What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Hangtime, IMO, is more like where literally the only thing keeping you there is the restraint, like a sustained inverted track that we're seeing become a lot more common since RMC started doing it.

Good examples are Goliath @ SFGAmerica and Zadra @ Energylandia.
I would say that the RMCs have perfected the stall, as all of theirs I've ridden (Goliath, Wildfire, Zadra) all feel like Zero-G, an upside down B&M floaty hill if you will. The restraint is there but your full weight isn't against it.

Other manufacturers are hit and miss with their attempts. Intamin springs to mind initially, Taiga's is excellent, Toutatis' is nearly as good as Taiga's, but Gotham City Escape's is full on hangtime, no upside down airtime at all.

There are obvious hangtime examples everywhere, any Jojo style roll such as Hydra or RTH, S&S El Locos, Maurer Sky Loops and the defunct G-Force, but RMC isn't a manufacturer I associate with it.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I would say that the RMCs have perfected the stall, as all of theirs I've ridden (Goliath, Wildfire, Zadra) all feel like Zero-G, an upside down B&M floaty hill if you will. The restraint is there but your full weight isn't against it.

Other manufacturers are hit and miss with their attempts. Intamin springs to mind initially, Taiga's is excellent, Toutatis' is nearly as good as Taiga's, but Gotham City Escape's is full on hangtime, no upside down airtime at all.

There are obvious hangtime examples everywhere, any Jojo style roll such as Hydra or RTH, S&S El Locos, Maurer Sky Loops and the defunct G-Force, but RMC isn't a manufacturer I associate with it.
Exactly the phrase I’ve used to describe Zadra’s stall in the past, it’s perfect, I’ve never felt like I’m hanging, the inverted air time somewhat pushes me into the seat.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
GOOD TO KNOW, THANKS
WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?

On a serious note, can it really be classed as 'overrated?' I mean, it's going to be rated very high by casual UK enthusiasts, because it's the biggest thing in the UK, but can that be classed as 'over' rated, when it is the biggest thing in the UK?

catsounds

Mega Poster
GMh-AQrg-Xw-AEERGo-format-jpg-name-large.jpg

Entrance portal from Jack Silkstone's twitter

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I feel like I'm always moaning and picking fault lately, instead of just enjoying things... Is this what happens with age?

But my goodness, I am not a fan of 'Fearless Valley.' It sounds like they were really struggling for names and so looked to their big brother in the North for ideas.

It's not even a valley!!! Forbidden Valley sits on the northern face of the Churnet Valley. Thorpe Park is as flat as they come...

To balance out the negativity... Entrance Portal looks like it's shaping up to be fantastic!

Ollie

CF Legend
I feel like I'm always moaning and picking fault lately, instead of just enjoying things... Is this what happens with age?
I've become the opposite as I got older. Used to be negative and pick faults with things in my teens because it wasn't what I wanted as an enthusiast. Now I'm in my 30s and find I'm just enjoying things for what they are. Might be because I had a break from visiting parks for a few years so coming back with a fresh set of eyes and seeing the excitement it brings my kids when visiting a park.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I've become the opposite as I got older. Used to be negative and pick faults with things in my teens because it wasn't what I wanted as an enthusiast. Now I'm in my 30s and find I'm just enjoying things for what they are. Might be because I had a break from visiting parks for a few years so coming back with a fresh set of eyes and seeing the excitement it brings my kids when visiting a park.
I'm 40s, and had a break last year... I've been more critical since coming back. 🙈 😂

My kids are grown up now, but some of the best times with them, through the years, have been spent travelling Europe and beyond for theme parks. So it makes me very happy to hear you're making the most of these years, and really enjoying them, the time goes way too quickly. :)

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I'm with you, perhaps as we get older we see the very real effort every little thing takes and understand that increased costs impact what the park can achieve (they would have approved this capex before prices shot up for everything).

I find myself getting increasingly frustrated with the negativity around every little detail. Would I prefer it to have a longer layout (just another out and back couple of hills would do)? Yes. Do I wish the queue would snake around the ride rather than cattle pen? Absolutely. Will any of this ruin the ride for me? Not at all!

The signs look cool by the way, someone put a lot of effort into designing that.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm with you, perhaps as we get older we see the very real effort every little thing takes and understand that increased costs impact what the park can achieve (they would have approved this capex before prices shot up for everything).

I find myself getting increasingly frustrated with the negativity around every little detail. Would I prefer it to have a longer layout (just another out and back couple of hills would do)? Yes. Do I wish the queue would snake around the ride rather than cattle pen? Absolutely. Will any of this ruin the ride for me? Not at all!

The signs look cool by the way, someone put a lot of effort into designing that.
That's the key thing... I am finding myself being more critical of things, but it doesn't ruin anything for me... I can say this or that would be better, or I am not a fan of x, y, z, but still have an absolute blast.

Anyway, we've gone off on a tangent here, discussing psychology lol... Back to the point, the name 'Fearless Valley' is a bit pants is it not?

And yes, the sign looks great. Also worth pointing out that the queue fencing looks to be lower, themed, fencing too, not the tall security fencing everybody was worried about, at least not throughout the entire queue, which can only be good news. :) I did say earlier in the thread that I think the tall fencing was just for the safety critical areas, like the ride area, and I'm pleased that seems to be the case.

Ollie

CF Legend
I've also gained a lot more appreciation now that I design attractions myself. Small things to the general public become big things when it's you managing a project. Even something as mundane as sorting the queue area means planning the pathing, making sure it's a safe route, ensuring it can hold enough capacity to keep main pathways clear, contracting builders, sourcing materials and working out costs etc and that's before you've even got to the attraction itself.

Things can always be better but most things are done for a reason, be it budget, planning permissions or approval from the higher ups. I once designed an escape room for a client who tried to argue with me that £30 on padlocks needed for the room was too expensive. 🤣

Don't love or hate the name Fearless Valley. Same level for me as Swarm Island. Looks like Thorpe have dropped the area names on their park map anyway so doesn't seem like it'll be in your face at all. Love the entrance archway though. Miles better than the usual metal sign on a wooden frame that we're used to.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I've also gained a lot more appreciation now that I design attractions myself. Small things to the general public become big things when it's you managing a project. Even something as mundane as sorting the queue area means planning the pathing, making sure it's a safe route, ensuring it can hold enough capacity to keep main pathways clear, contracting builders, sourcing materials and working out costs etc and that's before you've even got to the attraction itself.

Things can always be better but most things are done for a reason, be it budget, planning permissions or approval from the higher ups. I once designed an escape room for a client who tried to argue with me that £30 on padlocks needed for the room was too expensive. 🤣

Don't love or hate the name Fearless Valley. Same level for me as Swarm Island. Looks like Thorpe have dropped the area names on their park map anyway so doesn't seem like it'll be in your face at all. Love the entrance archway though. Miles better than the usual metal sign on a wooden frame that we're used to.
There’s your answer then… The truth is, as painful as it is to admit, the rest of us like to comment because we believe we could do it better, we wish we were doing it, but in actual fact we don’t know everything that goes into it. There’s nothing wrong with that per se, it’s human nature.

You’re literally living the dream, so no longer have this mindset. You can fully appreciate everything that had to go into the difficult decisions, and with a little more understanding, fully appreciate the positives.

(P.s I’m fully aware that, even just being aware of this should make me less critical, but it won’t, irony huh? 🙈😂)