What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

JoshC.

Strata Poster
In terms of throughput, this is from the plans:

received_302445575935693.png
This isn't from the original set of plans, but a later set which was submitted about a year ago I believe.

1050pph sounds realistic given the ride length and capacity. It also sounds achievable, especially since there was a renewed focus on throughput and efficiency this past season.

Whether 1050pph is the theoretical throughput or expected one is a different matter, but it gives us a ballpark expected figure.

toofpikk

Mega Poster

View attachment 28368
This isn't from the original set of plans, but a later set which was submitted about a year ago I believe.

1050pph sounds realistic given the ride length and capacity. It also sounds achievable, especially since there was a renewed focus on throughput and efficiency this past season.

Whether 1050pph is the theoretical throughput or expected one is a different matter, but it gives us a ballpark expected figure.

Interesting to see this breakdown. Would love to know what doc it's from. I know European parks use different measurements for average guest space usage in queues. I wonder if this is a standard UK/Merlin measurement or something the architect has suggested?

Niles

Giga Poster
So if ive done this right they need to get a train out every 68ish seconds to hit this 1050 throughput, which sounds a bit......fast.

3600 ÷ 1050 × 20 = 68.5
Seconds ph ÷ throughput × seats = time

I remember this video which shows Thorpes theoretical pph from what the manufactures at the top say it is and what was observed that day below and comparing both.

Each day is different but it gives a good idea of other coasters pph.
IMG_20231120_190343.jpg

1050 puts it between swarm and stealth by the manufactures theoretical times, if they can say get a train out every minute and a half the pph goes to 800 which seems doable and would still be better than most of the coasters at the park.

After riding RTH and Icon i do remember thinking we dispatched quick, checks went fast. No idea on the time but i hope Thorpe have some speedy ops and the train goes up the lift fast.

Last edited:

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Do we know if Hyperia will have seatbelts? It certainly slowed down ops on Icon when they were added.

It seems such a minor thing but can make a huge difference to dispatch speeds.

So if ive done this right they need to get a train out every 68ish seconds to hit this 1050 throughput, which sounds a bit......fast.
I spent a lot of time at Stealth past season and more often than not the OPs were hitting sub-60 second dispatch times. Saw's operations this year have also been pretty stellar. Obviously Stealth has a separate offload platform which significantly helps. However, Hyperia will have a simpler & less restrictive restraint system than Stealth plus no seatbelts which I guess somewhat levels the playing field. Given the new focus on throughput, I would have thought that around 68 seconds would be achievable? (hopefully!)

Last edited:

lemonylucas

Roller Poster
Do you think this will have a SRQ? I don’t think the plans show one but Mandrill Mayhem has one and I don’t remember the plans showing one there either.

Matt N

CF Legend
Do you think this will have a SRQ? I don’t think the plans show one but Mandrill Mayhem has one and I don’t remember the plans showing one there either.
I don’t think it will. The only reason Mandrill Mayhem is able to have an SRQ is because they integrated the virtual queueing system, thus negating the need for separate Fastrack and RAP queues.

Come to think of it, that could actually have more to do with Chessington amalgamating Fastrack and RAP under the umbrella of “Reserve and Ride”, but that’s still a reason why I don’t think it’ll happen at Thorpe, as Thorpe does not have the same system.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster

3600 ÷ 1050 × 20 = 68.5
Seconds ph ÷ throughput × seats = time

I remember this video which shows Thorpes theoretical pph from what the manufactures at the top say it is and what was observed that day below and comparing both.

Each day is different but it gives a good idea of other coasters pph.

1050 puts it between swarm and stealth by the manufactures theoretical times, if they can say get a train out every minute and a half the pph goes to 800 which seems doable and would still be better than most of the coasters at the park.

After riding RTH and Icon i do remember thinking we dispatched quick, checks went fast. No idea on the time but i hope Thorpe have some speedy ops and the train goes up the lift fast.

This is awesome (I removed the image from the quote to avoid bloating the thread), and to me shows how a good B&M is an absolute capacity monster...
I agree on both RTH and Icon, on my visits dispatch has been very quick across both rides, and I'll extend that to the other modern-macks I've ridden. You hope Thorpe will have some speedy ops, and my experience this year leads me to think they probably will. I don't think I've ever had an issue with Thorpe's ops from a station staff/dispatch perspective, even when the downtime is bad the staff have always been pretty fantastic in my experience.

