What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Trax

Hyper Poster
I might have overlooked if it was already posted, but the Trimms in the Splashdown are now finally confirmed:

1696591563805.png
Source:

Yes, if you were trying to recreate the layout you knew this from the beginning, but the trimms were not a part of the original rendering.

Also not a fan of the name.

spicy

Giga Poster
I might have overlooked if it was already posted, but the Trimms in the Splashdown are now finally confirmed:

View attachment 27199
Source:

Yes, if you were trying to recreate the layout you knew this from the beginning, but the trimms were not a part of the original rendering.

Also not a fan of the name.

I noticed those trims on the new video too.

Shame they couldn’t trim the speed using the water like Sheikra does but I guess it’s impossible you will be going way too fast.

We will have to make do with a fake water splash which will look good for the first year then sporadically work on and off.

Climb

Mega Poster
I'm a certified Thorpe hater but they have sold me on this little teaser. Love the gold and white colour scheme, love the soundtrack and love the tone and style they've gone with to present it the attraction itself . The name isn't my favourite, I'll admit, and Icarus would've been preferential but it still has the Greek mythology tie-ins and from what it *appears* there seems to be a backstory to come. I am feeling cautiously optimistic...

Trax

Hyper Poster
Shame they couldn’t trim the speed using the water like Sheikra does but I guess it’s impossible you will be going way too fast.
B&M has patended the scoops on their trains, so Mack would have had to come up (did I get the grammar right?) with a different solution to brake the train while also creating some sort of splash. However, the splash on B&Ms is significant, I don't know if such a big splash would even be viable. And smaller splashes tend to brake less, and judging from the onride, the train needs to bleed a lot of speed.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I imagine there would be certain difficulties with a train splash in lake water.

Anyways, now that Hyperia how finally been announced...

I like it, it's cool. Is it the best name ever? No. Would I have preferred Icarus? Sure. But it sounds cool, rolls off the tongue and is punchy enough. Sure it sounds similar to Hyperion (which was named after a moon of Saturn), but heyho, 90% of people won't know or care. And loads of names are met with resistance at first...in a year, most people don't mind. A couple of years, and no one cares.

The style is fab. The music is fab. The 'find your fearless' seems to be a spin on phrases like 'find your happy', which I'm fine with. Marketing a 236ft tall, inverting coaster with lap bars with an upbeat theme to the UK market is no easy task. This seems like the best way forward.

In short, happy with this. And VERY excited.

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
I imagine there would be certain difficulties with a train splash in lake water.

Anyways, now that Hyperia how finally been announced...

I like it, it's cool. Is it the best name ever? No. Would I have preferred Icarus? Sure. But it sounds cool, rolls off the tongue and is punchy enough. Sure it sounds similar to Hyperion (which was named after a moon of Saturn), but heyho, 90% of people won't know or care. And loads of names are met with resistance at first...in a year, most people don't mind. A couple of years, and no one cares.

The style is fab. The music is fab. The 'find your fearless' seems to be a spin on phrases like 'find your happy', which I'm fine with. Marketing a 236ft tall, inverting coaster with lap bars with an upbeat theme to the UK market is no easy task. This seems like the best way forward.

In short, happy with this. And VERY excited.
My thoughts exactly!

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I noticed those trims on the new video too.

We will have to make do with a fake water splash which will look good for the first year then sporadically work on and off.

In Thorpe's defence, they seem to be getting stuff working again.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Tell you what though, I'm gonna be looking out for some organised or club trips with an ERT session on this thing. You just know that queue times during normal operating hours are gonna be monstrous for quite some time. Are there any predictions on potential capacity yet?
Hopefully it should be fairly reliable - no launches, no switch tracks or fancy turntables to worry about, just a straightforward lift hill and drop - and I'm not suggesting that Thorpe's operations will be dire, I just think it's going to be popular! There's definitely a buzz for this thing that simply wasn't there for The Swarm, or The Smiler, or Wicker Man, or Icon or... well anything really, not for a couple of decades anyway.

Matt N

CF Legend
Tell you what though, I'm gonna be looking out for some organised or club trips with an ERT session on this thing. You just know that queue times during normal operating hours are gonna be monstrous for quite some time. Are there any predictions on potential capacity yet?
Hopefully it should be fairly reliable - no launches, no switch tracks or fancy turntables to worry about, just a straightforward lift hill and drop - and I'm not suggesting that Thorpe's operations will be dire, I just think it's going to be popular! There's definitely a buzz for this thing that simply wasn't there for The Swarm, or The Smiler, or Wicker Man, or Icon or... well anything really, not for a couple of decades anyway.
The park themselves stated that the target throughput was “around 1,000 riders per hour” during the consultation stage. I don’t know how many trains it will run, though; if it only runs 2, then 1,000 might be a more optimistic figure, whereas if it runs 3, I think it could exceed 1,000 with considerable ease.

In terms of the “buzz”; where are you getting this from, out of interest? I don’t deny that it’s a phenomenally exciting investment for us enthusiasts, but I’m yet to see any sign that that’s necessarily rubbed off on the wider populace to a significantly greater degree than with past coaster investments. And even in enthusiast circles, I’d argue that the buzz for something like Icon was just as palpable, if not more so, than the current enthusiast buzz for Hyperia. Icon may not be the highest rated ride now, but during construction, it was phenomenally hyped up by most enthusiasts (myself included), and I remember lots of talk about it being “the world-class coaster that will make the whole world jealous” and such. There is still a lot of time for the ride to generate buzz, of course, but at the moment, I’m not personally seeing an obscene amount of hype for Hyperia outside of enthusiast circles.

If they market Hyperia well in the coming months, though (and I imagine that they will given this is Merlin we’re talking about), I absolutely agree that it could be very popular; this country loves a good record breaker!

Flash Shift

Mega Poster
I like the name and the overall vibe. The music is excellent and the layout seems like it'll be great, if a bit short.

I wish more coasters went for this type of vibe rather than the edgy or horror vibes a lot of rides go for. Of all things, Helix at Liseberg has a similar "epic" feel without getting too edgy despite the music being very different. I guess it's because they're both from Mack.

Also I'm excited to finally have a hopefully good hyper in this country!

Trax

Hyper Poster
Judging from the videos, it takes about 45 seconds to clear the distance between lifthill and the potential holding brake. Giving it an extra 15 seconds to clear the brake again, it could hit 1,200 pph (60x20), maybe even higher.

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
Judging from the videos, it takes about 45 seconds to clear the distance between lifthill and the potential holding brake. Giving it an extra 15 seconds to clear the brake again, it could hit 1,200 pph (60x20), maybe even higher.
Is that based on two trains with ten rows?

Matt N

CF Legend
The problem is, though, that that assumes that there is always a train in the station, which will only be the case if they run 3 trains on it. If they dispatch train 2 after 60 seconds and there are only 2 trains, then there will always be a gap between train 2 leaving the station and train 1 re-entering the station, which will lower the throughput overall.

If it only has 2, then I reckon 1,000pph or a bit over is probably the most they could possibly manage. I reckon it could be one of the highest throughput coasters at Thorpe, as those Mack trains are very tactile and conducive to speedy restraint checks, but I don’t think the throughput will hugely exceed 1,000pph unless they run a 3rd train on it (which is possible given that Wicker Man has 3).

catsounds

Mega Poster
The problem is, though, that that assumes that there is always a train in the station, which will only be the case if they run 3 trains on it. If they dispatch train 2 after 60 seconds and there are only 2 trains, then there will always be a gap between train 2 leaving the station and train 1 re-entering the station, which will lower the throughput overall.

If it only has 2, then I reckon 1,000pph or a bit over is probably the most they could possibly manage. I reckon it could be one of the highest throughput coasters at Thorpe, as those Mack trains are very tactile and conducive to speedy restraint checks, but I don’t think the throughput will hugely exceed 1,000pph unless they run a 3rd train on it (which is possible given that Wicker Man has 3).
I was hoping it'd have 3 trains and maybe a variable speed lift hill like Swarm's so there's always one in the station, one on the lift/layout and one on the brakes but (i know it's a simulation) it continues into the break run in the video at quite a speed so it looks like there's only one block brake before the station which would mean only 2 trains.

I guess the size of the maintenance bay looks to only fit one train aswell

Matt N

CF Legend
I was hoping it'd have 3 trains and maybe a variable speed lift hill like Swarm's so there's always one in the station, one on the lift/layout and one on the brakes but (i know it's a simulation) it continues into the break run in the video at quite a speed so it looks like there's only one block brake before the station which would mean only 2 trains.

I guess the size of the maintenance bay looks to only fit one train aswell
My only thought was that the brake run might be long enough that they could split it into multiple blocks and run 3 trains. I’ve known coasters do that before.

However, if the maintenance shed is only big enough for 2, then I imagine we’re probably seeing 2 here. I haven’t looked at the maintenance shed in the documents, though, so I wouldn’t like to confirm whether it hints towards 2 or 3 train operation.

DC Rivals has a very fast lift hill, so I wouldn't be surprised if Hyperia also has a faster-than-average lift hill, which could make the 2-train throughput higher than we expect…