What's new

S&S launched coaster for Happy Valley Shenzhen

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The only thing that ruins it is that SLC in the background of that one picture. The theming does look really good, and it seems to have a pretty decent layout.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Can't really comment on the theming as I feel like all we've seen so far is a few walls and a piece of propeller, nice though they are it isn't very extensive, but I suppose it is enough. The name of the coaster is a bit pants, but then I guess this is Chine, home of such imaginative names as '10 Inversion Roller Coaster' and 'Dive Coaster', so I guess it can be forgiven.

The colours are a bit meh for me, I usually like to see something vibrant, this is too 'modern' for me I suppose.

The layout itself looks really thrilling, hopefully there'll be some impressive airtime on those hills. Hopefully we'll continue seeing some more of their innovative efforts in the future! (And hopefully somewhere closer than the land of the rising sun....).

andrus

Giga Poster
^All we've seen so far is a few walls and a piece of propeller? There's way more than that baby! There's the entire snowy mountain thing the ride wraps around (hence the name), the boat the ride drops through when it goes under water and random other stuff!! :--D Looks brilliant imo!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
nadroJ said:
The name of the coaster is a bit pants, but then I guess this is Chine, home of such imaginative names as '10 Inversion Roller Coaster' and 'Dive Coaster', so I guess it can be forgiven.

What you have to remember though, it's that that's what they use as the English names. The actual Chinese names (for the 99.99% of people who ride those coasters) are usually not the same at all. They often just slap generic English names on them, based on ride type; they're not usually translations of the actual names for the coasters.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Sticking it through a translator it's "Shangri-La Snow".

So, again, the English name is just something generic, possibly even the name of the coaster type that S&S have given.

EDIT - Just thought that Happy Valley Shenzhen has a themed area called Shangi-La Forest, so that makes complete sense.

Just checked RCDB, and it's listed as Shangri-La Snowfield there as well.

Snoo

The Legend
Thats quite interesting. I wonder why some parks don't just Google translate the names rather then spank some genericness on it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Because it really doesn't matter given how such a tiny, tiny minority of their visitors are non-Chinese.

Going completely off topic, but out of interest I thought I'd stick a few more through the translator to see what came up:

Crystal Wings' actual Chinese name is Crystal Wings of God

Extreme Rusher = Ultimate Speed

The English sign for the SLC at Happy Valley Shenzhen is just "Suspended Looping Coaster", when the actual name translates as "Snow Dragon"

G5 = Flying Submarine G5

Roller Coaster (Beijing Amusement Park) - Helix Scooter

Spinning Batman - The Red Bat

The coasters at Chimelong really do just have a descriptive, generic name though, based on the model type:

10 Inversion Roller Coaster - 10 Ring Roller Coaster

Dive Coaster - Vertical Coaster

Motorbike Launch Coaster - Motorcycle Roller Coaster

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
For some reason, I just love the look of the coaster. It fits well in the area and the colors aren't too striking. I can't wait to see some testing videos.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
If you look closely, they're testing with most of the restraints up.

This ride looks so much fun. The theming is nice, the layout looks great, the colors are good, the trains look comfortable...even the supports look sweet. I want one in the US.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
So, they still have a long way to go on this.

There were "adjustments" being made all over the ride. As in: Sections of drops being cut and raised a centimeter or less, being re-welded into place and grounded down until smooth again. Completely weird.

michaellll

Mega Poster
^Hmm, that's a bit of a knock on S&S engineering. Sucks for them. Those kind of problems are the kind that would scare future parks from buying S&S. :(

andrus

Giga Poster
These two caosters are the first large costum layouts made by S&S and there'll always be some child diseases. Dodonpa and Hypersonic XLC were both much simpler layouts plus they utilized a completely different technology with I-beam track and tire wheels. The 4th dimension design is an Arrow product and Ejanaika is only a slightly larger version of X2 but with essentially the same design. One can argue that S&S already has made a successful complicated layout with Powder Keg and should know what thay're doing, but this is at a much larger scale..

I'm completely confident that S&S will get this running soon and that they'll iron out the problems for their future installments!