What's new

Robb Alvey's Theme Parks of Asia Tour!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Patrick said:
Was it really neccesary to post that? I was eating.

So was the chicken when some bastard came along and chopped it's head off - get things into perspective!!! ;)

robbalvey

Roller Poster
We are now in Hong Kong!

We have checked into the Disney Hollywood Hotel on the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort and then we have headed out to Ocean Park.

I knew that Ocean Park was in the middle of a huge expansion project, but what I didn't know is that the construction is so massive that it spreads to both sides of the mountain and it looks like more than half of the animal side of the park has been leveled and it's being re-built!

It doesn't leave much to do on that side of the park but when it's all done in 2012 it should be amazing! The new expansion even includes a tunnel that connects both sides together.

While we didn't visit Disneyland today we did spend some time at the resort and the hotel. I for one absolutely *love* the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort and if it wasn't for the unfortunate fact that the park still has very few attractions this would be my favorite Magic Kingdom behind Tokyo Disney. But I'll get to that more in our HKDL update!

oceanpark_01_182.jpg

Hello Ocean Park! How's the family been treating you?

oceanpark_02_501.jpg

From the entrance to the Cable Car ride you can see the massive construction project that includes the tunnel to the other of the mountain.

oceanpark_05_184.jpg

The Cable Car ride is still amazing and terrifying at the same time.

oceanpark_06_208.jpg

"This is PURE SNOW! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"

oceanpark_09_175.jpg

Here is... "The Dragon"...Arrow at it's coat hanger finest!

oceanpark_10_877.jpg

Rough Coaster...great view!

oceanpark_18_109.jpg

Ocean Park's mine train is the coaster with one of the best views in the world!

asia16_115.jpg

That is really hard to top!

oceanpark_21_553.jpg

Oh, yeah, that's the money shot!

oceanpark_24_141.jpg

This is pretty much the rides side of the park.

oceanpark_29_301.jpg

The top of the mountain is all under construction.

oceanpark_34_164.jpg

Reverse POV of the cable car!

oceanpark_33_307.jpg

KidTums has got that Asian "peace" photo taking thing down!

oceanpark_39_274.jpg

The other side of the park has been practically gutted. The only thing really left to do on this side of the park is the giant balloon and the pooping pandas.

oceanpark_41_533.jpg

Here we go! Cross your fingers that they will be pooping.

oceanpark_42_192.jpg

Even better!

oceanpark_44_195.jpg

"Mommy, how much longer until he poops out that bamboo?"

oceanpark_48_183.jpg

We made a brief stop to Avenue of Stars so everyone could check out the Hong Kong skyline.

oceanpark_59_150.jpg

We went back and checked out the Disney Hollywood Hotel.

oceanpark_54_161.jpg

We went for an amazing dinner at Chef Mickey's.

oceanpark_61_178.jpg

Chip N Dale where there so I tried to have my way with them...

oceanpark_62_849.jpg

That of course wouldn't fly with Elissa around...

oceanpark_63_172.jpg

They saw that KidTums was totally crashed out....

oceanpark_64_755.jpg

And took her off to their treehouse while we had dinner...

oceanpark_65_130.jpg

Disney has such awesome babysitting service!

Next up....Hong Kong Disneyland!

More to come soon!

--Robb Alvey

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Robb, you post some awesome trip reports and it makes me want to do a TPR trip sometime, but I wouldn't be able to afford it. By the way, I've been meaning to ask you what your top ten is, seeing as you've been on rides like the Plug n' plays, EGF, Maverick, Goliath(WW), S:ROS, and a bunch of other world class coasters.

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Today was our first of two days at Hong Kong Disneyland. While some people went off to Macau to do crazy things like jump off the tower, Elissa and I decided we would take KidTums to Disneyland!

Now first off, I do want to say that I absolutely *love* the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. I do not believe it deserves the bad rap it's gotten over the years.

The problem with the park is that there just isn't enough to do and when this park does fill in I think it would be my 2nd favorite Magic Kingdom behind Tokyo Disneyland. The park has all the charm, spirit and customer service as Tokyo Disneyland, just not the ride selection.

