What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
The park explained on their annual passholders group that there was a clear creative decision behind the colour change, stating that it looked more 'dynamic' than a typical fade like what Stealth has. This was a Merlin Magic Making level creative decision.
Oh give me a break (to them, not you, I'm not shooting the messenger here :)). "More Dynamic" is just some BS jargon they made up at the last second to disguise the fact that they've decided to cheap out now that the coaster is erected.

It doesn't really bother ME per se, as I didn't even know about the fade until the past couple days due to this thread lol. I guess it does look odd, but keep in mind something that seems simple would require going to every single individual support and piece of track where the transition should be, and basically fading it by hand, which really would take a bit of planning and quite a bit of time.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
This 1000% had to be cost cutting over any type of creative decision. Nothing about that mess says stylistic choice.

I'm more worried about when they'll get it open currently. I was eyeing up a late April or early May trip but might leave it a bit later. June/July when the brats are still at school or September when they've gone back. Do we have a rough idea yet?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
So just lift hill, first drop and the turnaround to be linked now then?

If they get it all in within the next couple of weeks then maybe a March opening but looking more like April now.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
So just lift hill, first drop and the turnaround to be linked now then?

If they get it all in within the next couple of weeks then maybe a March opening but looking more like April now.
I'm thinking May is the earliest... Don't they have to finish removing the infill of the lake, and complete any other work requiring heavy machinery that side of the site before they complete the lift hill, or did I imagine hearing / reading that somewhere?

As it stands now, there's only 3 months left until the end of April, and we've no sign of a lift hill yet, never mind a pull through, landscaping and testing. I'll reassess if they've completed the track, done the pull through (which will be challenging on that site, assuming they intend to do one) and started testing by the end of February, but for now I personally think March is well beyond reach, and April is doubtful.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Don't they have to finish removing the infill of the lake, and complete any other work requiring heavy machinery that side of the site before they complete the lift hill, or did I imagine hearing / reading that somewhere?

I'm not aware of them needing to do this. Equally though, it's not a ridiculous suggestion, so could well be the case.

The construction phase of the coaster has taken much longer than I expected tbf. Not quite sure why either. But beyond finishing the lift and drop, the park still have to sort out the lake, landscaping, paving, etc, etc. With the lake being a pretty key visual aspect as you exit the ride, and whilst on ride, that's not something the park will want to leave unfinished aesthetically for opening either. Then of course, testing and all that.

Personally, I think the park were originally aiming for a March opening, but that feels incredibly unlikely now. I'd say any time after the Easter school break (so late-April) seems most likely right now.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I don't understand how the outerbank turn was built so quickly whilst the park was still open, then after the park closed construction seemed to slow significantly.

It's not like the weather's been particularly bad or anything.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I don't understand how the outerbank turn was built so quickly whilst the park was still open, then after the park closed construction seemed to slow significantly.

It's not like the weather's been particularly bad or anything.
Genuine question, and no offence intended, but is this sarcasm?

It's not been cold, but excess rain has meant the site is a constant mud bath, and we've had way more than our fair share of wind hampering working at height. (I read that we're close to breaking the record on named storms this season already, with 7 months left to go. Excuse the source https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-uk-set-record-breaking-31937547 )

Edit: Corrected, as apparently I cannot read an article properly.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Genuine question, and no offence intended, but is this sarcasm?

It's not been cold, but excess rain has meant the site is a constant mud bath, and we've had way more than our fair share of wind hampering working at height. (I read that we're close to breaking the record on named storms this season already, with 7 months left to go. Excuse the source https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-uk-set-record-breaking-31937547 )

Edit: Corrected, as apparently I cannot read an article properly.
Not sarcasm. Where I live in the South it hasn't been abnormally bad. Nothing you wouldn't get normally over the winter. Maybe it's been worse around Thorpe.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Surely the weather has been a tad more extreme this year, or is it that we name storms now they are more noticeable.

Take a Canoe.

This essential advice to anyone planning a trip down Monks Walk a few weeks back is still cracking me up.

The wind will be more of a problem especially when working at heights. Don't want those massive steel parts swinging out of control.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'm local to Thorpe and I wouldn't say the weather has been particularly awful.

There's been a couple of cold snaps, and the rain which caused some flooding. But I wouldn't say it's been particularly bad, nor been awful enough to cause major issues with construction

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Surely the weather has been a tad more extreme this year, or is it that we name storms now they are more noticeable.

This essential advice to anyone planning a trip down Monks Walk a few weeks back is still cracking me up.

The wind will be more of a problem especially when working at heights. Don't want those massive steel parts swinging out of control.
Agree, if anything has caused delays weatherwise, it will be the wind.

6 named storms, 9 days in total, in just 47 days... All of which, whilst not necessarily hitting directly over Thorpe, produced winds, or more specifically gusts, that potentially could make working at height problematic. The HSE advises no working at height above 23mph. (All of those storms had gusts ranging from 35mph (30kts) to 69mph (60kts) in London and the Greater London area according to the Met office. Links to historical storm data here if anybody is interested. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-storm-centre/index including speed maps for the entire country.)

Then there's the Christmas break... I presume they broke up for Christmas? (I don't actually know to be fair.) and, these factors combined, I don't think it's fair to say progress has been slow.

Edited to add... Confirmation from the SLK himself, wind has gotten in the way...

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I imagine (/ hope) that the brown-gold colour will also look much better when the area is complete, as it'll contrast against the lake, greenery and even the concrete from paths.

Right now, there's little distinguishing the supports from the ground, so it feels less visually striking.