your midways providing exactly the same experience and opening up the world over, eventually tourists are going to get savvy. If I'm holidaying in California, would I bother going to Madame Tussauds Hollywood, when I have the signature one in London?

There's no thought for the future with anything they do anymore. It's just copy and pasting and rushed additions.

The most frustrating part of all is that you bet people who can change it are reading this and I bet they all sit around going "lololol enthusiasts are so silly, they don't understand anything" when it's increasingly apparent that maybe our free advice should actually considered. As Neal pointed out, they praise obscure impractical suggestions from low level staff whilst ignoring things which would actually make a difference, and fail to notice that successes from one attraction might/might not work elsewhere. No consideration, ever. No practical forethought... And it's mostly because those in control do not pay enough attention to the industry to notice glaring flaws in concepts before they get off the ground.