Anyway, onto some photos! (note - I will warn you that there will be a LOT of photos and probably even a few Disney dorky ones as well...)

hkdl_03_386.jpg

Welcome to Hong Kong Disneyland KidTums!

hkdl_04_179.jpg

Much of Hong Kong Disneyland was based off Disneyland in California. So much so that some people may not even be able to tell the difference.

hkdl_06_610.jpg

Wait...are you serious? You can upgrade to an annual pass for just.... THIRTY EIGHT DOLLARS?!!?

hkdl_11_527.jpg

There are many "small castle" jokes that can be made here and I'm sure you've heard them all...but for now I'll just stick with "The castle may be small, but it still makes Joey jealous."

hkdl_09_160.jpg

OMG! The marching band has blocked out the castle!!!!

hkdl_13_380.jpg

Here is something the park did that I wish the other Disney parks would do also...they hand out instructions on how to use Fast Pass! Other Disney parks listen up. The IDIOTS out there need this! Don't just put it in the guide book that they will never read anyway, HAND THEM SOMETHING to read...or better yet, create a "book on tape" for how to use fast pass!

hkdl_19_548.jpg

It's no Tokyo, but at least it's not the California version!

hkdl_131_940.jpg

Chapter 11. As in "if the park doesn't do better soon, it may have to file for Chapter 11...."

hkdl_179_871.jpg

It's a Small World...yup...this was the new kid on the block, the bad-ass new attraction, the dogs bollocks, etc, etc....

hkdl_22_687.jpg

Yeah, it pretty much looked like Small World as seen in all the other Disney parks...

hkdl_24_183.jpg

So for the most part this version of Small World looks like all the other ones...except for one change...there are now popular Disney characters scattered throughout the ride. Now I had heard all the Disney purists moan and complain about this how it "ruins It's a Small World", blah, blah, blah....

This is what I have to say about it...first off...it's freaking It's a Small World...so you pretty much need to do SOMETHING to get me to come back in. And secondly, I thought the Disney characters were really well done and a very nice and welcome addition! There are apparently 38 of them, I think we found most of them below...

hkdl_182_381.jpg

There was Bambi and Thumper hanging out in the snow....

hkdl_183_182.jpg

One of the prissy Astriocats looking all bitchy...

hkdl_184_180.jpg

Peter Pan, Wendy, and Tinkerbell hovering above London.

hkdl_185_594.jpg

I think this is either Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty with her latest dude of the week.

hkdl_186_284.jpg

The 16-bit Sega Genesis version of Pinnocchio.

hkdl_187_148.jpg

Aladdin has that smile on his face because he knows the perfect place to park that carpet!

hkdl_188_142.jpg

Abu doing his East Los Angeles impression.

hkdl_189_248.jpg

Some Lion King dudes in there somewhere...

hkdl_190_129.jpg

TRON?!!?!?

hkdl_191_589.jpg

Donald and his pals doing the Mexican thing.

hkdl_192_803.jpg

Poke-My-Hauntus

hkdl_193_717.jpg

There really is a "boy gets girl" theme going on here...

hkdl_194_115.jpg

Baloo and Short Round.

hkdl_195_361.jpg

The Little Mermaid looking as HOT as ever! (C'mon...who DOESN'T want to bang Ariel?)

hkdl_196_202.jpg

Lilo & Stich in Hawaii (of course!)

hkdl_36_205.jpg

Shake it girls!!! Yeeeeeaaaahhhh! "If I had some Hong Kong Dollars I'd be putting them in your grass skirt!"

hkdl_198_188.jpg

Seriously, we all loved it! As much crap as this ride gets, this was a really good version of it!

hkdl_43_135.jpg

Kristen was being assimilated by the corporate rat. She looked very cute.

hkdl_45_207.jpg

Dave also was being assimilated but he is not so cute. In fact, just moments after taking this photo we started to claw our eyeballs out because we couldn't stand the sight of half-Dave, half-girly rodent anymore.

hkdl_47_855.jpg

Buzz Lightyear was pretty much the same as all the other versions.

hkdl_48_860.jpg

"Pixel Mickey & Minnie" were all the rage at Hong Kong Disneyland. They were very cool...almost a throwback to the "NES Video Game" days.

hkdl_50_107.jpg

It's odd (and for Elissa very cool) how prominent Chip & Dale are here in all the Merchandise. It's almost like they and Stitch are the 'secondary' main characters behind Mickey, Minnie, Donald, & Pluto in Asia. Turns out these toys were VERY cool! You can attach them all together, and the more you attach, the more songs they play and the more moves they do! Why don't we have this cool stuff in the US?!?!?

hkdl_52_196.jpg

Entrance to Tomorrowland....yup!

