What's new

The Ultimate to be extended to make it world's longest?

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I never said it would, but thats all down to Lightwater's determination. They must strongly believe that a record breaker is going to change their attendance figures, which I very much doubt. I would accordingly say Lightwater is a family orientated park, so Lightwater would not be reaching their target market if they just stuffed some extra baggage onto what is already a notoriously long ride.

jayjay

Giga Poster
So they might redo some of the existing track? Does anybody else have the word "tame" running through their head now?

I agree that they should really be spending money on a decent new attraction. Without t'Ultimate and Eagle's Claw, the park is virtually nothing.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
I can confirm that Lightwater Valley will indeed be giving substantial work to The Ultimate within the next 5 years - could be a lot sooner though.

For the person who asked for new trains, you'll be getting them.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I actually like the idea to extend The Ultimate. Call me kooky, I know.

The reality is that right now, steel is pretty expensive, so it's unlikely that anyone will be building such a long / large ride anywhere in the world, especially not all at once, any time soon.

Theoretically, SD2K could be extended in a similar fashion to retake the record, but I don't see that happening, considering all the troubles they've already had.

In any case, this possible extension, while seemingly unadvisable, is probably a far cheaper option than building an entirely new attraction.

It will be all up to the marketing to pull this off, IMHO.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Despite it being such a gamble as has been said, I'm very excited about seeing what comes of this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but new trains could make a world of difference to the ride, something with wheels under the track should also increase the speed as the upstop plates at the moment are slowing it down as they rub on the track during the moments of airtime. I think smoothness needs to be sorted first though otherwise riders will be coming back dead!

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Ollie said:
I reckon instead of a third lifthill they should put a launch in. :D

Ahahaha, make it the world's longest coaster AND the world's fastest launching, 0-150mph? :lol: