What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It’d go a long way to make the ride more interesting if it had spinning trains, but even that won’t improve the ride’s length or lack of airtime. I will forever be salty about those issues over anything else.
Lack of airtime? I beg your pardon? Oh yeah cause the beyond vertical twisting first drop, huge drop out of the non-inverting immelmann, the giant outerbank, the outerbank after the splashdown and the airtime hill before the brakes won't have much airtime will they? Not to mention the hangtime from the dive loop stall...

Yeah I don't know on what planet this coaster will "lack airtime", especially based on the force readings I've seen so I can guarantee you that won't be an issue here and will probably be the main strength of the coaster.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It's all happening so fast now!!!! So excited to see you all again on opening day!!!

Lack of airtime? I beg your pardon? Oh yeah cause the beyond vertical twisting first drop, huge drop out of the non-inverting immelmann, the giant outerbank, the outerbank after the splashdown and the airtime hill before the brakes won't have much airtime will they? Not to mention the hangtime from the dive loop stall...

Yeah I don't know on what planet this coaster will "lack airtime" but I can guarantee you that won't be an issue here.
Don't waste your breath, some people already rode this back when it was nothing more than a twinkle in John's eyes... ;)

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Yeah I don't know on what planet this coaster will "lack airtime", especially based on the force readings I've seen so I can guarantee you that won't be an issue here and will probably be the main strength of the coaster.
How often do you hear people rave about all the airtime on TTD/KKs twisted vertical drops?

I’m not denying the airtime moments it’ll have won’t be good, but for a ride of this size it only has a few moments. Toutatis had what.. 22 different airtime moments? Hyperia will have 6.

I shall clarify here though, and say lack of “airtime moments” if that makes more sense.

Last edited:

Coloratura

Roller Poster
How often do you hear people rave about all the airtime on TTD/KKs twisted vertical drops?

I’m not denying the airtime moments it’ll have won’t be good, but for a ride of this size it only has a few moments. Toutatis had what.. 22 different airtime moments? Hyperia will have 6.
I mean, you hear most people who have ridden it, rave about the twisted drop on DC Rivals. And since this will be beyond vertical, think we are in for a world's finest!

But will obvs wait to ride before passing full judgement.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Maybe they could invest in an onboard soundtrack? It’d probably be pretty cheap as they could use a 30 second royalty free clip for the soundtrack.

The music played in the name reveal video is from IMAScore, who are making the soundtrack for the ride.

One thing which I found particularly interesting is that the audio in that video syncs pretty nicely with the ride itself. Dramatic moments at the right times, etc. Could be clever editing, or could potentially be a glimpse at on-board audio.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The music played in the name reveal video is from IMAScore, who are making the soundtrack for the ride.

One thing which I found particularly interesting is that the audio in that video syncs pretty nicely with the ride itself. Dramatic moments at the right times, etc. Could be clever editing, or could potentially be a glimpse at on-board audio.

Even if we don't get onboard audio, I think there should be at least speakers as you go up the lift.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
^Oh wow, thought for sure it would have the front-buckle belts. If only they could implement the Xtreme Spinner restraint locks on the normal launchers, would imagine this thing is gonna have some gnarly stapling action after that drop 😂

Sandman

Giga Poster

I imagine that IMAScore were provided the initial POV video as part of the brief. I wouldn't rule out onboard audio, but that would also explain why the music aligns quite nicely.

Howie

Donkey in a hat

Well, it's certainly not the best ride soundtrack I've ever heard, it's very typically IMAScore, sounds like a dozen other IMAScore scores... but it's not bad either, definitely gives off the right sorta vibe and could work rather well if it accompanies the actual ride experience. Yep, I'd defo be on board with on-board.

Matt N

CF Legend
On the airtime topic, I’m growing increasingly convinced that Hyperia might have some surprisingly incredible airtime. I’ll confess that back when it was first announced, I was among those who was a little sceptical about the layout’s airtime potential. However, the more I see of this ride and the more I look at the profiling and elements, the more I absolutely love it and am so glad to see Thorpe Park going for something so daring and unique.

It perhaps isn’t full to the brim with traditional straight camelbacks, but I reckon that most of, if not all of, the ride’s elements will provide some degree of negative g-forces that could be incredibly potent in their own right.