hkdl_55_194.jpg

There really was not many people at the park today. It was kind of sad really. During our first visit a couple of years ago the places was PACKED! This park is fantastic and with a lack of attractions I think
comes a lack of people. Hopefully they will fix this problem soon.

hkdl_56_124.jpg

When was the last time you saw a Magic Kingdom this dead?

hkdl_57_932.jpg

We see you Space Mountain!

hkdl_59_862.jpg

There are only three lands other than Main Street - Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Adventureland.

hkdl_60_191.jpg

The Jungle River Cruise is the "badass" version of the traditional Jungle Cruise.

hkdl_62_121.jpg

It's in three different languages and it's "Dan Friendly"

hkdl_66_202.jpg

"...Licensed by Nintendo"

hkdl_68_296.jpg

Elephant in water or Robb taking a shower...you decide!

hkdl_71_192.jpg

Jungle Cruise + Fire = Awesome!

hkdl_72_160.jpg

Adding fire and explosions to anything instantly improves it!

hkdl_82_703.jpg

I know I've seen these dudes somewhere before...

hkdl_83_316.jpg

"Where is everyone!?!?"

hkdl_84_970.jpg

Those of you who grew up with Disneyland in California probably can appreciate this...

hkdl_93_964.jpg

Lunch Time!!!

hkdl_94_619.jpg

Oh, man...all that looks yummy!

hkdl_98_795.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what it is...but it looks really good!

hkdl_99_143.jpg

"Around the world with Elissa and plain pasta."

hkdl_108_108.jpg

WUUUUULLLLLFFFFFF!!!!!!

hkdl_109_302.jpg

Professor Honeydew & Beaker made their way down Main Street talking to guests, spraying them with water and basically being both cool and creepy at the same time!

hkdl_113_180.jpg

Just in case we forget what her name is!

hkdl_116_392.jpg

We could be in California...we could be in Hong Kong.

hkdl_02_578.jpg

Don't worry Hong Kong Disneyland...we will be back tomorrow!

Next up...MORE Hong Kong Disneyland Photos with SPACE MOUNTAIN!!! Oooh! Ahhhh!!!!

--Robb Alvey

Goliath123

Mega Poster
Once again Rob you have brang back old memories. You got lucky the day you went, the average queu for SM for me was about 30 mins.

Ollie

CF Legend
Ooh. Some great photos yet again. :D
Sounds like you're having a great time.
I also agree that the Disney characters in 'It's a Small World' is an improvement, but it's still crap. :p

robbalvey

Roller Poster
As promised, here is MORE Hong Kong Disneyland!!!

hkdl_141_192.jpg

Our 2nd day was one of our best Disney days ever! We started out with ERT on Space Mountain!

hkdl_171_106.jpg

"That's right! We're all on Space Mountain and YOU'RE NOT...so THERE!"

hkdl_172_118.jpg

"This is what ERT should be like!"

hkdl_173_108.jpg

And if Space Mountain wasn't enough we also had ERT on Buzz Lightyear!

hkdl_174_654.jpg

TPR members with guns...probably not the best idea!

hkdl_168_461.jpg

Thank you to Hong Kong Disneyland from TPR for all the awesome ERT this morning!

hkdl_175_209.jpg

Next up was a take over of the Autopia. We tried "Death Race" rules, but that didn't go over so well at Disneyland! =)

hkdl_177_212.jpg

What a nice view of Space Mountain from the Autopia.

hkdl_178_199.jpg

Jewy is licensed to drive in at least one country now.

hkdl_210_158.jpg

OMG! Mickey is cheating on Minnie! With an 18 month old!!!!

hkdl_214_481.jpg

Awww! Now mommy wants in on the hot rodent action.

hkdl_215_462.jpg

It takes a small castle to make Jewy feel like a man!

hkdl_105_197.jpg

"Silence.....of the lambs!!!"

hkdl_205_939.jpg

Dave and Joey auditioned for the band. They were told never attempt to play a musical instrument again!

hkdl_218_115.jpg

Since when is eating a competition in the Special Olympics?

hkdl_224_937.jpg

DETAIL SHOT!!!

hkdl_227_119.jpg

If you like Nightmare Before Christmas then you NEED to get out to Hong Kong Disneyland!

hkdl_200_204.jpg

HA! Joey is the same size as Alice!

hkdl_166_323.jpg

We headed back to our hotel (Hollywood Hotel) which was AWESOME! Top notch Disney resort.

hkdl_162_323.jpg

All the chocolate covered strawberrys you can eat!

hkdl_155_183.jpg

The fireworks show is a bit different...it's more ground based pyro than air. Which is cool as it ads a bit of variety.

hkdl_153_205.jpg

Lots of stuff is set off right on the castle.

hkdl_156_168.jpg

And did we mention there are fire cannons? Adding fire to anything makes it cool!

hkdl_223_104.jpg

There IS a castle down there somewhere. If you squint you might be able to see it! =)

hkdl_169_157.jpg

We want to say THANK YOU again to Hong Kong Disneyland for making our time spent here AWESOME!

