What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

Ian said:
I don't get the whole creepy doll thing.

http://n.mynews.ly/!QB.DK9KQ

Well, I get the connection of the theme but I can't see how it creates attention. Unless they had large Thorpe logos on their backs?
That's exactly what I thought, as soon as I saw them I thought how will anyone know this has anything to do with Thorpe Park, unless they do have big logos on their backs.

Alex23

Roller Poster

When The Smiler marketing started the logo was broadcast everywhere without any reference to Alton Towers or the ride. In the new year I can see them linking the dolls up more with the ride so people make the connection.

Lofty

CF Legend

Alex23 is correct. With this type of marketing, you don't need to be so obvious. Actually broadcasting a logo as part of it would bring the horror and misery element down and rather 'obvious'. Sometimes keeping the secrecy of a project truly works.

As an example, look at the 'viral' type of advertisements that showcase the new shows on Channel 4, they don't tell you what the project is, just a hashtag if anything and it works perfectly for them. As human beings, we love the unknown and find it mesmerising.

Howie

Donkey in a hat

elephant58 said:
Could I also be right to assume that the image of 5 people standing ina row could be the ride's logo?

Is it 5 people standing in a row, or is it a section of railway track?
This latest teaser does appear to confirm the rumours that we will indeed be going on some sort of train journey (the clip of the subway train, the language being used in the promotion - 'get on board', 'derail the mind' etc..) but I'm still clueless as to the significance of the dolls.

You gotta admit though, that teaser is pretty creepy...

Lofty

CF Legend

^ It's been said since the beginning that it'll have a train theme, just from observant people noticing the brand language and the iconography of the track/people icon that you see in every email, on the website etc.

Ben

CF Legend

The advertising in that style isn't really aimed at being that effective 'in person' - you're not aiming at the people actually on the Tube seeing the dolls.

You're aiming at the people that then see the videos of creepy dolls on Facebook and in the media where it is largely pushed that it's for Thorpe's new ride.

They've got in newspapers and across social media for the price of what, a few costumes and a couple of travelcards - brilliant IMO.

Lofty

CF Legend

Yeah, it's not actually 'advertising', it's more a generation of publicity, which are two very different things.

pitchnoir

Mega Poster

Could this be a rendering of the internals for some of the new ride?
its a link to an image on FB the page page is for a company called Scruffy dog design, who have designed and built a number of aesthetics for a number of the parks, eg new Madagascar stuff for the chessi hotel etc

https://www.facebook.com/scruffydogltd/ ... =3&theater

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^Looks like a nice gift shop, if anything. The spire thing might be some theming, or a really well-themed shelf.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

I'm 99% certain that this isn't for WC16 and is just for some random shop.

However, Scruffy Dog have confirmed they are working on WC16 (which is good to hear; they've been responsible for a lot of theming at Thorpe recently, from all the scare mazes for the past couple of years, I'm a Celeb and the Shark stuff around and in the Dome :) ).

Lofty

CF Legend

Scruffy Dog - no comment...

They are involved in the ride though. Would love to see the overly priced figures they're charing.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

pitchnoir said:
Could this be a rendering of the internals for some of the new ride?
its a link to an image on FB the page page is for a company called Scruffy dog design, who have designed and built a number of aesthetics for a number of the parks, eg new Madagascar stuff for the chessi hotel etc

https://www.facebook.com/scruffydogltd/ ... =3&theater
The right one looks like a library. This year at Thorpe Park, dare you face the challenge of the Dewey Decimal System?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

In a previous post, they posted this: https://www.facebook.com/scruffydogltd/ ... 86/?type=3

Like Robbie said, it looks more like a library and is probably related to that "school" project in the link I posted. But who knows? *makes spooky wooooo sound*

Ben

CF Legend

JoshC. said:
I'm 99% certain that this isn't for WC16 and is just for some random shop.

However, Scruffy Dog have confirmed they are working on WC16 (which is good to hear; they've been responsible for a lot of theming at Thorpe recently, from all the scare mazes for the past couple of years, I'm a Celeb and the Shark stuff around and in the Dome :) ).

Literally all those things listed are ****.

The scare attractions this last year being particularly abysmal.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Yeah this news doesn't excite me at all, The Big Flop, which was, I believe the only scare attraction they did at Thorpe this year, last year was just disappointing. Let's hope they are better this time round!

Lofty

CF Legend

I think a lot of people forget, there a theming company, they're not a theatrical company a much as they like to think they are. Their scenic work is usually to a very good standard too, well, it can be.

Lofty

CF Legend

I think a lot of people forget, there a theming company, they're not a theatrical company as much as they like to think they are. Their scenic work is usually to a very good standard too, well, it can be.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Scruffy Dog have been involved with all the Lionsgate mazes (except BWP since it has no theming), as well as Studio 13, Big Top and Containment. Big Top is not one of their best, but I think the other mazes are well themed for the most part, and do have some nice set pieces. It's just a shame that in many cases, you don't get the time to actually appreciate it.

I was under the impression that they were of a reasonable price for the level of work they produce, so it's interesting to hear someone with industry experience mention about overly priced figures.

Lofty

CF Legend

They're expensive for what they do, there's other UK companies who do a superior job for the same price, or even lower.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Something worth noting, we may have a potential reveal date coming up very soon. All speculation, but Derren Brown posted that his new TV show is being aired on the 12th of January. Seems like a perfect opportunity to start putting out some adverts for the ride. Also keep in mind this is the exact same date as the Alton Towers reveal.

Anyone else think this could be a possible release date of more info?

Tues 12th Jan my new TV show is on Channel 4. It's a very dark, very funny experiment about the extreme limits of social compliance. I like it.