Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roller Coaster TV Programs and News Articles!

Discussion in 'General Discussions & Opinions' started by danielfitzgerald99, Dec 17, 2007.

1. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

So I have had a constructive few days (!) watching those ;)

Most of the episodes are basically the same format - common theme for the episode, couple of pet-goons embarrass themselves by saying silly
    things (that they don't really believe) about the ride/park, presenter chap (who is pretty good) watches the ride for a while and chats
    to some marketing bod/ride-op/engineer then voxpops a couple of punters getting off. Presenter chap then rides the coaster (in excitable
    mode, and messes his hairstyle up most times), after the ride a couple more talking heads (who probably have never been on a roller
    coaster in their lives) discuss presenter chap's bio-responses to the ride (bit tenuous that bit to be honest, seem to be saying the same
    thing most times - but hey; "science"). Presenter chap then explains a bit more "science" about the ride with the help of pencil and paper
    or random confectionery.

...repeat for the next ride - 4 rides per show.

#1 "Speed" : Mammut, Hollywood Rip-Ride-Rockit, Velocity, Furius Baco
    #2 "Falling" : Big Dipper (Blackpool), Expedition GeForce, Hurakan Condor, Sky Coaster (Fun Spot)
    #3 "Height" : Big One, SheiKra, Magnus Colossus, Shambala
    #4 "Inversions" : Turbo, G Force, Kumali, Dragon Khan
    #5 "Length" : T'Ultimate, Silver Star, Kraken, Hasenhorn Rodelbahn (Alpine)
    #6 "Psychological Tricks" : EuroSat (+ lights on), Karacho, Shockwave, SkyScream
    #7 "Fun" : White Lightning, Badewannenfahrt zum Jungbrunnen (Tripsdrill), The Edge (Paultons), Poseidon

Last episode is a bit different, bit more explain-y;
    #8 "Design" : Alpenexpress with/without the VR, Mack rides factory, Ferrari World construction, Skyplex (ha!), messing about in No Limits (presenter chap out-embarrassing the pet-goons here :) )

Seems like the presenter bits were filmed Autumn 2015, the pet-goons could perhaps tell us how long ago they were filmed? ;-)

Series has been airing on Sky in the UK since October I think though, so we are poor goons for not knowing about it before (you'd think
    the pet-goons might have told us about it?). Might have only just all become available on line though (Here : https://www.insight.tv/category/science-of-thrills )

Good job overall though - wonder if they'll get to make any more and get a bit more variety (further than a trip to Spain, trip to Germany
    and a bit of Florida I mean).

EDIT : slightly changed URL for the episodes ; https://www.insight.tv/category/science-of-thrills-1

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. Ian

Ian From CoasterForce Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Outlaw Run
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Our goon pieces were filmed in January and March 2015. There was talk about a second series.

Pokemaniac and davidm like this.
  3. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

Wow - not on a tight production schedule then! :)

4. Jamesss

Jamesss Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    Magic Kingdom
    Coaster Count:
    Found time to watch all 8 episodes this week and I thought it was a really good series.

The presenter guy comes across a bit over-enthusiastic at first but he does seem to know his stuff and he grows on you.

It was nice to see a documentary that uses lots of coaster lingo and uses it correctly. Some of the backstage stuff I found rather interesting.

I thought the two science-y people featured seemed to run out of things to say after a while. As for the two enthusiasts... well... they were alright I guess. ;)

Certainly wouldn't mind a second series.

5. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    I described the presenter as being 'Richard Hammond, if you took away everything that's likeable about Richard Hammond'. I've only watched one episode so far, so maybe he'll grow on me. I didn't like the way he claimed to be an enthusiast, then acted like he'd never been on any of the rides before and was impressed by things like Kumali and Magnus Colossus. I also thought there were a fair amount of factual errors in the stats, which I'm surprised I'm not the first person to point out. I didn't think the psychology 'expert' needed to be there either - a lot of the time, she appeared to be stating the blindingly obvious.

Having said all that - our CF contributors did themselves proud and publicity can never be a bad thing - and neither can coasters on TV, especially in the depths of a cold, dark off-season.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    I'm really enjoying this programme. I actually like the presenter's enthusiasm and I love all the backstage stuff as well.
    The science bits become pointless, as Jamesss pointed out they seem to be saying the same thing each time.
    For someone though who doesn't really understand the engineering side of coasters, it does a pretty good job of explaining it.
    Would definitely be good to see more!

7. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

Sounds like (I haven't watched it) Blackpool was on that "Portillo tops up his healthy pension riding on trains for the BBC" show last night...

8. Ian

Ian From CoasterForce Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Outlaw Run
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    ^ Yes, I watched it (by chance, I have to add!) on Monday night. The Pleasure beach section (at the start) was great - full of brilliant old clips and some interesting facts. Worth a watch!

9. GuyWithAStick

GuyWithAStick Captain Basic Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Holiday World
    Coaster Count:
    It's not TV per-say, but when I was watching the trailer for 'A Monster Calls', I noticed a bit of BPB in one of the shots(on PMBO I think?). It was a nice surprise for me when I first saw it.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

10. Mysterious Sue

Mysterious Sue Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Schwur des Kärnan
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Just gave the first episode of The Science of Thrills a go. I forgot it was even a thing. Much better than I was expecting, although not sure the rides they picked to show off speed were the ones I would. Will definitely watch the rest. Assuming they couldn't get Merlin to play ball?

Hope Flamingoland paid you to say that ;p

11. Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Air
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:
    In the final film there's a sequence at BPB which mainly involves Infusion rather than the Big One. There's more of the Big One in the trailer!

12. Hixee

Hixee Most Knowledgeable Member 2016 Staff Member Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    I couldn't see a comparable topic for items in the paper (although I'm sure I've seen one), so thought I'd amend the topic title for this one instead.

IfCF featured again in the paper (the i, for those wondering), passed on to me by a colleague. They did ask how many of these I'd ridden, but I decided not to point out that they're under construction at the moment, and simply said "I have plans to ride a couple of these over the coming years". :p

[​IMG]

Good work @Ian!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Pokemaniac likes this.
  13. witchfinder

witchfinder Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    PortAventura
    Coaster Count:
    Whilst browsing Amazon Prime Video I found this:

Haven't watched it yet so no idea what the quality is like and I suspect it will be quite superficial in detail, but might be of interest as a freebie to Prime subscribers.

14. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

If you keep hold of it, perhaps he'll autograph it for you? TV and print goon-star now! :)

15. Ian

Best Coaster:
    Outlaw Run
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I knew it was going to go online (and it has been for a week or so), but never knew it it was going to be printed. Gutted I never got myself a copy. Booo!

16. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

17. MestnyiGeroi

MestnyiGeroi Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Phoenix
    Best Park:
    Knoebels
    Coaster Count:
    It's probably been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but lately I've been enjoying the PBS doc Great Old Amusement Parks. Not for those who want an emphasis on thrill rides, but if you like the history and atmosphere of old American amusement parks, it's enjoyable.

18. Hyde

Hyde Matt SR Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
  19. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

Right now (UK 1pm) on YESTERDAY channel (537 on $ky) - "Impossible Engineering" S3 Ep11 - all about Kingda Ka and such...

Link to a stream of it ;