Next stop...KOREA! Next park...LOTTE WORLD!

We had just visited South Korea in 2008, but with T-Express just opened and we were not that far away, how could we not make at very least a quick trip? That we did! We figured we would also visit (and stay on property) at Lotte World, which, IMO, is one of the nicest parks in the world, especially for an indoor park.

Lotte World is one of those parks where I can spend a couple of hours just walking around the place in amazement that it's all contained within the walls of a shopping mall for the indoor portion and over/under ground for the outdoor portion.

We also worked out a film shoot on Atlantis Adventure so we could get some great footage and lots of rides! Last year we waited almost 90 minutes for our one ride, this year we rode the crap out of it for over an hour!

I'm not sure where exactly I'd place Atlantis Adventure but it's truly "up there" as one of the most unique, most fun coasters in the world. Top 20 or 25 for me, and from someone that's been on well over 1,000 coasters, that's saying a lot!

Anyway on to some photos and just for you all a bonus VIDEO!!! Enjoy!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/tprtv/play.php?vid=atlantis2008_640

Here is a new POV of Atlantis Adventure for all of you! Enjoy! (Sorry for the link - I couldn't get the embedding to work)

lotteworld_34_193.jpg

Oh, good...the bus brought us to Lotte World instead of Nara Dreamland...but what do those two parks have in common? That's right! They both have a castle bigger than Disneyland's! =)

lotteworld_22_116.jpg

Of course we were here for Atlantis Adventure...so that's what we did!

lotteworld_19_101.jpg

Atlantis Adventure is currently the world's only Intamin "Aqua Trax"...unless of course you count Maverick at Cedar Point as well! =)

lotteworld_05_652.jpg

Here is the first launch on the ride. Sexy, no?

lotteworld_10_180.jpg

Here you can see the "aqua" portion of the ride.

lotteworld_16_100.jpg

We learned the hard way last year that the Korean's make a sport out of soaking passengers on the ride.

lotteworld_17_171.jpg

Here's how it's done....if you're in the last 2 rows you can stick your hand out of the car and reach the water below...

lotteworld_11_120.jpg

It creates a massive wave, and oddly enough a fatter looking version of Rich's face.

lotteworld_12_125.jpg

After the wave is created Rich's face goes back to normal and the passenger behind him looks like he just had a golden shower with an elephant. (And the only thing that would turn Jeff on even more is if that elephant was crushing bugs.)

lotteworld_14_184.jpg

The ride is awesome....you can see how compact it is.

lotteworld_21_801.jpg

The theming is impressive too. When you walk up to the ride, you can't see most of it! It's inside the giant castle/mountain/whatever it is.

lotteworld_23_123.jpg

And of course after riding the Aqua Trax for an hour there was really only one thing to do.

lotteworld_24_726.jpg

That's right....ride the bizarr-o underground spinning coaster where you get swallowed by a giant monster...no, I'm NOT making this up!!!

lotteworld_28_197.jpg

When you get old...you require at least 26 plates in order to eat lunch.

lotteworld_36_640.jpg

Now it's time for the creepy giant teeth monster dark ride.

lotteworld_39_200.jpg

"Hmmm...I wonder which of those beans turns the blob into a ladder?"

lotteworld_41_594.jpg

OMG! I just died and went to meat-on-stick heaven!

lotteworld_72_674.jpg

The indoor part of the park is just amazing looking....

lotteworld_75_388.jpg

Yeah, that's right, this is all INDOORS!!!

lotteworld_62_695.jpg

From the interiour of the park, you can see the entrance to the rides, but the actual show building is set back even further beyond the walls of the park, or in some cases underground!

lotteworld_69_162.jpg

This absolutely is the best "Indy rip-off" ever...in fact, in some ways it's BETTER than the actual Indy ride!

