What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launch

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launc

Hixee said:
but it looks like it might kill the pacing quite a bit.
I'm intrigued on the pacing as well; if the backwards launch will feel organic or like a forced feature.

bmac

Giga Poster

Hyde244 said:
Hixee said:
but it looks like it might kill the pacing quite a bit.
I'm intrigued on the pacing as well; if the backwards launch will feel organic or like a forced feature.

If they theme it like a stunt jump I can see the backing up to gain speed for the "jump." I'm getting my hopes up though since Full Throttle looks like it doesn't have much themeing to it other than "oversenory experiences."

Xpress

Strata Poster

Because it's SixFlags, the theming will be minimal. They made a good step towards good theming when they built Terminator/Apocalypse, then threw it all out the window with the last 2 additions. Budget cutting move that a lot of guests really won't care about. You go to SFMM for the thrills, not because of the exotic theming associated with their rides.

Stevo

Roller Poster

I agree with hixie about the train synchronisation. It would look awesome with one train going through the loop and the other flying over the top hat

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

"oversensory experience" = things that break in two years.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

I personally love it. UC's explanation of the backwards launch as a way to gather momentum is perfectly logical. Yes, it's a little short, and capacity may not be the best, but it's coaster #18 you know. Every ride can not be a people eater.

Also, why use all that space when it's prime space for the next big addition. People need to stop crying about what they want. If you want the park to continue adding coasters, let them do thier thing.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

I think the reason why we don't see a synchronized launch where both trains go through the loop at the exact same time (mimicing each other's movement) is the complex forces involved. Stressing the track from both sides simultaneously, never mind moving all that weight through a flexible structure at the same time... the civil engineer in me thinks it would strain the structure way, way more than just sending them through one at a time. Notice how in the video one train is going up the loop (transferring weight to one support structure) just after the other has begun to descend the hill (having all its weight carried by the other support).

I'd love to be debunked on this, though. While I do take Mechanics at university, I haven't got far enough in my course to determine problems such as this. I do believe it would be fully possible to do, but that it would involve a little more money than SFMM would be willing to invest just to get the gimmick right.

Also, the main reason why I'm slightly disappointed, is the humongous waste of speed potential after the final launch. One hill, then brakes. Why not an overbank, an Immelmann, a helix even? Anything but "Wow, that was fast! Big hill! Weeeeeeee... eee.. eee...e... oh, is it over?"
On the other hand, I see the comparison to Stealth, which frankly does a lot less than this ride already. The fact that this has a "Stealth-like" section at the end of an already decent ride should just be icing on the cake. Still, the amount of energy wasted makes me cringe a little.

Xpress

Strata Poster

I'd imagine the forces involved with the loop would be vertically, even with both trains occupying it. This is of course assuming the airtime hill actually has legitimate airtime, and the loop has legitimate positive force.

bmac

Giga Poster

I wonder if this will sway in winds like Fahrenheit's Norwegian Loop does. They're both rather unsupported in the highest point of the elements and Farenheit's shakes slighty when there's a good breeze. Either way it's going to be a very eye catching coaster in the park, might not be on many top 10 lists but it's still a good addition for the park that's now 2 coasters up on every other park in the world...

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

No the reason we won't see two trains on the YOLOOP at the same time is because of the blocking issue, a train can't be launched from the first launch until the other train has cleared the top of the topside of the YOLOOP in case it rolls back so the two trains won't collide in the tunnel. As for the backwards launch I hope the braking and reverse launch are a continuous motion, sort of like a bungee jump, and it doesn't stop then launch in reverse since that would be really amazingly awkward.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

The backward launch would make a tonne more sense on a narrative driven coaster, with a thematic reason for the launch... It's just there to make the ride weird, really. Deviation from what people expect a roller coaster to do. Moving pieces of track, launches and mid circuit launches all do something unexpected from the lifthill and then up and down and upside-down norm.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Joey said:
I'm baffled by the negativity of most people on this. It looks amazing, wtf?

Oh cmon, ya know we can't actually like anything!
What kind of enthusiasts would we be?

Well, IDK what to think, I wish we had a real POV and not the splice slides with promos and stuff. I mean I know it's a promo, but I can't get a truly accurate feel.
I guess there is a twinge of let down because these rumors are generally true, at least to some extent, so I was hoping for a length record, insane Maverick shaming coaster, but it does look pretty cool honestly, just not anything epic.

Still, Outlaw Run has the "most excited for 2013" award

The backwards launch is just for the sake of it/being unique but what I wonder is....will it be safe to run 2 trains on this thing? Also hope capacity wont be an issue. Even if ride ops hustle like Superman at SF:DK, Magic Mountain may have a couple of more people :lol:
The loop is whatever, just a big loop. I hope the ride is fun because it does seem pretty gimmicky.
And Premier trains aren't so bad now, so I wouldn't worry about that.

bmac

Giga Poster

JJLehto said:
The backwards launch is just for the sake of it/being unique but what I wonder is....will it be safe to run 2 trains on this thing?

The backwards launch is a block, as long as no other train is in the loop it will be safe to launch backwards and then into the air time hill / top hat. Unless there's a dual station or a hidden block not shown in the videos and pictures this ride will only have 2 trains, which was pictured in the video.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

True point

Doesn't look like Full Throttle is any more reason to go to SFMM but it is an interesting addition, and I can appreciate that. I'm still going anyway so pretty stoked about #18!

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster

I'm going to SoCal next summer, but not expecting YOLO to be the best a SFMM. I'm giving that to X2.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

YOLO? ugghhhh

No way it'll be the best at SF:MM but it may be one of the better ones.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

I'd say that it looks like it'll be probably in the top 5 coasters there, maybe better depending on how the YOLOOP rides.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Ok seriously putting 'YOLO' into new words doesn't make it cool...

bmac

Giga Poster

Ethan said:
^ Ok seriously putting 'YOLO' into new words doesn't make it cool...

Yeah let's just call it the YOLOcoaster and move on ;)

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

I dont think YOLO included with anything, (or on its own) is cool but internet memes 101: the more you fight it the more intensely it'll be spread, so best to just let it go ha!