What's new

Shamu kills trainer at Seaworld Orlando

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
UC was using Wiki as evidence of the public opinion. Hense, Wiki was more than appropriate. So, I proved what point other than you were attacking him for the sake of it?

Unrelated to UC's argument, in that I doubt he agrees with me, but part of my criticism of you none-the-less is that the wisdom of crowds is a phenomenon that governs Wikipedia, I personally think is more reliable than any "expert" opinion.

The "Wiki is never reliable" bull**** needs to **** off. The Internet is never serious business enough to warrant a valid criticism of Wiki. This isn't University, it's a ****ing coaster forum. Even my Uni would accept references to wiki more than some people, like yourself, on the Internet.

Get over yourself Neal.

AJ

Giga Poster
Way i see it. Trainer was on her period, hadn't showered, guffed like fish, whale got hungry, smelt trainers' fanny. POW. Killed.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Yeah maybe I am mistaken on that part, may have been a clip from one of the other Sea World park finalis.

But the video that family took at the end of the dine with Shamu experiance clearly shows the trainer in the water with a whale which then suposedly grabbed her and pulled her under.

So, it seems we still don't know what actually happened.

marc

CF Legend
From what I was reading Tilikum is the largest Killer Whale in captivity.

Sorry if this has been said but there are pages of posts and its hard to pick out now.

Maybe Tilikum is just to large to be held in these small tanks.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Well, apparently The Bible says that Tillikum should be executed, preferably by stoning:

The American Family Association, a religious right group, is urging that Tillikum (Tilly), the killer whale that killed a trainer at SeaWorld Orlando, be put down, preferably by stoning. Citing Tilly's history of violent altercations, the group is slamming SeaWorld for not listening to Scripture in how to deal with the animal:

Says the ancient civil code of Israel, "When an ox gores a man or woman to death, the ox shall be stoned, and its flesh shall not be eaten, but the owner shall not be liable." (Exodus 21:28)

However, the group is going further and laying the blame for the trainer's death directly at the feet of Chuck Thompson, the curator in charge of animal behavior, because, according to Scripture,

But, the Scripture soberly warns, if one of your animals kills a second time because you didn't kill it after it claimed its first human victim, this time you die right along with your animal. To use the example from Exodus, if your ox kills a second time, "the ox shall be stoned, and its owner also shall be put to death." (Exodus 21:29)

SeaWorld has no plans to execute Tilly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/03/american-family-associati_n_484022.html

What do you think? Should Tillikum be stoned to death, along with the curator?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Wow! How much pot would it have to smoke to get stoned to death? :lol:

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk[/youtube]

???

In seriousness, what a silly thing to say... Why in such a situation does everyone come out and make it seem an accident which occured once out of how many times a show is done makes it all ridiculous...

Dave

CF Legend
Just a question, you'd have to pummel it with a massive stone to kill a Killer Whale....that is if its outside of the water...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I guess it would depend on the level of responsibilty on the park though. Anyone working with animals of that size know the inherent danger involved in their work, and therefore should take on a lot of the responsibilty themselves.

I'm not going along the "it's the trainer's fault" route, by the way. I'm just pointing out that those people, when taking on that line of work, as with many other professions, know that it's a dangerous job.

If it was a guest at the park, then yeah, $75,000 is **** all.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I don't like the article in the first post saying the trainer died doing what she loved. I would be terrified if the animal I was interacting with decided to grab me and drag underwater.
It's on the same level as if I was doing painting, and I slipped and impaled myself on my paint brushes and landed facedown in cleaning water/paint and drowned.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
^ No, not really a fitting analogy. More like if you were a lion trainer, and it decided to attack you. Working with deadly animals can't really be compared to being a painter. The levels of jobrisk are incomparable.