lotteworld_54_841.jpg

Oh, no! Don't look into the eyes! You will start rapid aging!!!

lotteworld_56_149.jpg

Too late!

lotteworld_58_113.jpg

HISS!!! HISSY HISS HISS!!! HISS!!!

lotteworld_66_162.jpg

The queue is also equally well themed...(yeah, this is the queue!)

lotteworld_67_175.jpg

"Here we are...still in the queue!"

lotteworld_52_116.jpg

BLARRGGGHHHHH!!! BLEEGGGHHH!!! BLEECCCHHH!!!

lotteworld_43_119.jpg

Here is the outside...

lotteworld_44_101.jpg

Looking awesome...

lotteworld_73_211.jpg

And inside looking equally as cool.

lotteworld_76_124.jpg

Except for the Vekoma death machine...that's the only amount of suckiness at the indoor section.

lotteworld_59_161.jpg

And yes, the ride on pandas can also be found here too!

lotteworld_78_106.jpg

After a full day at Lotte World what else do you do except drink ELEVEN beers!

lotteworld_79_163.jpg

Here's to Lotte World, Atlantis Adventure, and....um....ELEVEN BEERS!

lotteworld_60_921.jpg

KidTums says "I'm cute dammit! Send me stuff!!!"

Next up...Everland and...OMG...T-Express!!!

Snoo

The Legend
It was nice to meet you in August robb.. keep the trip reports coming! Can't wait for a few T-Express shots.

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Next up on the trip agenda was Everland!

Now for those of you who have watched our Eagle's Fortess Video (and if you haven't download it now) you'll know that Everland is home to the best Arrow Suspended coaster in the world which also turned out to be one of our top ten coasters overall! (And if you want to see how an Arrow Suspended lands in someone's top ten out of over 1,000 coasters, download that video!)

This year Everland has built "T-Express" (The T comes from the Korean Mobile company T World who sponsors the ride) and this could be one of the best wooden roller coasters in the world, and for many of our group is was #1!

The story goes like this...we asked the project manager about the ride and he simply said "We rode Balder, then we rode El Toro...we asked Intamin if we could have BOTH."

And that's pretty much what they got! It's like a mini El Toro plus Balder!

Since our visit T Express has gone on to be ranked the #1 wood coaster in the world which has brought forth much controversy. If you are one of the many people who rank El Toro very highly chances are this ride will beat our Toro on your list. If you're not into the type of ride that is El Toro, this may not be your thing. I'll let the photos and the video speak for themselves....

T Express Video:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/tprtv/pl ... _youtube_5

everland02_537.jpg

"Hi everyone! We are all here to ride one of the top roller coasters in the world....why aren't you here with us?!?!?"

everland04_500.jpg

So the next series of photos will basically be "coaster porn" starting with this one right as you exit the station. Check out how massive this ride is and it's built right against the side of the mountain!

everland05_995.jpg

Hello Mr. Cable lift hill! We are glad you don't slow down as much as your cousin El Toro in the US!

everland06_147.jpg

If that hill doesn't scream "pop my cherry" I don't know what does!

everland21_205.jpg

Yeah...I think that is what's happening here! =)

everland20_105.jpg

Hellllllloooooo 77 degree drop!

everland07_252.jpg

That should be known as the sea of airtime!

everland18_980.jpg

Or maybe "hairtime!"

everland08_304.jpg

Um...there is a bottom to that drop right? RIGHT?!?!?

everland69_685.jpg

This is hands down the best first drop on any wooden roller coaster in the world!

everland09_262.jpg

And this second drop ain't half bad too! =)

everland10_131.jpg

Mmmm.....nice curves baby!

everland11_179.jpg

The drop off the midcourse into...well... "Balder"

everland12_206.jpg

Balder in the foreground, El Toro in the background!

everland24_747.jpg

Get ready for EXTREME HAIR MAKEOVER!!!

everland14_145.jpg

Hmm...I've suddenly got the urge to buy a mobile phone but I'm not sure why.

everland15_570.jpg

Head choppers anyone?

everland17_623.jpg

Good luck down in front!

everland26_249.jpg

Could this hill be the most extreme airtime ever?

everland28_178.jpg

Seriously the ride is airtime hill after airtime hill. It never lets up! If airtime is your thing you HAVE to come ride this!

everland29_112.jpg

I do believe everyone looks just a skosh happy! =)

everland60_160.jpg

At night, T-Express got even better!

