What's new

Roller Coaster TV Programs and News Articles!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Found time to watch all 8 episodes this week and I thought it was a really good series.

The presenter guy comes across a bit over-enthusiastic at first but he does seem to know his stuff and he grows on you.

It was nice to see a documentary that uses lots of coaster lingo and uses it correctly. Some of the backstage stuff I found rather interesting.

I thought the two science-y people featured seemed to run out of things to say after a while. As for the two enthusiasts... well... they were alright I guess. ;)

Certainly wouldn't mind a second series.

Will

Strata Poster
I described the presenter as being 'Richard Hammond, if you took away everything that's likeable about Richard Hammond'. I've only watched one episode so far, so maybe he'll grow on me. I didn't like the way he claimed to be an enthusiast, then acted like he'd never been on any of the rides before and was impressed by things like Kumali and Magnus Colossus. I also thought there were a fair amount of factual errors in the stats, which I'm surprised I'm not the first person to point out. I didn't think the psychology 'expert' needed to be there either - a lot of the time, she appeared to be stating the blindingly obvious.

Having said all that - our CF contributors did themselves proud and publicity can never be a bad thing - and neither can coasters on TV, especially in the depths of a cold, dark off-season.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I'm really enjoying this programme. I actually like the presenter's enthusiasm and I love all the backstage stuff as well.
The science bits become pointless, as Jamesss pointed out they seem to be saying the same thing each time.
For someone though who doesn't really understand the engineering side of coasters, it does a pretty good job of explaining it.
Would definitely be good to see more!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Yes, I watched it (by chance, I have to add!) on Monday night. The Pleasure beach section (at the start) was great - full of brilliant old clips and some interesting facts. Worth a watch!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
It's not TV per-say, but when I was watching the trailer for 'A Monster Calls', I noticed a bit of BPB in one of the shots(on PMBO I think?). It was a nice surprise for me when I first saw it.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Just gave the first episode of The Science of Thrills a go. I forgot it was even a thing. Much better than I was expecting, although not sure the rides they picked to show off speed were the ones I would. Will definitely watch the rest. Assuming they couldn't get Merlin to play ball?

Hope Flamingoland paid you to say that ;p

Robbie

Hyper Poster
It's not TV per-say, but when I was watching the trailer for 'A Monster Calls', I noticed a bit of BPB in one of the shots(on PMBO I think?). It was a nice surprise for me when I first saw it.
In the final film there's a sequence at BPB which mainly involves Infusion rather than the Big One. There's more of the Big One in the trailer!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I couldn't see a comparable topic for items in the paper (although I'm sure I've seen one), so thought I'd amend the topic title for this one instead.

IfCF featured again in the paper (the i, for those wondering), passed on to me by a colleague. They did ask how many of these I'd ridden, but I decided not to point out that they're under construction at the moment, and simply said "I have plans to ride a couple of these over the coming years". :p

t_zpsnqownj0x.jpg

Good work @Ian!

Last edited:

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Whilst browsing Amazon Prime Video I found this:

Haven't watched it yet so no idea what the quality is like and I suspect it will be quite superficial in detail, but might be of interest as a freebie to Prime subscribers.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I knew it was going to go online (and it has been for a week or so), but never knew it it was going to be printed. Gutted I never got myself a copy. Booo!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
It's probably been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but lately I've been enjoying the PBS doc Great Old Amusement Parks. Not for those who want an emphasis on thrill rides, but if you like the history and atmosphere of old American amusement parks, it's enjoyable.

davidm

Strata Poster
Right now (UK 1pm) on YESTERDAY channel (537 on $ky) - "Impossible Engineering" S3 Ep11 - all about Kingda Ka and such...

Link to a stream of it ;

mouse

Giga Poster
There's gonna be a new series on ITV called 'The Big Audition' following the casting process of various acting jobs, one of which will be for Thorpe Park's halloween attractions:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a856363/thorpe-park-rides-itv-walking-dead-ride-big-audition/
http://www.itv.com/beontv/shows/thebigaudition

Not sure if it will be a proper documentary or more of a reality show/talent competition. Auditions aren't until later this summer so will be while before it ends up on TV. I will certainly be sure to forget to watch then not be bothered about missing it!