What's new

Shocking First Rides

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
While I riding the Big Apple at Pleasureland Southport, I reached out and touched a support.

I got a pretty good jolt of electricity, something wasn't grounded properly. Someone else on the train said they felt the same thing on the next lap.

That was shocking.
:p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Haha! We used to do that on the Apple coaster at Alton Towers when I was in school (that's going back some). I think it's a semi-common thing with those Pinfaris.

nealbie

CF Legend
-lofty- said:
Are you **** joking? Why have you bumped this topic? It's over 3 years old. You may as well have just started a new one...

Eugh, he's actually done the right thing, searched back to see if a topic exists, found one, and posted accordingly. Now members can also see answers from years gone by. Which is great fun :) .

So remove the bumble from your trilby.

For me, Zeus and Monster.

All I knew of Zeus was it was a woodie, not what it did <3.

Monster is Raptor, which has such bad press. But the fact it's insanely awesome is another piece of conclusive evidence to the stupidity (or wimpiness) of Americans. :p

marc

CF Legend
California Screamin at Disney.

Never heard much about the coaster but its fantastic from start to finish, even better at night when the parks lights are on.

Josh73

Giga Poster
At my local crap park, I was seeing if I could touch the sides of the glow-in-the-dark cheap tunnel, and I could. It hurt. :(

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
*Volcano: The Blast Coaster (The launch is REALLY intense and being so high the entire ride makes you feel like you're flying.)
*Afterburn (It looks like any other B&M invert but the forces are CRAZY.)
*Millennium Force (I rode I-305 before Millennium, so I was expecting some rough death machine that beat you up as it tore through the layout, but Millennium has more of a pleasant cruising motion than a fast paced rampage like I-305.)
*Intimidator (I had ridden other B&M hypers before but this one had WAY more airtime than the rest. I floated out of my seat even after the trim.)
*Maverick (It started sprinkling when they dispatched us so I got to ride in the rain, but the launch, beyond vertical drop, and twisted horseshoe just blew me away!)
*Son of Beast (I liked it the first time but once you get past the surprise, it's just a giant death machine.)
*Loch Ness Monster (I think it's the only Arrow looper where I didn't yell "Ow!" even once, and the ride is so scenic.)
*Thunderhead (I rode this when I was still GP and thought it was old and would be rough. I felt dumb when I became interested in coasters and found out that it was new and therefore not that rough. But to this day it's my favorite woodie.)
*Mystery Mine (It's pretty different. I'd never seen such a slow coaster that's that intense.)

mouse

Giga Poster
Ghost train at Brean, I was expecting a rubbish travelling one, but got an adults horror attraction. Loved it though...
The orange one at PBB, it had some nice unexpected airtime. :)

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I'll add vilda musen (grona lund) and heise fahrt (klotten) to the list, both just look like glorified wild mice,but both are great rides.

and - colorado express at phantasialand - ace family coaster

and steeplechase at blackpool - so scared I was gonna fall off!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
nealibie said:
Monster is Raptor, which has such bad press. But the fact it's insanely awesome is another piece of conclusive evidence to the stupidity (or wimpiness) of Americans.

To be fair though, pretty much everyone who has ridden both has said that Monster (or Orochi as it was before) is quite a lot better than Raptor. It's a clone, yes, but it's newer and doesn't have the MCBR that Raptor does.

I haven't ridden Monster yet (Orochi was closed for maintenance when I was at Expoland), but I can confirm that Raptor is a bit rubbish.

nealbie

CF Legend
Can see how the MCBR would make the flatspins and twirly bit at the end less fun. But the first half? It's so simple and awesome, can't see how Raptor could be naff. Or painful. Monster's been moved and put in effectively a French Dale farm and it's stunning.

Silly Americans.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Probally because they arn't totally identical. If you study the all the track and supports, you will notice some transitions are ever so slightly different on Raptor to Orochi/Monster. Most noticeably the banking into the brake run and the pre-lift. Its almost like CP squashed the station end in to make it fit... whatever it is it make it a tad violent in places. Monster probally is better.

I've already answered this topic, but yeah MilF. I had no expectations of it. Never really taken any notice of it. Too focused on the yellow and red beast. Videos don't do it justice of how fu€king fast it is! Sooo amazing. Can't wait to get back on it in a few months! Hope it hasn't gone all crap on me...

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
Maverick: thought it was going to be better
Mean Streak: I enjoyed it, it was less bumpy than I thought
Superman: RoS (SFNE) I was only 9, but it was much more intense than I thought
Millennium Force: faster than I thought it would be
Beast: better and more forceful than I thought
Steel Force: better and more airtime than I thought
Talon: faster and quicker between elements than I thought

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Verbolten. Didn't know it was going to be so quick and zippy around the turns. And what's funny is that I vaguely remember reading about the section of track where it drops you, yet I had entirely forgot about that while riding and was completely surprised by the drop anyway. Oh and there were cool special effects inside the building. It turned out to be a pretty wicked ride! :)

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
Mystery Mine was great, but only due to that fantastic final inversion. I was expecting meh-ness, but it ended up being quite good.

tribar

Mega Poster
Stormrunner- Wasn't expecting the so much airtime
Magnum- thought it would be rough and boring
X Flight- Thought it would be boring
Skyrush- Wasn't expecting much out of it