The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nah, it's weird :p

Real car = no problems
Joypad = too many things for your fingers and thumbs to be concentrating on

I'll do it with a wheel, but never on a pad, I just don't have the manual dexterity for it. I suspect that most "casual" driving gamers don't bother with gears either.

So weird, but I did say wonderfully weird ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
But without engine breaking you can't go nearly as quickly. :lol:

On games where engine braking is important, I use the wheel ;)

Otherwise, it's the pad. Simples :)

nealbie

CF Legend
furie said:
nealbie said:
But without engine braking you can't go nearly as quickly. :lol:

On games where engine braking is important, I use the wheel ;)

Otherwise, it's the pad. Simples :)

But I might not want to invest the time in setting up the wheel on certain games, so engine braking on the pad is a must. You can be competitive without using a wheel simply by using manual gears (which instantly creates the engine braking). Obviously you go even quicker with a wheel, but sometimes you're just not into the game enough to warrant messing with settings.

For straight out of the box fun, you turn the game to manual gears and get going straight away. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
But not if when you come into a corner, you hit: hand brake, view change and "post to Facebook" instead of gear down because - other than "left thumb steer" and "left and right mid fingers accelerate and brake" - you're an incompetent dexterity deprived fool.

I can't smoothly steer out of a corner, gently accelerate with my right index AND find the gear up button and press it. My brain simply can't control that many things in my hands.

For a game where I can't be bothered setting up the wheel, I get enough enjoyment out of it using on automatic. You have to remember I play for fun, not to be competitive. So if I'm winning races on a hard difficulty, or getting lap times that win gold medals or whatever - I'm happy with it on automatic. I'm not one for going round and round and seeing how many tenths I can shave off a lap.

I find that the wheel increases the fun (with certain games), manual on a pad decreases fun in all cases. Ergo, being slightly less competitive is better for me (and I imagine, most people who play for fun (i.e. the majority of people)).

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
The trouble I have is when I enjoy a game I play it to death. Completing everything I can getting achievements and all that. I've finished college for the day and I'm bored, I just don't know what I can be bothered to play, a game I have finished cause I really liked it, or a game I don't particularly enjoy because it's dull and I haven't finished it.

Talk about first world problems!

spicy

Giga Poster
Thought I would ask for your opinions in here as I know a lot of you play driving games.

My dad said to me he wants to get 'the best' driving game and wheel. He currently doesn't own a console either so can be PS4/ XboxOne/ PS3. Budget isn't an issue.

My immediate thought was the new Forza on Xbox One with this wheel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-Ra ... +one+wheel

However wanted to hear your opinions on what you would recommend before I recommended this to him.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Logitec are always the best for wheels. I'll look into the xbone wheel tomorrow, but it needs to be force feedback otherwise it isn't worth it. Best racing games for wheels are on the PC though. I'll write more tomorrow when I'm at a PC.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

marc

CF Legend
Agree with Furie and I've been buying them for longer than some of you have been born lol.

I tried others but they break, their ones last well and feel the best.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That Thrustmaster wheel looks great actually. Even with that, and with no limit to budget it's not an easy choice though :lol:

Let's start with the games.

Forza 5 is the best looking racing game available at the moment. The game is also accessible and "fun" to play. With the new drivatar system as well, it's guaranteed to offer a challenge in the way that you race. It's definitely a "game" and I think Forza works really well at making you feel like you're driving a racing car. It's not a simulator, but it feels more like a simulator than any other racing game I've played because it panders to the fact you're not in a car.

Gran Turismo 6, despite me knocking it, is probably the closest you'll get to a driving simulator on the consoles. Arguably, the closest you'll get to simulated driving of any cars. The game's producer/designer/lead/God is a racing fanatic, and he actually does race the cars in real life. I've also read reviews from test drivers who go home after work thrashing sports cars around tracks playing the game and being amazed at how closely the cars handle.

There's also a competition each year where the best Gran Turismo drivers get into "GT Academy" and actually drive real cars in a competition to win a seat in a car in a real race team. That's how good it is as a simulator

Here's the crunch.

If you know how to drive powerful cars and to race them, GT6 will reward you boundlessly. It's all down to driving experience and if you have a lot of experience of pushing decent cars to the limit, you'll do well.

You can also learn to drive the cars in the game if you're willing to put in the time and effort and if you have that spark of natural aptitude for it. Again, learn to drive the cars well in the game and it'll reward you massively.

The problem is, both things require a lot of work, dedication and experience. You can certainly get fun out of the GT games, but there's a massive difference between playing it for fun and playing to to get good at racing cars.

So, you need to also decide if you're playing for fun's sake, or for the fun of learning to race competitively.