everland61_209.jpg

Even without all the Halloween decorations it was eerily creepy and awesome!

everland31_171.jpg

Ok, so enough T-Express...now on to some other stuff! The park also has a lot of animals (think Busch Gardens Tampa) along with the rides. This one is the Zoo in SPAAAAACE!

everland32_189.jpg

Dammit! Every time I took a picture of these guys my browser crashes!

everland33_180.jpg

Just in case you wanted to try flying...here's how!

everland36_149.jpg

"These don't taste anything like Polar Bears!"

everland37_989.jpg

"Hey! C'mon now! Enough with the damn scooby snacks! Throw me that kid!!!"

everland39_204.jpg

NICE BEAVER!!!

everland43_214.jpg

This one is for you Mr. Turtle.

everland46_175.jpg

Aha! A Camel...you know what that means! That's right...

everland47_157.jpg

CAMEL TOE!!!

everland49_155.jpg

Just in case you forgot there is awesomeness right around the corner.

everland50_110.jpg

We attempted to watch the parade which included a sun and a giant Taco...

everland51_154.jpg

KidTums was more confused than anything else!

everland56_109.jpg

"Um, excuse me sir, are you aware that you have a smiley face pumpkin on your a$$?"

everland59_162.jpg

"Now how to I shift this Panda into 2nd gear again?"

everland65_870.jpg

Mmmm...Eagle's Fortress...an hour of ERT... *AT NIGHT*

everland66_116.jpg

"This is number TWO in the world...behind T-Express!" =)

everland67_178.jpg

Seriously, this ride is freaking AMAZING!!! We would post more photos, but there was nothing to see. They turned out the lights for us and it was PITCH BLACK Arrow Suspended awesomeness!!!!

everland68_195.jpg

"Do you think they will let me ride?" Sorry KidTums you have to wait until later...and who knows, maybe this ride will have new trains on it by then! (I didn't say that outloud, did I?)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the T-Express video! Another new update coming soon!

Here again are the links to those videos:

T Express:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/tprtv/pl ... _youtube_5

Eagle's Fortress:
http://themeparkreview.com/tprtv/play.p ... lefortress

robbalvey

Roller Poster
The last stop in Korea would be more of a "Credit Whore Day" that included Seoul Land and Children's Grand Park.

Nothing at either of these parks is amazing, in fact, some of the coasters are downright brutal and confusing!

But then again, we had just had a day and night full of T-Express so pretty much after that anything else is going to suck!

I will say that Seoul Land seemed much improved from our visit last year. The entire park looked like it got a coat of paint and a lot of TLC.

Anyway, onto some photos and a VIDEO!!!

seoulland47_617.jpg

Today our method of transportation would be KOREAN SUBWAY!!!

seoulland48_669.jpg

The "20" actually refers to how many rides they have ripped off from other parks.

seoulland49_102.jpg

With Spaceship Earth being #1

seoulland12_958.jpg

No, really! It's actually called SPACE SHIP EARTH!!!

seoulland52_197.jpg

The Wild Mouse had a bit of a delayed opening because, um....he was kind of tied down at the moment...

seoulland54_214.jpg

Cars LOOK like this should be a Wild Mouse....

seoulland56_987.jpg

...but the layout looks nothing like a Mouse.

seoulland55_759.jpg

Hows that legroom Dave?

seoulland58_162.jpg

Just in case your pet rocket gets hungry...

seoulland61_161.jpg

Black Hole 2000 - No Intoxicated People!

seoulland60_169.jpg

I think the "Black Hole" portion of the ride are those death looking corkscrews right in the middle.

seoulland62_812.jpg

I can ride anything deadly as long as there are awesome chicken on sticks waiting for me at the exit!

seoulland64_159.jpg

Team "Sad and Pathetic" on the powered coaster!

seoulland65_470.jpg

I'm convinced that the Hi Roller must have been one of those Engineering "practical jokes" that accidentally made it into production!

seoulland69_792.jpg

This one really IS called "Kiddy Coaster!"

seoulland71_924.jpg

And now it's time for the star attraction at the park...the "Columbia Double Loop Coaster!" Rumor has it that this ride is HAUNTED!!!

seoulland72_849.jpg

"Let me know if you see any ghosts up there!"

seoulland74_168.jpg

Somewhere down there is an evil spirit just waiting to go "BOOGEY BOOGEY BOOGEY" at us!

seoulland01_106.jpg

Big train going into dark tunnel!

seoulland02_115.jpg

If you are under 18 years old don't look! This is COASTER PORN!!!

seoulland03_156.jpg

Inside the haunted tunnel the camera picks up nothing...just darkness...

seoulland04_203.jpg

But a little photoshop work tells a different story! OMG!!! It's the LADY IN WHITE!!! BOOGEY BOOGEY BOOGEY!!!!