4B&Ms mentions sub-60 second dispatch on Stealth. Yeah, they were throwing people through on my last visit. I see no reason why they can't on Hyperia.

Does anyone know if this will have a front-row queue? It's not unusual for Thorpe. I do want to see a back-row queue instead though, a lot of parks have realised that people want it. I may be misremembering but Kondaa has a back row queue (or do I always get lucky?).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

View attachment 28368

Are we just going to ignore the fact that they're only expecting 90 minutes worth of queue? Or am I missing something, is that not what this document means? Maybe 525m is just an example rather than the actual queue length.

Also, 33cm of queue line per person? You'd literally have your nose pressed against the back of the person in front's head!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Are we just going to ignore the fact that they're only expecting 90 minutes worth of queue? Or am I missing something, is that not what this document means?
Broadly speaking, planning documents like this generally refer to more of the 'long(er) term' figures, rather than just the opening day/week/season. The long term forecast will be for 90min queues, and any overspill that happens can be managed temporarily.

Whether 90mins is right or not... no idea. Probably feels about right in the longer term.

Also, 33cm of queue line per person? You'd literally have your nose pressed against the back of the person in front's head!
Yeah, that does seem rather cosy, doesn't it? I suppose it's not accounting for 'width', though.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Broadly speaking, planning documents like this generally refer to more of the 'long(er) term' figures, rather than just the opening day/week/season. The long term forecast will be for 90min queues, and any overspill that happens can be managed temporarily.

Whether 90mins is right or not... no idea. Probably feels about right in the longer term.

Yeah, that does seem rather cosy, doesn't it? I suppose it's not accounting for 'width', though.
I've got a feeling that Thorpe may well have their record years over the next 2 years... Not based on anything solid of course, just a hunch, going on my experience of 1994 and 1995 at Towers and Blackpool. Given the current economic outlook, the 'stay in the UK' attitude that usually gives folks, if this is marketed right, which I think it will be, plus the national and online media jump on the hype(ria) train, then they could be seeing queues in excess of 2-3 hours, for most peak days, over the next 2 or 3 years!

I hope I'm right, this is a big investment for them, and they deserve it. Would also have a knock on effect for other parks and their investment strategies. 👍

If that queue is only designed for 90 minutes, and I'm right, then we better get used to the idea of seeing temporary cattle pens in that plaza right now 😂

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Ah, but we need to consider how it sits in the wider context of the park, as the ride does nothing to increase the capacity of the park as a whole.

There are enough high capacity attractions in the park (especially as reliability seems to be getting better) that queues should be reasonably distributed, provided the park runs attractions at capacity (fix broken seats, run maximum trains etc) which is not an unreasonable expectation given the investments being made in ride refurbishment. 1500 people is 10% of the park's total capacity, and the ride coexists with 5 other major coasters, plus WD and FF, and all the flats for which Thorpe is reasonably provisioned, then the water rides and other miscellaneous bits.

I can't see anything higher than 90min beyond the busiest days in the opening season, this is precisely the capacity monster the park has been crying out for.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Ah, but we need to consider how it sits in the wider context of the park, as the ride does nothing to increase the capacity of the park as a whole.

There are enough high capacity attractions in the park (especially as reliability seems to be getting better) that queues should be reasonably distributed, provided the park runs attractions at capacity (fix broken seats, run maximum trains etc) which is not an unreasonable expectation given the investments being made in ride refurbishment. 1500 people is 10% of the park's total capacity, and the ride coexists with 5 other major coasters, plus WD and FF, and all the flats for which Thorpe is reasonably provisioned, then the water rides and other miscellaneous bits.

I can't see anything higher than 90min beyond the busiest days in the opening season, this is precisely the capacity monster the park has been crying out for.
We'll have to wait and see... If the app still shows queue times away from the park, I'd be willing to have a little bet with you. :) (Assuming by 'busiest days' you mean the peak Fright Nights days? If you meant summer holidays and other weekends too, then we're predicting the same thing.)

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Stealth still gets 90-120 min queues over Fright Nights, and that was built 17 years ago*.

Can see this easily hovering around 90 mins on peak days especially during opening year. Opening day will probably be a solid 2 hours throughout.

*Christ that makes me feel old.