If you're playing for fun's sake, then Forza 5 with a pad will me massively rewarding. It's a great game, great fun and you'll be able to pick it up and be lapping with decent times in a couple of days.

The wheel will definitely increase your fun levels, but it won't make a massive difference to things.

If you want to learn to race, then a PS3 and GT6 is the way to go. With a controller, the game is okay, but a wheel will really bring the game to life and you'll find lap times will improve - you'll also get a much better feel for the car and pedal control.

As far as wheels go, the Thrustmaster looks great, but I don't know if it will offer £275 worth of value to Forza 5. Also, reviews all say the pedals are naff, but it's modular and you can add decent pedals, gear shifter, etc later. It's PC compatible though.

The generally recognised top wheel for GT6 is the Logitech G27:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/joystick-and- ... 892-a.html?

I've used the lesser versions of this for years and they're great.

However, there's also the premium (with a gear stick) at £550 with the Thrustmaster T500RS:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T5 ... B004GNG2MW

Both wheels are also PC compatible because... PC racing games are where it's at. I'm sure there are more now, but iRacing, Rfactor and Live for Speed are all world renowned racing sims. THey take everything to the absolute max and with any of those three wheels above, would be stunning.

They're hard core sims though. Don't expect career modes or challenges or anything. It's just about you and the track. Then when you've learned how to race - you, the track and people online showing you just how bad you really are. You need to set up your car perfectly for each track. It's really hard core stuff and not for the faint hearted though.

Hopefully some of that has helped? :lol:

spicy

Giga Poster
Thanks for that post Furie that has actually helped a lot!

I am basically going to read your post to him and he can make his decision.

He did say he wanted a realistic racer so I think GT6 will be the way to go in that respect however I don't know if he appreciates how difficult Gran Turismo's actually are so I'm going to reiterate that Forza will be the more 'pick up and play' of the two, however GT6 will be more rewarding with the wheel and if you have the time to put into it.

I didn't know about that GT academy either, that's really cool, id love to think I had a chance of competing in that :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Things to remember:

- The realistic sims won't feel like driving a car - but they are realistic. It's just that without the entire car around you, feedback from the brakes, etc. - it doesn't quite feel right (unless you're a professional driver or have learnt to play without that tactile feedback).

- The gear systems (H-Shift) on GT6 only work on cars that actually have those systems in real life. Otherwise it's the flappy paddles.

- Gran Turismo is easy to play, but hard to excel in :)

- Live For Speed is a free download for limited play on the PC and worth trying it with the wheel if you have a PC that can run games.

They were showing GT Academy on ITV4 - I don't know if it's still being shown though - it may be worth checking TV listings and ITV player?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Celebrated Christmas with the in-laws Sunday and I got a 3DS XL, meaning my hands can fit on it! I got Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X, and Mario Kart 7. The main reason I wanted it was to go nostalgic and play games I did as a kid. So far, it's doing that and more. I RARELY use the 3D and the battery gets drained fast (3.5 hours of battery life is absolute ****) but I enjoy it so far. Mario Kart is, well, Mario Kart. I haven't put Zelda in yet, but most of my time has been spent on Pokemon, because I wanted the **** panda.

It's enjoyable for what it is, and it just brings back good memories. Few years ago a couple friends and I bought Gold or Silver or **** Brown or whatever it is and we had more fun drinking and playing Pokemon than imaginable. I will have a real review of Zelda and X once I actually play the games a bit more.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, battery life is so piss poor it's unreal. It's worse if you want to use the Street Pass stuff. So you wander out with it and get the stuff, get to where you're going and the battery will run for ten minutes actually playing. Full of WHY????

I've been trying to catch up on stuff (getting back into Grid 2, or start Borderlands 2), but I've found myself drawn to Don't Starve on the PS4 (free with PS+ last week).

It's a conversion of a a PC Indie game from last year, and one of those oddity titles I tend to adore.

It's proper old school. I'm talking real retro. Pre-Nintendo retro (or pre-Nintendo popularity in the homes in the UK -which is where I guess my gaming heart must still lie).

Back then, there were adventure games like Atic Atac, Sabre Wulf, Mask, Sacred Armour of Antiriad, Head over Heels, Three Weeks in Paradise and Doppelgänger.

Not only did you have to traverse the game world (however it was laid out, top view, side view, 3D) to seek out items to help you beat the game, you also need to avoid/fight enemies. It was a tense mix of cerebral challenge and action game. Lose too much health or too many lives and it was always "Game Over".

I don't think people quite appreciate the ten minutes waiting for a game to load, then playing for half an hour, getting well into a game and suddenly missing a jump onto a Dalek Prince Charles, or getting caught by an angry wasp that stings your final life away from you.

