What's new

Spinball Whizzer to Sonic Spinball?

Jools

Giga Poster
I've been reading TowersTimes alot recently to see what's happening at the park, and reading the Spinball topic, a rumour (< I hate that word too) has spread indicating that Spinball Whizzer will be sponsered by Sega, and it wil be renamed Sonic Spinball, celebating Sega's birthday. People also seem to think the track will be painted and golden rings will be put up like in the sonic games.

Personally, to me this soudns like a load of dreamers... wierd idea, nice concept though, it definatly wouldn't fit in, but the name it's self is a lot better because it sounds generally more thrilling; "Sonic Spinball". If this does happen I will be extremely suprised, but Merlin are doing alot to spruce up Alton.

Emmett

Giga Poster
I like the idea and I would take back everything negative I've ever said about Spinball Whizzer if they go with this Sonic theme.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I think I'd join you on that one.

I think this could make Spinball actually fun to ride. I know the layout won't be any different, but it wouldn't leave you thinking "what...?".

Having said that, this does seem unlikely. I'd happily be proven wrong, but it just doesn't seem like the sort thing that would happen. I'm sceptical.

Ollie

CF Legend
I doubt it. There's other things that need updating first. Wasn't it in the 10 year plan that Spinball was going to be moved to somewhere else in the park?

Jools

Giga Poster
^ That was my thought, it wouldn't fit in anywhere else really, I suppose it could kind of fit in at Cloud Cuckoo Land. :?

Jools

Giga Poster
Sorry to double post, but this is fantastic and I want people to notice it haha:

2u7mv89.jpg

Ollie

CF Legend
^Lol. I guess the idea would work but then what would be the point of re-theming it? It's one of, if not the busiest ride in the park and always has long queues. It wouldn't need updating/re-theming as it's fine how it is to the GP.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ollie said:
^Lol. I guess the idea would work but then what would be the point of re-theming it? It's one of, if not the busiest ride in the park and always has long queues. It wouldn't need updating/re-theming as it's fine how it is to the GP.
I think it's more to do with its slow throughput. It might have a few more guests a day, but not a significant number.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Dueling coaster? ;)

I think it'd be a good retheme. It would be pointless retheming it in it's current location, but when (if) it moves, it could be quiet good.

Rings ftw

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Hmmm...

I would hope Merlin would move away from sponsored attractions... Considering how crap the Tussauds ones were, and Saw not exactly being great, sponsored rides in the UK are generally rubbish...

Sonic's been done at Alton already anyway...

Martyn B

CF Legend
and Saw not exactly being great

If you mean the coaster itself, well thats your own opinion, but you cant ignore the fact that the Saw brand has been a massive success for Thorpe, pretty much everyone all over the country knows about and it pulled in the crowds big time for Thorpe this year.

^Yes.

They're making the new Aliens Vs Predator game.

Yeah they make a few games, but they're not the massive company they used to be. They dont have any big consoles, so I doubt they'd be sponsering anything.

But thats just my personal opinion, and this is just an 'idea' that a fan came up with on a fansite.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^But is the theming of Saw top notch immersive 'OMG I'm going to die'???

Exactly... I like theming... And Saw's is absolutely pathetic... Ohhh it's an industrial warehouse...

Yes brands bring in use of people but that wasn't the point of my previous sponsored examples at the Tussauds parks, I was on about the Ribena rides, Imperial Leather, Cadbury Heroes on Air, Skips on Fury...

Merlin need to bring back the old originality Tussauds had in the 90s to early 00s and they can easily make all of their parks immense...

Plus... If this were Sonic themed... Would it involve the NUMEROUS annoying side characters it now has?

Seriously... This is a bad idea and hopefully just a fanboy's dream... Spinball does need fixing like Rita does yes... But Sonic is NOT the answer...