What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
I wonder if lots of trims can actually help it run in more conditions. Like I know Saw can't run in moderate winds because of the risk of it slowing down too much and valleying, perhaps Hyperia is designed to naturally run faster than it needs to, and then they can use trims etc if it's not windy, but it still has enough energy when it is if they just turn the trims down/off?

spicy

Giga Poster
Magnetic trims though aren’t they so can’t be turned off?

I really don’t like seeing them on a drop like that. I Just hope they aren’t noticeable like on Thirteen where you physically feel the train deceleration during the drop, don’t even mind that it’s slowing down it just doesn’t feel nice being forced into the lap bar.
I worry at the speeds Hyperia will be doing these trims could feel way worse.

I wasn’t bothered by the shortness of the layout but it’s having a knock on effect where there isn’t enough track or elements to naturally kill the speed so it’s got to be trimmed.

I just hope there aren’t any on the first drop.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yes, that's what everyone wants, because otherwise this coaster will be completely bonkers

I really don’t like seeing them on a drop like that. I Just hope they aren’t noticeable like on Thirteen where you physically feel the train deceleration during the drop, don’t even mind that it’s slowing down it just doesn’t feel nice being forced into the lap bar.
I worry at the speeds Hyperia will be doing these trims could feel way worse.

I wasn’t bothered by the shortness of the layout but it’s having a knock on effect where there isn’t enough track or elements to naturally kill the speed so it’s got to be trimmed.

This, exactly this... The 'length' as such didn't bother me, it's not much shorter than Zadra... But if it means it's packed with multiple trim elements, then isn't that just lazy, bad, design? I mean surely the aim when designing any 'thrill' coaster layout is to use 'all' of the available momentum to give riders the maximum amount of thrill without putting them in danger. If you need to use trim so often and so early, to keep things safe, then the energy spent getting the train up so high was wasted.

Edited to add: Ironically, I've just spotted the whole Hyperia Vs Nemesis thread in the recent threads list... I don't think people fully appreciate that's EXACTLY what Nemesis does so well... Squeezes every single droplet of energy and momentum out of the drop and layout to maintain near perfect pacing...

Last edited:

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Of course if you only have a limited budget for a ride and use most of that making it taller the length will be effected & that trains gonna have to be kept in check through the layout otherwise its definitely gonna overspeed.
The more I see go up the more I wonder if it would of been better being shorter but with a longer layout

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Of course if you only have a limited budget for a ride and use most of that making it taller the length will be effected & that trains gonna have to be kept in check through the layout otherwise its definitely gonna overspeed.
The more I see go up the more I wonder if it would of been better being shorter but with a longer layout
(Hypothetically speaking, we don't know yet how hard these trims will hit, or if they'll negatively impact the ride.) You can't blame the park, or the budget, for the design of the coaster. (Or Merlin for that matter, though I expect you will try. ;) 🤣 )

Sorry but this one is on Mack, they're the manufacturers. Ultimately it's up to them to look at the brief, site layout and budget then say "yes, it can be done," "no, it can't be done" or "yes it can be done, but it shouldn't, as it will be trimmed to death."

Hopefully this is all just a big fuss about nothing, and those trims hardly do a thing...

Edited to add: Regardless of what us goons think about it on opening day, the GP will not give two hoots about some trim brakes, they won't even notice they're there, the British public will be in awe of this ride regardless, as there's nothing like it here...

jasone

Roller Poster
The trims are right before a pretty extreme element never seen before on a coaster. It’s the most extreme outer bank we’ve ever seen on a ride so far. It seems like good design to me that they would build in a safety feature that can be used to slow the train down, if for some reason it ends up travelling through this element faster than expected. They may be negligible and hardly hit. But they may be needed once it comes to testing. Better to have them just in case in my opinion.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Apologies for my crude handiwork but I thought some of you lot might be interested in this.

View attachment 29238View attachment 29239

I drew the rest of Hyperia's layout into this recent photo from Attraction Source and it really puts this ride's massive size into perspective. Saw looks tiny!
Even just looking at photos like these showing the massive scale of the ride, it's just disappointing that after the dive loop, which will still be huge, the ride just ends after 1-2 elements.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
The trims are right before a pretty extreme element never seen before on a coaster. It’s the most extreme outer bank we’ve ever seen on a ride so far. It seems like good design to me that they would build in a safety feature that can be used to slow the train down, if for some reason it ends up travelling through this element faster than expected. They may be negligible and hardly hit. But they may be needed once it comes to testing. Better to have them just in case in my opinion.
RMC build equally extreme elements and have never used trims as far as I'm aware. That's why we love their rides so much.