No save games, no codes to get to certain levels. Just you, your keyboard, an entire Sunday afternoon and the patience of a saint.

You start - you die. You restart, you don't die in the same place, but two minutes farther into the game - you die. Repeat until you've learned enough about the game to live for five or ten minutes and actually start to collect items and achieve goals - you die. Start to get 30 minutes into the game and start to build a decent set of skills to complete large numbers of objectives - you die. Dinner is ready - you switch off and lose three hour's work.

Every death results in starting again. Every death results in learning a little bit more. Every death either tries your patience to the extreme until you give up in frustration, or makes you stronger in your resolve to beat the bloody thing. It's one reason I hate retro gaming, I've already served my time :)

Don't Starve then, what's it all about and why is it so great?

You start, tricked and transported into a strange land where everything is either useful, or wants to kill you. There are no instructions, no guides, no real prompts. Just you, a few skills a pseudo 3D/flat world and the need to gather materials to get a fire lit before it gets dark. If it's dark and you don't have fire, you die (I'll let you have that one avoidance of death for free instead of learning it the hard way). Pitch black contains monsters that kill you, so you need to avoid them.

The game is then simply a challenge to live as long as you can. You'll die of the dark, of starvation, killed by monsters, killed by bees you thought you could steal honey from, killed by poison, killed due to insanity nightmare creatures coming to life. Killed. By. Bunnies!

You'll die. Lots. Sometimes you'll see it coming as the desperate cold of winter sets in and you haven't prepared. A slow, drawn out death with withering resources ebbing away. Or it'll be a rapid attack from some beast while you're not ready to defend.

Every time you die and restart, the world is created afresh. No learning the best places to set up camp, or the safe havens. Your first few game days are spent exploring and laying down the foundations. You get good at laying down the foundations rapidly. You even think after four or five goes that you're getting good at the game. You've managed to work out how best to gather resources, and have opened a massive technology tree - you're filling you life obscure game life with wonderful objects that are really helping you gather more resources, better technology and life prolonging tricks.

Then you die. And die. And die. Then you realise that in truth, you need to modify your behaviour each time for each new world. You also unlock new characters, which offer advantages/disadvantages to take into account.

It's a constant bombardment of tedium and thought. Problem solving and planning mixed with bouts of action and fierce competition with the natives. You fight the constant challenges as much as you fight your own skills and lack of ability to think your way out of a situation.

I guess the best comparison in modern times is with The Sims. It's very similar with the constant requirement to meet basic needs of your avatar, while all the time trying to make things better. Only a giant crab monster thing, or a pack of nightmare penguins never killed you in a forest while hunting for berries in The Sims.

It's possible to eventually reach a plateau of near Farmville calm, but to do so, you need to invite insanity. You need to create items using resources only available to the insane. You need to invite death to your door to move on.

My first hour with the game I almost, but didn't quite hate. I thought "this is getting a bit dull. I've died again and again and again and I'm fed up with finding flint for an axe every ten minutes". Then it clicked and I found a rhythm, I found a perfect place to make a home. I examined worm holes and spelunked and went to the ends of the world looking for reeds. I then accidentally ate a poison mushroom and died.

Then I loaded it straight back and straight back in. Every new world offers new opportunities and new challenges. It's a game that will eat your life if you let it. You'll starve because "just another five minutes and..." is what you'll say to yourself for hours on end.

The developers knew what drove us to lose Sunday afternoons back in the 80's. They know what drives gamers today and they've successfully merged the two. It's proper old school gaming wrapped up in a modern way.

It not for the impatient or easily frustrated, but it's there for the true hardcore in everyone if you're willing to let it out for a while :)

Hutch

Strata Poster
So I was busy playing a lot of new games during Christmas break.

But first, before Christmas, my older brother came home with The Last of Us, and over break I've just been watching him play. The story is great, and the characters are really cool. We find the idea of the game (with zombies and whatnot) actually pretty funny. He said he was actually quite terrified at some points. I haven't played the game yet, so I have yet to really experience the anxiety and fear that my brother did.

When my brother went back to San Francisco after xmas, he brought the game with him (he wasn't able to finish it while he was here in MA), and bought himself a cheap PS3. I heard he also got GTA 5, which he says is absolutely ridiculous.

Anyway, on to the stuff that I played. :)

I got three games for my Wii U: Batman Arkam City, Zelda Wind Waker HD, and Mario 3D World. I also got a Nintendo 3Ds XL Zelda Bundle!

For now, here's some of my opinions/thoughts on the Wii U games.