That first drop could be very unique, and if the vertical drop on the likes of Iron Gwazi is anything to go by, there could be some huge negatives on it, particularly towards the back of the train. Yes, the twist might nullify that to some degree and not provide quite the same sustained ejection all the way down as a ride like Gwazi does, but with how late the twist appears to happen in all of the renderings, I reckon there will still be a pretty special dose of ejector to be had there, and the 180° twist might add a really interesting additional sensation!

As for the rest of the ride:
  • I’m sensing that that Immelmann could be an awesome moment of sustained ejector airtime, what with it having a pretty steep, straight drop of nearly 160ft!
  • That huge overbank could provide some very nice sustained airtime as it pins you to the side if the one on Iron Gwazi is anything to go by, and that roll out of it could provide some epic negatives similar to those provided by the likes of the mosasaurus roll on VelociCoaster!
  • The huge dive loop looks like it could provide the same floaty fun as a zero-g stall, which should certainly offer some negatives and provide a sensation quite unlike any other in the UK!
  • The outerbanked wave turn could provide some interesting negatives, and I imagine that the final airtime hill could have some pretty strong airtime what with how fast the train will be going!
Yes, Hyperia will not be the world’s longest hyper coaster, but to me, it just looks like a layout that will deliver from start to finish, and I think that it could be something pretty special! It may not have been exactly what I was originally hoping for, but it looks pretty damn sublime nonetheless, and as time has gone on, I’ve grown increasingly glad that Thorpe Park had the balls to bring such a unique hyper coaster layout into the world and increasingly excited to see just how some of these elements ride!

I reckon it will bring something pretty unique and incredible to the UK scene, I reckon it could be one of the strongest, if not the strongest, UK coaster for airtime, and I’m genuinely just so excited to see how Hyperia rides, because the signs are currently incredibly promising, in my view! Bring on 2024, I say!

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Lack of airtime moments isn't an issue if those moments are excellent. Skyrush only has 6(?) moments but each one is exceptional.
We won't know until it's ridden. Not getting on the hype train just yet.

Like others, I still think we've been shafted for length, the apparent trims in the splashdown emphasises that opinion.
But again, pre-judging is silly, could be amazing, could be a let down, enjoy the build and judge when you've ridden it a few times.

I won't be there for opening day, got better sense than that, but once it's running I will do a midweek trip to get as many rides in as possible.

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
One thing that this ride will not have is a lack of airtime moments. The majority of the rides elements are airtime fueled. There are five airtime moments in total, which for a shorter coaster is a really exciting amount.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I keep saying this, but the key to getting excited about this project is to not think of it as a short and slightly weird hyper coaster, but as Mack's exciting new take on a B&M dive coaster (the McDive, anyone?). Think about it, vertical (ish) drop, 3 or 4 massive floaty inversions and a splashdown finale, except this one will have a better layout, more airtime, no OTSR's and no pace-killing MCBR. Not to mention longer, taller and faster than the likes of Griffon, Valravn etc...
Once I'd made that mental transition from short, weird hyper to cool new diver, the whole thing just seemed to make a lot more sense and I instantly got more excited for it.
Worked for me, anyway.

As for the name, I like it, but it's a shame Thorpe missed an opportunity to give a massive middle finger to Blackpool Pleasure Beach by calling it The BIG Mack, dissing both Icon and The Big One in one savage blow.

Mmm, Big Mac...

Edit: 20 minutes later...
20231012_112723.jpg

The power of suggestion, folks. 🙄

Last edited:

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I keep saying this, but the key to getting excited about this project is to not think of it as a short and slightly weird hyper coaster, but as Mack's exciting new take on a B&M dive coaster (the McDive, anyone?). Think about it, vertical (ish) drop, 3 or 4 massive floaty inversions and a splashdown finale, except this one will have a better layout, more airtime, no OTSR's and no pace-killing MCBR. Not to mention longer, taller and faster than the likes of Griffon, Valravn etc...
Once I'd made that mental transition from short, weird hyper to cool new diver, the whole thing just seemed to make a lot more sense and I instantly got more excited for it.
Worked for me, anyway.

As for the name, I like it, but it's a shame Thorpe missed an opportunity to give a massive middle finger to Blackpool Pleasure Beach by calling it The BIG Mack, dissing both Icon and The Big One in one savage blow.

Mmm, Big Mac...

Edit: 20 minutes later...
View attachment 27404

The power of suggestion, folks. 🙄

Yeah actually I read somewhere the name was going to be Ikarus and that made me rethink the concept abit to be more of a dive. "Flying too close to the sun" and then diving back down to earth in interesting ways. Each one of the "dives" is different.