On the other hand ... Untamed has had to close the back few rows when it's running too fast, so one could argue maybe that should have been trimmed 🤷‍♂️

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Depends on the coaster type. On a B&M, they're variable and can be adjusted automatically. These brakes are simply a metal (copper?) fin mounted to the track, so the only way to have them not slow the train down is to get up on a lift and physically remove them. This is definitely a "just in case" situation, I expect they'll start testing with no trims there and add a few if the next element is overspeeding.

The good thing is that Mack brakes have an oddly weak braking force, so it might take all 4 to even feel a difference. Example; Ride to Happiness has two fins at the top of it's drop and is entirely unnoticeable.
This is what I'm looking out for. I would have thought if there's gonna be extra trims anywhere, it would be at the top right before the twist. Hopefully not.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
You've literally just described bad design... Designing an element that they're not entirely sure will be safe would be terrible design.

However, I don't for one minute think that's the case, I seriously doubt this is a 'just in case.' I'm sure they know exactly what speeds will be safe on that element, and (almost) exactly what speeds the train will be hitting it at, trimmed and untrimmed.

However, a slightly more realistic possibility is that the speeds the train would be hitting that element at are dependant, to some extent, on conditions, such as temperature... Hopefully the trims are adjustable (though this seems unlikely) and will only be needed in the most extreme, speed enhancing, conditions. 🤞

Sandman

Giga Poster
More trimming than a barbers here.

Don't get me wrong, this should still be a good ride regardless. I just find it peculiar when people are asserting it's already the best UK coaster and probably one of Europe's best too. Talk about jumping the gun 😂

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the remainder of the construction! Visually, this thing is a feast for the eyes!

jasone

Roller Poster
You've literally just described bad design... Designing an element that they're not entirely sure will be safe would be terrible design.

However, a slightly more realistic possibility is that the speeds the train would be hitting that element at are dependant, to some extent, on conditions, such as temperature... Hopefully the trims are adjustable (though this seems unlikely) and will only be needed in the most extreme, speed enhancing, conditions.

You’ve literally just said the same thing. It’s there to ensure the ride is running through this element at the intended speed, if for some reason (weather conditions etc) the train is running slightly faster.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
You’ve literally just said the same thing. It’s there to ensure the ride is running through this element at the intended speed, if for some reason (weather conditions etc) the train is running slightly faster.
No it's not the same thing at all, I took issue with it being implied that the brakes were a 'just in case' measure as the suggestion was that they weren't sure how it'd ride... To quote...

Big difference between implying that they need trims due to them not knowing how this 'never before seen extreme element' will ride, and them needing trims because they 'know' it will be too fast in certain conditions... BIG difference. 👍

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Can I take us away for the trims for one second, and can we start theorising the inversion names now please? I've been thinking about it for more than a day which means I've either missed key info or we need to start this discourse immediately.

Some options I thought of:
1. Thorpe Roll
2. Inverting Reversed Overhang
3. Rolling Outer bank
4. Hyperia-Hang
5. StupidStupidSilly thing
6. M3-stinger
7. Logger's Spin-roll
8. OhGodYesGiveMeMOOORE

spicy

Giga Poster
Edit: ^ Sorry to bring it back to trims I had already started writing before you posted 😂

Looking at the two sets of trims we have so far I would hope and assume that the ones on the drop only kick in if the train is severely overspeeding due to weather etc.. If these kick in every single ride without fail then that's definately bad design and the drops are simply too big for the coasters layout..

However the splashdown ones are like another brake run, I think they are going to kick in pretty hard every ride. Hopefully that is just a mega trim for testing and some will be removed by opening day.

jasone

Roller Poster
Big difference between implying that they need trims due to them not knowing how this 'never before seen extreme element' will ride, and them needing trims because they 'know' it will be too fast in certain conditions... BIG difference. 👍

I didn’t say it’s because they wouldn’t know how it would ride though. I said:

“It seems like good design to me that they would build in a safety feature that can be used to slow the train down, if for some reason it ends up travelling through this element faster than expected” - i was implying it has a speed it’s designed for, but in certain real world conditions, like in certain weathers/temperatures etc this optimum speed could be slightly overshot, hence the trim.

Anyway, in regards to the name, I’m kind of here for Monks roll too. 😅