Batman Arkam City
I've only put in about 20 min of the game, so I don't really have a full opinion on it yet. For now it just seems like mashing buttons and easily killing enemies. I'm worried that's all it's gonna be.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
I've never played the original, so I was looking forward to this one. The graphics are beautiful, despite it's unrealistic design. Though I was surprised by how cartoony the characters, cutscenes, and animations were.

So far the gameplay is pretty fun. Definitely not the best Zelda I've played though. The puzzles and the dungeons aren't the best. But the combat is good and the story is pretty interesting. However, the most fun I've had so far in the game is sailing through the seas and taking goofy selfies of Link with the pictobox. :D

WWHD actually got me to start playing around with Miiverse. I found taking in-game pics/selfies, posting them, and seeing others' posts about the game quite fun!

The Gamepad is used quite well also. When you're playing on the TV, the gamepad basically displays what you would see on a pause screen (map, items, etc). It's great if I want to quickly locate my position on the map or equip a different item without pausing the game.

Super Mario 3D World
I'm really glad I was able to spend time playing this with my siblings while they were home, because the multiplayer is amazing and very chaotic. We found ourselves playing competitively, fighting for first place, and screaming at the TV. My one small complaint about the multiplayer is when the screen gets too crowded with multiple players. We played up to three players, and some of the time people were getting teleported to one another.

Oh, and single player is still fun too. :p

So yeah, gameplay is pretty spot-on with Mario. So far, I'm enjoying it more Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, due to the better multiplayer (and that fact that it's new and has different levels).

As for the gamepad use, there are occasional levels where you have to blow or tap something, but other than that, not much else.

I'll have my review the the 3DS and A Link Between Worlds later...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Assassins Creed IV is a return to form...

Still got all the usual land issues (no I want to HIDE behind the wall, not climb up it), but the ship battles just make it...

Plus I've actually been trying to 100% it... That really does show a decent sign of a game if I'm going out of my way to do that...

Hutch

Strata Poster
Ok... on to my thoughts on my new 3DS.

At first I wasn't fond of the 3D. But I tried experimented with it and now I actually think it's quite interesting. I don't turn the 3D up all the way though, just about halfway. The only problem is that I have to hold it further away for it to work right. And it's probably really bad for my eyes, but hey, they were already bad anyway. :p

On to the games...

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

This game is great. The 3D makes look even cooler. The puzzles and dungeons are fantastic, which is what I look for in a Zelda game. Ooh, and the soundtrack! <3

So yeah, I don't really know what else to say about it. Very fun game.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

I was able to get this a couple weeks ago, but I only got the chance to play it for two days.

So far it's a cute, simple little game. What I like about it is that you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. The 3D use isn't as good as ALBW. I haven't become addicted to it yet though...we'll see. I have my mid-winter break coming up this weekend, so I'll be playing more of these!

Oh, and I got back into playing Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe on my laptop. So glad I did, because I'm having tons of fun building trains. :D

BBH

Giga Poster
The Stanley Parable is amazing and everyone should drop everything and go buy the game now. If you are reading this, open Steam (or get a Steam account) and buy the game now. If you already have it, stop reading and go play it again.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sanchezmran said:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf

I was able to get this a couple weeks ago, but I only got the chance to play it for two days.

So far it's a cute, simple little game. What I like about it is that you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. The 3D use isn't as good as ALBW. I haven't become addicted to it yet though...we'll see. I have my mid-winter break coming up this weekend, so I'll be playing more of these!

Animal Crossing was doing Farmville/Casual gaming before Facebook or smart devices even thought about some way wasting people's time. However, Nintendo did it with aplomb right from the off. The characters and the way that it has you doing menial tasks, but always something a bit different - it's a really well crafted game. It IS ultimately pointless and just a "time waster", but it's so good at the same time. Saturday night is still coffee bar night in our house :)

Sanchezmran said:
Oh, and I got back into playing Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe on my laptop. So glad I did, because I'm having tons of fun building trains. :D

I almost got this as it'll run on my slightly ageing PC, but then I remembered the 4:00 a.m. "Just another two minutes and this run will be complete and I'll have enough for a new airport. Airport built, now just 2 more minutes and I'll have a flight route in place and will make enough to finally upgrade that train. Okay, train built and now..." then finding it's Christmas and I've missed work for 11 months. SO I avoided it. Brilliant game, best avoided! ;)

BBH said:
The Stanley Parable is amazing and everyone should drop everything and go buy the game now. If you are reading this, open Steam (or get a Steam account) and buy the game now. If you already have it, stop reading and go play it again.

It won't run on my PC, but it's exactly the kind of game I'd grab on the PS3/PS4 and thoroughly enjoy. I love games which challenge the idea of what "gaming" is.