What's new

Son of Beast to be dismantled for further development.

CoasterWild

Mega Poster
Son of Beast was indeed a mechanical nightmare! Why?
Because the people who designed this wooden coaster, are nothing but borderline...
he__s_nothing_but_a_real____by_ryanthescooterguy-d53vka9.jpg

Duuuuuuuuuuuuh!

sparky2u

Mega Poster
Kings Island have finally started to bring down "SOB" :(, Its good KI created this huge woodie which the world has never seen before, but as I've always said it was not designed & built correctly from the start, so of course the structure would not last many years before something bad happened.

I rode it back on July 10th 2000 & loved the experience as I've never been on a woodie that high or fast before, glad I managed to ride "SOB" in it's original version before they changed the trains & removed the loop. On with the pic's:

KISOBDown2_zps07deb601.jpg

KISOBDown1_zpsb201d831.jpg

ings Island CEO / MD https://twitter.com/KIGMGREG

SOBNail_zpse163c21e.png

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I say they demolish it in the style of a norse funeral.

Build a boat out of the wood and set it on fire.

viking_funeral.jpg

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
sparky2u said:
Why not use "C4" to flatten it in 1 go, loads of people wanting to push the plunger down. :--D :--D

Probably because you'd have to rig and cut a buttload of wooden beams to bring the structure down, and all the rigging wouldn't be worth it in the end. Spending days stapling kilometres of wire to the hundreds of members you'd have to cut to get an efficient demolition, then wrap them with rubber to avoid getting splinters flying everywhere, instead of just ramming it with a cheap hired excavator.

Never mind the risk of fire. I think they would want to recycle the wood, after all. I bet SoB will end up as paper, eventually.

Naemuti

Mega Poster
Pokemaniac said:
sparky2u said:
Why not use "C4" to flatten it in 1 go, loads of people wanting to push the plunger down. :--D :--D

Probably because you'd have to rig and cut a buttload of wooden beams to bring the structure down, and all the rigging wouldn't be worth it in the end. Spending days stapling kilometres of wire to the hundreds of members you'd have to cut to get an efficient demolition, then wrap them with rubber to avoid getting splinters flying everywhere, instead of just ramming it with a cheap hired excavator.

Never mind the risk of fire. I think they would want to recycle the wood, after all. I bet SoB will end up as paper, eventually.

In Minecraft you just have to put the TNT in water and then nothing's damaged! :lol:

bmac

Giga Poster
Hyde244 said:
I say they demolish it in the style of a norse funeral.

Build a boat out of the wood and set it on fire.

viking_funeral.jpg

Now that I think about it that's a little too humane for a ride like this...

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
How to tear down Son of Beast? One word. Termites.

http://youtu.be/GBEqyOBE0ww
Oh, and this was on the local news the other night, just thought I'd share it here. And I'm tempted to write our local news station a strongly worded letter for calling it THE Son of Beast. -_-

TilenB

Strata Poster
Too bad it was built by rccoa. It would be amazing if it was Intamin prefab or something like it :( I'd still ride although it was crappy and rough. It was, infact, only wooden mega coaster in history...

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
^They're just knocking down whole sections like that? I'm kinda surprised. I figured they would do a top-down deconstruction.

Mind you, this way's more fun.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
^I simply had the thought that they would be gentle with it. I also assumed SOME of the wood could be used for other things not involved with roller coasters, but it did sit for quite a long time so that's actually not very likely.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I drove past the park today, and was able to grab a snapshot from the highway. It would appear that only the lift, first drop, and entry into what used to be the Rose Bowl remain.

A4pUYlcCYAAvGe4.jpg:large

It'd be fair to imagine the coaster totally leveled by the end of the week.

Screamscape also linked to a cool video the local news shot of the teardown. It is eerie how quickly the structure can fall.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/national/a ... omes-Down-

Snoo

The Legend
It's so weird to see a coaster being demolished, especially one youve been on for so long. I can still see going over that first drop for the first time.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Let the records show that it was a damn good drop.