What's new

Snow.

Snoo

The Legend
CMonster said:
Why is there such an uproar across the pond when it snows a bit? It seems that everything completely shuts down... that doesn't happen in our northern states, does it?

Nope. But remember.. we're used to snow. It snows here from November until sometimes May.. in large amounts as well. Across the pond? Not nearly as much.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^And it appears that when it does snow people here seem to expect that everything will run perfectly...

Even when the services are still shocking normally :lol:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
It's like 2am. Everyone in my house is still up because they wont be able to work tomorrow because of the 9 or so inches of snow outside. I went downstairs to get a drink to find the garden illuminated.

http://twitpic.com/3c1tl2/full

There's thick clouds, so I can't see the moon, but I guess all the white is reflecting what little light there is insanely. Out front where there are street lights, it's like daytime. I've never seen anything like it, though I assume it's common where you get lots of snow.

Amazing. I love all this. I love the chaos it causes.

Trains in my neck of the woods are totally ****ed. SouthEastern are a joke. Do I care? ...Not really. I find the idea of being snowed in actually rather exciting.

Tomorrow I think I'll venture out in it. Wonder down to Tesco to get some salt, but it'll have sold out.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Even though it doesn't snow as much in England as it does here in Michigan, 9 inches is still a lot. If we get 9 inches in southeast Michigan, we will end up getting school off.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsL2_MrSmCk[/youtube]

I made a boring video of the snow because I'm bored of photos.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
How low are the planes near you? That was deafening (at 6:12)!

nealbie

CF Legend
Yellow snow moment got a LOL!

There's something delightfully pleasant about the white stuff! :roll:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Working in the transport industry, snow is a live or die moment for me. [/over dramatic]

I knew it was going to snow overnight, so I deliberately set my alarm extra early and got to work for 6:15am. I was determined to make sure that the traffic lights were operating efficiently and that the people of Hampshire were aware of delays throughout the county.

For the first time in yonks, I worked solidly from 6:30 until 4:30pm. (Ok, the odd few mins were dedicated to CF, Twitter, BBC, tea, food, fags...but that's "natural wastage.")

Not many people made it into work. Out of a 20 strong team, only 5 made it in.

Traffic was generally light today, albeit slow moving. Compared to Thursday last week, there approximately 80% less cars on the road. Therefore the traffic lights coped well. I did have to make a couple of changes, mainly increasing the green time on the ungritted side roads as people were slower to pull away.

The most satisfying part was the travel information. I am responsible for work's Twitter: www.twitter.com/ROMANSE I must have sent out about 30 updates today, most of which were retweeted. ROMANSE gained an extra 100 followers today and was praised highly by the recipients, including the Police, local councilors and radio stations.

I also did a few local radio broadcasts, informing people of delays and offered motoring advice. I was even called an "expert" at one point, which I find rather cringeworthy. My boss heard me on the radio and called to congratulate me afterwards.

I've not made a snowman. I've not thrown a snowball. I haven't even bothered to walk on virgin snow. I genuinely feel that today I offered a high level service to Hampshire's motorists.

I like snow. It makes me feel good about myself. (More than I usually do :wink:)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It hasn't snowed enough here at all.

**** ing school has stayed open the whole time. I feel cheated.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Any snow that we've had, which may I add has been a PATHETIC amount, has turned into that horrible slippery slush. Do not want.

So...from looking at Joey's video, how is it that south London got more snow than us lot in north London?

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Bush Hill Park was reported to have 1-2 inches. Fantastic, right?

2-3 inches is pathetic (although Oakwood isn't THAT far from me), especially when compared to other people saying they've had 8-12 inches.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I half expected a comment like that :roll:
Anyway, I hope all this snow nonsense stops before the 18th, otherwise getting to the CF London meet would be a pain, since; a bit of snow + transport = OMGOMG FREAKOUT CLOSE EVERYTHING.

nealbie

CF Legend
Well, it's alliterative! ;)

And that would be AWFUL! As much as I love to indulge in my fair share of health and safety RAGE - I think that happening would lead me to return to a life of mass genocide!

jokerman

Giga Poster
My school was the only one in this borough or the borough next to us to be open today. I found it really easy to get in, just looked up the train times before I left. All the roads are either gritted or melted. I don't know what everyone is complaining about, and schools that are shut are just slacking.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Omg. Snowy CF Christmas meet day would make it ALL THE MORE FUN. It's not like Tube's get disrupted.

However, **** knows how I'd get up there. South Eastern area joke.