What's new

Son of Beast to be dismantled for further development.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Since everybody's posting photos of SoB's deconstruction I thought I would join in on the fun.
These are from Saturday (Oct. 13) so I might have been there when other CFer's were. :p

SoB6.jpg

SoB8.jpg

SoB7.jpg

SoB5.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rADY3e9Etp4[/youtube]

sparky2u

Mega Poster
Five Questions for KI’s Don Helbig on Son of Beast demolition

QUESTION: How long did it take to construct Son of Beast and how long will it take to dismantle it?

ANSWER: It took 15 months to construct it. (Demolition) started in mid-September and it’s probably going to take till early 2013 to totally dismantle the ride. The dismantling of the ride started in the middle of the structure and they’ll work toward the back end. One of the last pieces they’ll break down is the big lift, which is 215-feet high, and you’ll see that within the last several months. That will be the last part they’ll take down.

Q: How is the ride being brought down?

A: There’s a lot of different ways they’re going about bringing the ride down. One way is they’re cutting different pieces of the ride and they’re kind of pulling it to bring the ride down. They may use the wrecking ball in some areas. In some other parts of the ride, it may be the same way it was built, where they’re just going to undo the bolts. It depends on what section of the ride they’re in and how much structure is there. They may keep the station for the Wolf Pack maze (in Halloween Haunt). It’s one of our most popular mazes.

Q: Many fans are disappointed that the ride could not be saved. What’s your response to them?

A: We know the ride had its fans who were very interested to see what would happen to the ride. We appreciate their interest in the ride and they kept in touch with us the past three and a half years to get an update on what would happen to the ride. After a thorough evaluation of all the alternatives, the decision was made to dismantle the ride for future expansion.

Q: Any idea on what that future expansion might entail?

A: We’re really going to have to wait until the ride comes down. Once the ride has been removed, probably in early 2013, we’ll begin the process then of surveying the land and looking at all the ideas and different concepts and all the things we can do. There’s plenty of room to work with and we’re excited about that opportunity as we look towards the future.

Q: What will happen to all of the parts? Some fans have suggested you make them available as mementos.

A: Different parts of the ride may be salvaged and reused. We received a lot of phone calls and emails from fans interested in getting a piece of the ride, whether it’s a piece of wood or track. Once the ride is dismantled or more of it’s down, we’ll look at that and we’ll probably make some pieces available and will have that information at a later date.

New pic:

pjl100512sonofbeast1p.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It might have been a **** ride, but I've always loved that massive structure.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Uprooting all those footers and filling in the holes must be one heck of a chore.

Do anybody know if they are obliged to do it, or is it possible they will just leave them be?
If I were the manager of the park, I'd leave that job for future queue jumpers to do. One queue jump = dig up one footer and fill the hole, or leave the park with no refunds. Not sure if it's legal or indeed feasible, but oh how satisfying it would have been.

bmac

Giga Poster
_koppen said:
I would be very surprised if they were allowed to leave them in the ground.

other parks have left footers in to reuse them for future rides, the best example would be Verbolten, while Maverick and a few other rides used a few footers from the previously standing ride.

I think it depends on what they build in SoB's place, but they could spare a good chunk of the footers for the next ride. Not all of them, but a decent chunk of them.

Nick P

Mega Poster
^ Now that's something you don't see everyday. Surprising how the entire structure collapses in on itself after it hits the ground.

EDIT: I'm talking about 0:47.

Snoo

The Legend
2nd best part of the ride is dead. I'm still excited to see what goes here next. I hope they aren't as **** as after they replaced The Bat

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Nick P said:
^ Now that's something you don't see everyday. Surprising how the entire structure collapses in on itself after it hits the ground.

EDIT: I'm talking about 0:47.

Not that surprising, seeing as the structure is designed for vertical forces. When it tips over and hits the ground, lots of force is applied to the side of the structure. I doubt it was designed to withstand anything but wind load in that direction.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Fresh from twitter, Kings Island has tweeted that there is no time table for removal of the last portion.

sparky2u

Mega Poster
I'll love to see KI keep the lift hill standing for a few more years as reminder on it's amazing record breaking height, speed & loop, All the wood will be checked for safety so visitors can stand by / under it.

I don't think we will see any park want to build a 200ft+ woodie ever again, it's such a shame KI did not want to go for the "topper track" or the "Iron Horse" treatment like the "Rattler" & "Texas Giant".

Video - Last section to go before the lift hill:

http://telly.com/9MYB0

684431588.jpg

997_10200115983209315_1202524211_n.jpg

Has any of the wood made it to Ebay yet as this would be a great reminder for myself when I rode it 2 months after it opened. :--D :--D

Intricks

Strata Poster
^ It didnt have a properly reinforced support structure that was necessary for the height and forces given. The ride would still have had to be rebuilt from the ground up anyway.

Yes, the park itself sold some pieces of wood.

kifan99

Roller Poster
im new here so. :)

someone else get the link i dont know how to post pics and vids.

SOB COMPLETLY demolished all that remains is the final brake run and the station!

A little sad but looking forward whats going to take its place.

sparky2u

Mega Poster
This is the last bit to go, The record breaking liift hill, thank you for making my knuckles go white, a rough ride but oh so amazing 118ft high loop (hands in the air) back in 2000. RIP SOB

http://twitpic.com/bewqrh - Video

423091_10151508579808368_1193646449_n.jpg

Now "Colossos" at Heide-Park Soltau has reclaimed the highest woodie on the planet for the time being at 196ft high. This is how a huge woodie should be, tons of airtime & massive hills. One of my fav :--D :--D