What's new

The Ultimate to be extended to make it world's longest?

Emmett

Giga Poster
I just spotted this on Screamscape which is an interview conducted between management at LWV and Valley Mania and it suggests that The Ultimate may be extended to make it the worlds's longest roller coaster yet again.

Is LWV still planning on giving The Ultimate renovation work in the near future?

Yes.

Would you ever consider extending The Ultimate to make it the world’s longest rollercoaster yet again?

Yes we are considering this, it would be useful to get some feedback on what riders might like to see and experience.

http://www.valleymania.co.uk/interview2.php

Ollie

CF Legend
It better be bloody open for the Live. Hopefully I'll get to ride it before they upgrade it and then again after.

I really could not see the purpose of this, I mean, why make it longer when it already looks ridiculously long as it is? I highly doubt an extension of it would really draw in too many crowds..

STC

Mega Poster
I sent this one in, even though it's clearly Lightwater trolling us into giving them more publicity on here. :p

Extending The Ultimate seems a little irresponsible for a park with such obvious financial problems. I do think though that if they did get the record they could do advertising clever enough to make people think it was new and the "world's longest" record is still rather impressive. Something like "New for 2011, the world's longest rollercoaster is at Lightwater" - all technically true! They just need to hope that whatever year they do it theres not much else to compete against since on marketing terms Merlin can destroy them.

Lightwater need a decent second coaster instead of spending their money on this. Something like an El Loco, an X-Car or a travelling Eurofighter would do well there. Anyone know if LV have any height limits?

Building the original ride nearly ruined them, don't mess with the thing anymore. A fantastic ride as it is, it barely even makes it back to the station, I would imagine a third lifthill would ruin the weird, screwed up charm that ride has.

shawnoc

Mega Poster
Could they not add helixes and aitime hills between the first drop and second lift hill. I hope the ride will not lose its charm if the do go ahead with this.

marc

CF Legend
Maybe they can also make the lift hills faster.

I was not over impressed with the coaster anyway, it just done nothing for me tbh. Guess I am one of the only people here that was not overly impressed.

The coaster after the 2nd lift hill was good but before the 2nd lift hill it just does nothing.

A

Anonymous

^ Yes.

Yeah i have to agree that the first section of the Ultimate is pritty dull. Aparently, valleymania have been tipped by a source that the park plans a third lifthill. Also its begining construction this closed season.

Which i highly doubt, as the park are buying thier own river rafting ride and are likely buying a replacement for the hornets nest.

STC

Mega Poster
shawnoc said:
Could they not add helixes and aitime hills between the first drop and second lift hill. I hope the ride will not lose its charm if the do go ahead with this.
The ride goes incredibly slow by the time it gets to the second lifthill as it is. If it was going at any sort of speed then these would be lethal. ;)

normal_45.jpg

shawnoc

Mega Poster
What I was thinking was to have an airtime hill after the first drop then a couple of helixes. Im not overly sure how much longer they would have to extend the ride to surpass the current record holder. I remeber those small hills, even when I was 11 I was thinking what was that all about??

Emmett

Giga Poster
They need to add another 691 ft to get the record back from Steel Dragon 2000 but even after all that work some other park may just open an even longer one which would turn out then a waste of time and money for Lightwater.

They could easily do something after the first lift hill but I don't think they should touch the second part as it seems perfect enough to me apart from some bumpy bits of track.

It would be funny if they did get the record back and then Yorkshire would hold 2 world records, one for The Ultimate and one for Mumbo Jumbo closeby.

A

Anonymous

^Well this extension of the ultimate is also intended to be a improvement of the existing track. Such as banking and redesign of the current track.

It is abit of a risk, but i think it'd be worth it. I doubt many parks would be willing to build a ride thats about 2miles long.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
I was not over impressed with the coaster anyway, it just done nothing for me tbh. Guess I am one of the only people here that was not overly impressed.

Make that two of us.

It could be better if some banking on the corners and better trains.

Maybe if the ride wasn't made out of scaffolding too it would help? :p

I can't see them going to the effort? They'd have to add another lift hill, it stalls before getting back the station at times already doesn't it?

A

Anonymous

Well the 3rd lift is rumored to be just after the tunnels, this is where the train stalls most coming back to the station. Aparently utilising the old soopa loopa site.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
This rumour is quite strong at the moment.
From what I have been told many a time is that the final turn into the station will head to the opposite direction up to a 3rd lift hill.

The ride would then run it's course over the empty grass that lay across past 'The Wave' pirate ship, down towards the entrance then back up.
They aim to get the ride to a length of 2 and a half miles.

In my opinion, the park are taking a massive risk, the money could be spent a lot better round the park, rather than extend what is one of the World's longest rollercoasters.

A

Anonymous

^It's not a rumor that the ultimate is to be extended. It's been confirmed by the management and is in the parks most recent 5year plan. Although what is a rumor is a third lift hill and to what extent the extension is going to be.

I personally belive that the park will only extend the ride the 700 or so feet needed to regain the record.

The ride would then run it's course over the empty grass that lay across past 'The Wave' pirate ship, down towards the entrance then back up.
They aim to get the ride to a length of 2 and a half miles.

That area of land is destained for use of a holiday village if and when the park get permisson. Therefore making this extremely unlikely.

But yeah, it is also my personal belief that the money could be spent much better on a new rollercoaster.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Your telling me that they are planning to have a holiday village in front of The Wave? That doesn't seem feasible.

If you wanted another 700ft of The Ultimate your going to need something to obtain the speed, 700ft can drain speed quite quickly. A lift hill was rumoured, and sounds a lot more appropriate.

But, like I said, the whole thing is just a mistake. Waste of investment.

A

Anonymous

*Sigh* No the wave is to be moved to a different location to the park, and the holiday village is to be on the land infront of it. Although the proposals have been rejected once again, and the park arnt going to re-submit the same plans. Therefore development of rides in the area ear marked for a holiday village arn't feasable.

I didn't deny a lifthill would be appropriate, but adding a extra mile onto the ultimate dosnt sound very appropriate to me.