What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
Every time I see POV recreations of this I wish it had a couple more airtime hills at the end. Would it really have cost so much more?
Yes, you aren't the only one thinking like this. It will be the tallest coaster in the UK, but it will sadly also be one of the shortest rides.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Yes, you aren't the only one thinking like this. It will be the tallest coaster in the UK, but it will sadly also be one of the shortest rides.
I look at DC Rivals and look at this and just think what a missed opportunity that probably comes once in a generation in the UK.

Could have got a decent hyper and really we got a dive machine with a twisted drop.

But hey ho flights are cheap and Hyperion/Shambalalalalala are cheap hops away.

An interesting look over the site. A lot of the concrete footers seem to be done/close to being done.

Archie

Mega Poster
It will be short but also hopefully one of the best, some of the best coasters are on the shorter side, Nemesis, Baron 1898 and Stealth. Personally I don't think the ride duration will take away from the experience because the rest of the layout looks so strong.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
It will be short but also hopefully one of the best, some of the best coasters are on the shorter side, Nemesis, Baron 1898 and Stealth. Personally I don't think the ride duration will take away from the experience because the rest of the layout looks so strong.

I wish I felt the same way. Stealth is great but it's only good because it's in the UK and there's nothing similar. It pales in comparison to almost every other big hydraulic launch coaster. Oblivion is good but again it pales in comparison to many of the other dive machines (Several of which are actually a similar length if not longer than Exodus) Oblivion at least as the excuse of being a prototype and it sits in a park with insane restrictions.

Nemesis bucks the trend for sure. It's short and brilliant, but I do wonder if it would be so brilliant without the landscaping and themeing.

Both of which are elements Exodus will lack and yet I do think exodus will be great. but mostly it will only be great because it's in the UK and its unique within this small isle of ours,

I honestly don't see exodus holding a candle to any of my favourite big tall rides around Europe. Having just ridden Kondaa a few weeks ago, a ride that's brilliance is in part due to its length and relentless pacing of elements. I can't see a world in which this bite size taster of a hyper will come close.

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
Yes Nemesis and Stealth are some of the best in Europe, but those are different kind of coasters then Exodus.
You have to compare Exodus with Shambhala, Hyperion, Big One, Silver Star, Expedition GeForce and even Kondaa and Goliath can be included. But those last three are less tall and a bit shorter as the other coasters. And Exodus will even be shorter, with a length of just 1000meter.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
As I've said in the past, I think the short length is a conscious decision for the ride experience. The ride is likely going to be intense, fast-paced and hard-hitting. A short layout with that experience leaves people wanting more, but not feeling short changed. A longer layout, but still with that type of experience, risks fatiguing riders, or creating something where people can't wait to get off.

On paper I'd have loved a longer layout, even if it was just a couple of airtime hills to round off the ride. But I see the logic in what they've gone for. It's a conservative design choice, since there's nothing in the UK market to compare it to, it's hard to know how the majority of people would respond to a long intense airtime machine. But it'll still work out for them.

Even then, it is still a risk, as once again we're getting a shorter coaster. And whilst this will be the longest coaster on park in terms of track length, it's still going to have a relatively quick ride time.

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
As I've said in the past, I think the short length is a conscious decision for the ride experience. The ride is likely going to be intense, fast-paced and hard-hitting. A short layout with that experience leaves people wanting more, but not feeling short changed. A longer layout, but still with that type of experience, risks fatiguing riders, or creating something where people can't wait to get off.
So you want to keep al the general public out of that ride and only want to have it for the die-hard rollercoaster addicts?
I already see the greyouts and blackouts coming.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
So you want to keep al the general public out of that ride and only want to have it for the die-hard rollercoaster addicts?
I already see the greyouts and blackouts coming.

No?

But there's a risk of creating a ride which is 'too intense' for the Thorpe audience. One where people won't want to reride it. And we're already talking about a huge coaster with lapbars, inversions and the like. Plenty of people will be fine with that, but if you add more into the mix, it risks alienating some people.

This coaster needs to a be surefire success for the park. If they do that by creating a slightly shorter coaster, I'm alright with that.

Niles

Giga Poster
Skyrush does a bit more than Exodus and I know the restraints are a big factor but that ride never had more than a 5min wait when I went, most people that were waiting or once the ride was over just found it to much. Not just the restraints but the force of the ride, the drop, the lack of over the shoulder restraints, people could not wait to get off and this is in America full of much bigger coasters.

In the UK there is nothing close to Exodus, most people in the south have not been upside down without an OTSR, I know the restraints will be 100% better than Skyrush but they are very open and the forces you will get I think could be to much for some people. Thorpe have made something nuts and they don't want a Skyrush, so while it sucks there is not 2 or 3 more elements I think the length makes sense.

This is also Merlin who for their "big" coasters mostly go for safe mid sized B&Ms, this is a big step for them. They wanted the height record and have gone with something unique with elements that stand out while (hopefully) not overwhelming the guests, its a hard balance but I think they hit the sweet spot, I hope it works for them.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Like almost everyone here, I yearn for just a couple more elements on this. Doesn't even have to be loads - we definitely don't want a coaster that starts to drag at the end, especially after such an epic start - just a nice big, straight line airtime hill or 2 where that splashdown is gonna be, cool turnaround and then a bunny hop finale, perhaps with a splashdown effect right at the end before the brake run. Y'know, just enough to nudge the track length up towards the 4000ft mark. For me at least, I think would have been just enough to make Exodus truly world class material.