And now for a VIDEO! Check out the "Columbia Double Loop" Video includnig the "Lady in White" on TPR TV:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/tprtv/play.php?vid=doubleloopingcoastercolumbia

seoulland14_779.jpg

Ok, time for us to blow this fish taco stand! On to the next park!
(We see you Jack Skellington knock-off!)

seoulland15_102.jpg

"I've got a long way to go and a short time to get there...."

seoulland17_370.jpg

What was the name of the park we are going to again?

seoulland18_240.jpg

Yes, it's grand...but where are the children?

seoulland20_153.jpg

Aha! They are riding the mouse that was CLOSED for us last year!

seoulland21_123.jpg

Can that little car support all that American weight?

seoulland22_124.jpg

Apparently....NOT!

seoulland24_999.jpg

Good thing that lift isn't steep or anything...

seoulland25_132.jpg

The story with this coaster is that they park bought it a few years ago and it was SBNO until about 8 weeks before our visit. Thanks guys for fixing it for us! =)

seoulland26_199.jpg

"Look I'll be honest...we're scared s**tless of this thing!"

seoulland28_207.jpg

Surprise drop!

seoulland34_346.jpg

88 Train has seen better days! =)

seoulland35_105.jpg

Yay! We saved one of the worst coasters in Korea for last!

seoulland36_873.jpg

And just when you think it's over...WHAM! There's more!

seoulland37_119.jpg

The train isn't in re-hab...that's what it looks like when it gets back into the station!!!! =)

seoulland39_862.jpg

Now that everyone has a case of crushed skulls it's time to head out!

seoulland41_196.jpg

We arrived for dinner "Amazing Race" taxi style. The last group to arrive wasn't allowed to eat.

seoulland42_199.jpg

Wait a second...is this dinner for humans or turtles? Where's the MEAT!!!

seoulland43_154.jpg

Ahh! Much better!

seoulland45_207.jpg

"Can we go to Japan now?"

Next up! TPR's Asia trip invades TOKYO!!!!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I've really only got two thing to say Robb: Thanks posting all this & Bring it on! :--D

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Yay! We have finally arrived in Tokyo! And this starts the Tokyo portion of the trip...DUH!

We got into Tokyo in the afternoon, checked into our hotel and then headed straight for some Intamin happiness...LaQua!

LaQua is located smack in the middle of Tokyo at a place known as the "Tokyo Dome City" where they have roller coasters, play baseball and you can do some shopping!

We stuck to mainly the roller coasters!

Anyway, onto some photos....

laqua_17_116.jpg

Here we are a Seoul's airport. Very exciting!

laqua_19_170.jpg

Hello Mr. Korean Airplane! Soon we will be violating you with our smells.

laqua_06_136.jpg

Can you imagine ANYTHING being "free of charge" at a US airport?

laqua_07_117.jpg

KidTums looks nice and comfy!

laqua_09_148.jpg

Dave is asleep...

laqua_08_805.jpg

Jeff is thinking happy thoughts.

laqua_25_153.jpg

Yay! We are here!

laqua_26_109.jpg

Hellllloooooo to our brand new cast of crazies!

laqua_32_772.jpg

Enough chit chat...let's ride some roller coasters!

laqua_11_122.jpg

First drop on Thunder Dolphin.

laqua_12_205.jpg

Splort! Goes the roller coaster coming out of the big hole!

laqua_01_180.jpg

Sexy overhead shot!

laqua_13_180.jpg

NINETY DEGREES!!!!

laqua_14_156.jpg

It's no Expedition GeForce or Superman, but it's still loads of fun!

laqua_24_235.jpg

Make sure you take everything, including your virginity, out of your pockets!

laqua_20_133.jpg

The spinning coaster is only for insane people...

laqua_16_983.jpg

Like these guys!

laqua_28_150.jpg

Linear Gale goes WHOOOOOSH!!!

laqua_15_168.jpg

And you end up with Edward Scissorhands hair!

laqua_21_811.jpg

This is where Japanese people hit balls around with sticks...

laqua_02_122.jpg

I TOLD YOU!
(BTW, the Giants is Dan's favorite team. Why don't you send him an email that says "GO GIANTS!!!" to mrt0ad13@aol.com)

laqua_29_146.jpg

A TPR safety tip to all little girls in pigtails.

laqua_30_633.jpg

Huh?

laqua_31_180.jpg

Remember kids...don't play with cigarette butts or balls....yeah.

