What's new

The Office; do you prefer the UK version or the US version?

Do you prefer The UK Office or The US Office?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Over the years, quite a few British TV shows have been remade for the American audience in some capacity, but arguably one of the more successful and long-lasting American remakes is that of The Office. The US Office ran for 9 seasons, won numerous awards and generally seems quite well-liked compared to other US remakes of British shows, and unlike some US remakes, people actually seem to be somewhat divided on which version of The Office they prefer. So I’d be interested to know; if you’ve watched both, do you prefer The Office (UK) or The Office (US)?

I actually made this thread because we’re currently watching The US Office. I’d never watched it before, we’re 5 seasons in, and I have to say that I’m absolutely loving it so far! There are many absolutely hilarious episodes, and I really like some of the characters. I love the character of Michael Scott, but I’ve also grown to absolutely love Dwight!

I’ve never watched The UK Office, so I’d have to say that I’m undecided as I can’t fairly judge something that I haven’t watched. However, I’ve been led to believe that I’d probably like the American version more. Perhaps controversially for a Brit, I generally tend to gravitate more towards the American humour style, and for what it’s worth, the season of The US Office that is apparently the most similar to The UK Office, season 1, is definitely the season that I’ve liked the least of the ones we’ve seen so far.

But I’d be keen to know; if you’ve watched both, do you prefer The UK Office or The US Office?

Sandman

Giga Poster
UK Office all day for me.

I love the US Office, but the UK office is one of those perfect comedies. No excess fat, 12 great episodes and a couple of specials. The characters are painfully funny without being overt caricatures; I've met so many David Brents, Gareths & Tims in my time.

The plotlines never stray into the unrealistic or ridiculously absurd, either. It's all just perfectly calculated, realistically frustrating, awkward and hilarious. The benchmark for the mockumentary genre and one of the best comedy series ever made in my opinion.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The UK version. Having said that, the US version is also very good. It's probably the only US remake of a UK show I've seen that hasn't been total dogs**t.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Never mind which one is best, I'm just reeling over the fact that the UK version began in 2001... that's 22 years ago!!!
Where the chuffing hell has that gone?
It's older than you, @Matt N !!
Honestly, that has really shocked me.
22 years. 😲

But yeah, it's the British one. I've watched it from start to finish several times over, most recently about 6 months ago, and it's still as sharp as it was in <sigh> 2001. Uniquely brilliant.

As for the US one - I've think I've seen most of it in dribs and drabs and yeah it's really good, but I've never felt compelled to binge watch entire series of it in one sitting. The odd one every now and then will suffice.

Graeme

Roller Poster
I guess I prefer the original, as it's the only one of the two I've watched all of the episodes of, but they really did a good job with the US remake. I watched a season or two, but I'm not sure how long it lasted on ITV2, and I suppose I just lost interest.

There is one thing in particular I think the US one did better, and that is the relationship between Jim and Dwight, as opposed to Tim and Gareth. I understood much more why Jim found Dwight annoying. Tim's behaviour towards Gareth, however, is harder to understand and often just seems like bullying. I know there's the whole subtext of how Tim feels somewhat inadequate because he thinks he should have a better job and he's cowardly with Dawn, but I still don't get why he takes it out on Gareth so much. In the end, Gareth turns out to be just ruthlessly ambitious and disloyal, whereas Dwight is outright annoying. Perhaps I'm taking this too seriously.

On the other hand, you really can't beat Ricky Gervais as David Brent. The spin-off film David Brent: Life on the Road is hilarious and remains the only time I've ever seen a TV-to-film adaptation keep exactly the same tone. That's despite Ricky Gervais being the only actor they have in common. So, the US version did a good job, but for me The Office really is the Ricky Gervais show, which probably outweighs the other aspects.