Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Wow

**** me!

That art work is bloody amazing.

I love the name Demon Of Dark Forest. If it is the full name it will be shortened to Demon in the same way Rita Queen Of Speed is, or if it is the tagline for the ride, it is still just as good (Name here):Demon Of Dark Forest. Great name.

Proves Ug Land will be gone and the area will become Dark Forest. Also proves Dark Forest will be the actual name of the area. Great news. Looks like Alton have got their mojo back!

Neil, I don't neccasarily think it will be warewolf themed, but it will certainly have some kind of tranformation involved, the 'Surrender' tagline suggests that the transformation is trying to force it's way to control you, as if it was inside and trying to take over. I like that idea, the blast through the woods could symbolise the fight between you and whatever is trying to take over. It will probably be a warewolf, like you said, or maybe a vampire. but could be something else, not to sure what though, so I think one of the two I mentioned. Although my money is not going on anything at this point.

Is this day important with regards to Corkscrew at all? Construction began on the day it was announced to be closing, and this ride was revealed on Corkscrew's last day.

CMonster

Giga Poster
furie said:
I think maybe Demon based to be honest Neal :p

It may just be the font, but the O is underlined all the way through.

That's a Hebrew vowel Patach. This ties in with my gut feeling that they're going old testament on us and giving us a good old Jewish Demon (like Abaddon) :)

Will scare the willies off anyone religious :)

I agree with that, a real demon's name would be better than just "Demon." If they pull the theming off well, this could turn out to be anything but a children's ride.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
The building has some reseblance to the towers, and the opp cabin is in an oval room, tieing in with Hex. Probably involve the witch and/or the curse.

Could be about demons. Makes sense. Maybe it is a demon taking over or trying to kill you and you are fighting it or escaping it or something.

marc

CF Legend
I assume that eye is going to play a big part, I would think that is what you are heading to when it drops or does what ever it does.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Changed my mind a bit and think Surrender could be the name. Alton themselves have the poster named 'Surrender 2010'. That suggests most of all that that is the name, as does the fact it is there, sepearte and larger than the rest of the text. I'd rather Demon but surrender is still good, especialy if they use the name as the name of a Demon. That would be excelent. But using Demon would be better. Sits better with the other intimidating (theme and name-wise) rides. So in a few years, Demon/Surrender will forever be associated with the ride, in the same way the words Nemesis and Oblivion are associated with the ride. Nemesis, Oblivion, Demon/Surrender. Great names.

Ben

CF Legend
Am I the only one that thinks it looks really, really tacky? :S

If it was called either Surrender or Demon, I think I'd kill myself.

"Surrender"? That's terrible.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I don't think it is THE best name they could have picked, but if it is, and they make it work right, I thnk it is potentially a great name. Certainly better name than Rita: Queen Of Speed at any rate.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
It does look like something a fanboy would produce on photoshop, if I am being totally honest.

The names are quite boring, I hope Alton can do better than what I am seeing in terms of marketing.

Ben

CF Legend
Rita makes sense though.

This is just a random verb that's sort of related... If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a Cedar Fair park.

... of course it's probably not the name anyway.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Rita only makes sence because they decided to 'theme' it as a female racing driver.

It actualy stands for Alton Towers Intamin Rocket backwards. They noticed this and used it as the ride name.

Agree that if they don't theme the ride and give the name a propper meaning, it will be quite Cedar Fair, but before Nemesis and Oblivion came along you could say that about them because they are just words.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Oblivion & Nemesis are perfect for both the ride's story and theme.

Not to be rude to Alton if they have gone with Surrender, but it sounds like something made by a kid on RCT3.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Blaze said:
Rita only makes sence because they decided to 'theme' it as a female racing driver.

It actualy stands for Alton Towers Intamin Rocket backwards.

I suppose you are one of the people who beleive 'Air' is Aerial Inversion Ride? :roll:

Ben

CF Legend
Blaze said:

It actualy stands for Alton Towers Intamin Rocket backwards. They noticed this and used it as the ride name.

No. Fanboys looked at it and went "OMFG, it's Alton Towers Intamin Rocket backwards, that's the reason behind it!" That COULD be the reason why Alton picked Rita as opposed to any other female name (although, it's generally agreed that it's more linked to the fact drivers give cars female names, then a female racing driver), but it's NOT the whole reason, or in anyway confirmed.

Agree that if they don't theme the ride and give the name a propper meaning, it will be quite Cedar Fair, but before Nemesis and Oblivion came along you could say that about them because they are just words.

Yes, they are all "just words", but, think of the different TYPES of words there are. Nouns, verbs, adjectives... I could name, and theme, a ride to the word "Yellow". It'd be retarded, but, by your logic because it's themed to "yellow" (I paint it yellow and play Coldplay in the queue), that makes it less dumb?

Think how many coaster names there are that are verbs. Go on. Think.

marc

CF Legend
Surrender is to much like Submission.

But in a way it seems like they are doing what Thorpe done with Saw and this is getting a family coaster and try and do what a more expensive model can do but better. Again my view on it.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
Blaze said:

No. Fanboys looked at it and went "OMFG, it's Alton Towers Intamin Rocket backwards, that's the reason behind it!" That COULD be the reason why Alton picked Rita as opposed to any other female name (although, it's generally agreed that it's more linked to the fact drivers give cars female names, then a female racing driver), but it's NOT the whole reason, or in anyway confirmed.

Yes, they are all "just words", but, think of the different TYPES of words there are. Nouns, verbs, adjectives... I could name, and theme, a ride to the word "Yellow". It'd be retarded, but, by your logic because it's themed to "yellow" (I paint it yellow and play Coldplay in the queue), that makes it less dumb?

Think how many coaster names there are that are verbs. Go on. Think.

Sorry, I thought it might. It does make sense, especialy seeing it was built in the period when they didn't care.

The Yellow thing is daft. Theming this to a demon or something trying to make you surrender will work because they are more powerfull words.

And Arly, didn't Wardley say air was thought of as Arial Inversion Ride, then the name stuck because it fitted? I don't think he did, but I'm sure I've read it somewhere.

CMonster

Giga Poster
^ But when naming a roller coaster, you should only use nouns. Imagine naming your kid "walk" or "sit" or "big", ect. It's the same thing as it's a name.

It would fit if it had surrender somewhere in the slogan or catch phrase or whatever for it, but not as the name. You can name your kid Bob and say that he's big, but you can't name him "big."

Status
Not open for further replies.