But that's just me. I'm a goon, and so are you. We live for this sh*t.
I think the majority of the general public are gonna be floored by this coaster. It may only have 4 or 5 elements to it, but it's definitely not a 'short' coaster. I know track length hasn't been confirmed yet, but we're looking at somewhere in the region of 3300ft or 1000m, yes?
That's not small, folks!
By far the longest coaster in the park. It might be quite small for a 'hyper coaster' as we know it, but if you compare it to, say, a dive coaster, it's fooking massive! At 236ft tall and 3300ft long, it's gonna be bigger than the likes of SheikRa and Griffon. They only have 4 or 5 elements to them and everyone knows that those rides are massive crowd pleasers.
And another thing, if those 4 or 5 elements hit, and I mean hit hard, which by the look of things I think they are more than capable of doing, it'll be a considerably better ride than SheikRa and Griffon too.

What I'm saying basically is that, yes, I wanted something longer... but I'm over it.

Matt N

CF Legend
It’s an interesting one.

Personally, the length doesn’t overly matter to me. The elements look like they’ll deliver, and surely it’s better to have a short ride that delivers consistently than a long ride with length for the sake of length? For instance, The Big One is the longest operating coaster in Europe, but is perceived by many as doing very little with its length. Would you prefer a ride like that to what we’re getting?

I have to say that I do think the ride looks to have a brilliant layout. The drop looks like it could be phenomenal, and I’m also very excited to see how the outerbank into an inversion rides, as well as the Immelmann! To be honest, all of the elements look like they’ll deliver! I do wish that the ride had a few straight airtime moments of some description, as it does seem to lack those and I feel that a few straight airtime moments would have set Exodus apart from other UK coasters even more than its current layout does, but that’s a niggle rather than an absolute deal breaker for me.

I think Exodus is a coaster that could really surprise some people. Excitement for it seems a bit mixed at present, but it does seem as though some are dismissing it based purely on the length, and I do think that that might be a bit premature. Plenty of shorter coasters really deliver and are incredibly revered, and Exodus could well be a ride that relies on its shorter length to deliver the desired type of ride experience that the park wants.

To me, the ride’s elements look awesome, and I think that that should be enough to carry it a certain distance even if the ride isn’t the longest in the world. I wouldn’t even say it’s that short; all of the renderings peg it at a decent 40 seconds or so from lift hill to brakes, which isn’t bad, in my view!

Last edited:

Sandman

Giga Poster
I think the UK public are rather used to many of the bigger attractions being of a shorter length (Stealth, Oblivion etc). This is of course, a bit more substantial than the aforementioned 2, so I'm not sure whether the average joe will even pick up on the length to be honest.

I think people only consider the length of a ride in the context of how long they've had to wait for it. I hear it all the time.

"I waited 2 hours for that and it was over in 30 seconds" or words to that effect.

At the same time, if this delivers in the thrill department then people won't really be focusing on that aspect as they walk the exit ramp. Hopefully we'll be hearing people having an adrenaline dump, discussing their favourite bits etc.

On a personal level, now that I've sort of accepted the length, my curiosity is firmly on how Mack deliver when it comes to a big old hyper like this. I've not yet been on a Mack hyper myself, but I've heard a myriad of varying opinions.

My only hope is that the infamous Mack rattle does not infiltrate the ride experience so early into its infancy. I also hope for a reasonably interesting ride area/environment. I don't expect full fledged theming, but some effort never goes amiss. No basic bitch glass/corrugated metal monstrosity please.

Matt N

CF Legend
I think the UK public are rather used to many of the bigger attractions being of a shorter length (Stealth, Oblivion etc). This is of course, a bit more substantial than the aforementioned 2, so I'm not sure whether the average joe will even pick up on the length to be honest.

I think people only consider the length of a ride in the context of how long they've had to wait for it. I hear it all the time.

"I waited 2 hours for that and it was over in 30 seconds" or words to that effect.

At the same time, if this delivers in the thrill department then people won't really be focusing on that aspect as they walk the exit ramp. Hopefully we'll be hearing people having an adrenaline dump, discussing their favourite bits etc.
I agree with this. I do think that enthusiasts care a lot more about ride length than the average visitor, and as Exodus isn’t a one-trick pony like Stealth or Oblivion, I’m not even sure whether people will pick up on the length. Exodus will likely be no shorter in terms of ride duration than many of the other coasters at Thorpe Park, and those are plenty popular enough.

Yes, you do get the “I can’t believe I waited 2 hours for a 30 second ride!” crowd, but I don’t think those people would have their views changed if the ride lasted, say, a minute rather than 40 seconds. Unless the ride lasted an unfeasibly long amount of time (like, say, 10 minutes or something), I think these people would still hold the same view regardless of whether the ride duration was 40 seconds or 1 minute and 10 seconds.

I think people will care far more about whether the ride delivers good thrills within its ride duration. If you look at UK rides that have flopped in the past upon initially launching, the amount of thrill offered seems to be far more important than the ride length. Thirteen was criticised upon launch because it was perceived to be too tame rather than because it was too short. The Swarm was criticised upon launch because it was perceived to be too tame rather than because it was too short. If Exodus delivers the thrills within the ride duration it has, then I think that it will be a very popular and well liked ride among the British public.

FogZog

Mega Poster
Even a small change like that last drawn out airtime hill into the brakes being two sharp pops like RTH… would make me much more excited

Melons

Roller Poster
Can't really make any reasonable complaint personally, this looks like it'll be the best ride in the country. Looks like its gonna kick ass and finally gives me a reason to go back to Thorpe Park.