What's new

Spinball Whizzer to Sonic Spinball?

Martyn B

CF Legend
The new colours aren't really that much of a difference to be honest. I personally think its just getting a new lick of paint, rather than a complete re-theme. They'll surely want everyone to focus on Thirteen next year, not Spinball.

But still, my god, how bloody long has Oblivion needed some new paint for? Yet Spinball has jumped the queue? I swear they're just leaving X-Sector to rot.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I suspect X-Sector is getting a total make-over. So next season we'll see it redeveloped as a new area - or at least revamped. Hence the reason it's been left "abandoned" for so long.

Spinball was looking tatty, so chances are it is just a touch up - but Merlin aren't beyond whoring themselves (look at the Twilight soundtrack at Halloween). So it could be a retheme, but one they'll not advertise.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^I much as I hate Twilight and everything that's to do with it, at least it had SOME relevance to the actual season...

The blue looks good, just hoping it is just a re-paint though... If only they could give the brushes to Chessie and Fury...

It would be silly for them to market a retheme due to Thirteen's presence, as some guests WILL think it's a totally new ride... Because they're stupid... Hence, please don't do this Merlin...

Martyn B

CF Legend
I suspect X-Sector is getting a total make-over. So next season we'll see it redeveloped as a new area - or at least revamped. Hence the reason it's been left "abandoned" for so long.

Yeah I've been thinking that for a while now. If indeed Ug-Land is giving a new name/theme, that'll be 3 new lands in 3 years. Which surely means they're going around the place cleaning it up & X-Sector badly needs to be next. It has done for a while now.

I wouldn't put it past Spinball being moved their. Take down a few of them tree's and I'm surel it'll fit snug where the Black Hole was.

Jools

Giga Poster
Can I remind people how cheaply they were selling the Spinball Whizzer merchandise off, plus the paint, maybe not a complete retheme, but I am betting there will be a new name, sonic or not.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
I am sorry but I think the rings will look tacky and make it look like a fairground ride, rather than something that suits Alton. If they do theme it to sonic Spinball will stick out even more than it allready does! And that 'aint no good thing!

HarryBoyy

Mega Poster
Well when you put it thst way it does sound very tacky and it woulld stick out! But you have to admit those colours do look very nice if it was in a place where it did fit in!

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Good to see Spinball having a re-paint, it was starting to look very tacky.

Is there any truth in this Sonic re-theme talk, or is it all speculation at the moment?

Darren

Roller Poster
It is confirmed by Alton Towers. The updated versions of the brochures/info packs in the hotels show the ride with Sonic logos on it.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
Wow :shock:. So is Spinball not being moved? :?
I don't know whether I like the idea of it or not. I s'pose it should be good if it is themed well and not over the top. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures! :--D

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Merlin...

I hoped that massively sponsored rides were to be a thing of the past... Guess I was wrong...

I love the way people are saying it'll breathe new life into Spinball, considering the GP loved it anyway :roll:

andrus

Giga Poster
Nice! I like the idea hence it appeals to the kids who the ride mainly is aimed at. It also makes more sense if it's themed to sonic than if thers just som pinballs laying around.. And if the sponsorship brings in money to alton (or it's the reversed relationship?) it is a win win situation as far as I can see!

Dave

CF Legend
Benin, it needed a re-paint badly, last time I went in 2008 the red and blue was fading badly, the scenery needed a lick. Maybe this is a good thing, give the trains a good look over.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
I don't mind parks having sponsered rides. It's like having any other theme, it needs to work with the ride and I don't really see what Spinball Whizzer has to do with 'The World's Fastest Hedgehog'. It's basically a spinning coaster, not really much to do with speed.
I hope they don't get rid of the in-queue games that they had. Hopefully they'll re-theme them and make sure they work this time. :wink:

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
When did I say I have a problem with it getting repainted?

Look at what happened with Tussauds' sponsored rides... That's why I'm not happy...

If this was a Disney-like sponsorship, were we're not having the brand/product shoved down our throats, then I would accept it marc... But it's not this situation...

If it was more like Dragon Fury's old Skips sponsorship then I would be ok... But it's not... It's not as if it's an old ride is it? Why could it not JUST get a repaint? Not as if it's a quiet unpopular ride with the GP is it?

Just seems to be a waste and will possibly detract from Thirteen, as if they advertise it it'll no doubt be billed as a new ride, which the GP will lap up...