Next up...Nasu Highland!

A

Anonymous

Looks Like You Had A Fantastic Time, Not Too Sure On Those Feet Though!!

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Our next day was Nasu Highland, Seibuen, Aqua Stadium, and the quest for Yakatori!

Some of you may remember the last time were at Nasu, we rode coasters in the SNOW! (Click that link if you don't remember!)

This time, no snow! But lots of ERT! In fact we had ERT on four of their coasters...including BIG BOOM which is like a Dive Machine...but not! Strange ride this one is (Why am I talking like Yoda...)

Anyway, this is a VERY photo heavy report since we visited three parks and had some fun in Tokyo. Enjoy!

nasuhighland_01.jpg

Our day started VERY early as Nasu Highland is a few hours outside of Tokyo. I wanted to teabag Joey but I wasn't allowed to. :(

nasuhighland_03.jpg

We made a quick stop at the services that had this AMAZING machine. Sure, it looked like a typical coffee or drink machine, but check out the screen. There is a small camera INSIDE the machine that shows you what's happening on the other side of the panel.

nasuhighland_02.jpg

It's completely unnecessary, but totally awesome! I love Japan!

nasuhighland_05.jpg

Here we are at Nasu! This time, there's no snow! =)

nasuhighland_06.jpg

Everyone ready for the Big Boom?

nasuhighland_10.jpg

Big Boom is kind of like a "poor mans SheiKra" in that the first drop really is near vertical. (that's it on the left)

nasuhighland_11.jpg

I still think that Nasu has the most "colorful" collection of coasters anywhere!

nasuhighland_12.jpg

Holy crap!!!

nasuhighland_13.jpg

"I know it's called Spin Turn, but it doesn't spin THAT much right....right?"

nasuhighland_88.jpg

OMFG! This ride spun more than almost ANYTHING else I've been on!!!

nasuhighland_42.jpg

Camel toe coaster!!!

nasuhighland_15.jpg

Jeff gives us his best camel toe impression (it's not a very good one)

nasuhighland_14.jpg

Camel toe coaster is pretty much one of those giant Japanese "Jet Coasters" - It's got to be at least 150 feet tall with lots of rampy hills. Not much airtime, but they are still fun rides.

nasuhighland_17.jpg

SIGNATURE MOVE!!!!

nasuhighland_18.jpg

Signature move FAIL!

nasuhighland_19.jpg

Hey what is F2?

nasuhighland_38.jpg

Ooooh....I'm really sorry guys!

nasuhighland_20.jpg

As far as SLC's go I don't think it was that bad.

nasuhighland_22.jpg

The boys are having a lot more fun on the Togo Death Machine flat ride!

nasuhighland_23.jpg

This is seriously one MESSED UP flat ride!

nasuhighland_24.jpg

"If you scan my shirt with your Japanese mobile phone it will take you to TPR!"

nasuhighland_51.jpg

PANIC!!! DRIVE!!!

nasuhighland_27.jpg

"Hey guys! You are not panicking enough!"

nasuhighland_28.jpg

It looks more like "Happy Happy Joy Joy Drive"

nasuhighland_29.jpg

Ok, they look slightly more freaked out.

nasuhighland_30.jpg

Up it's a powered coaster.

nasuhighland_31.jpg

Dirty, dirty whores!

nasuhighland_32.jpg

"Hey Chris, is that a real tiger?"

nasuhighland_34.jpg

Hi Joey...does this look familiar? It shouldn't!

nasuhighland_35.jpg

It's like the double decker carousel from the Great America parks...but kind of looks like a mix between a rocket ship and a birthday cake with swans and random animals on the top...I LOVE JAPAN!!!

nasuhighland_36.jpg

Speaking of bizarre things in the park - you can go fishing...yes, it's true, you can fish at Nasu Highland!

nasuhighland_37.jpg

The little dude in the shack down there will give you all your fishing equipment.

nasuhighland_25.jpg

And when you are done...LUNCH TIME!

nasuhighland_39.jpg

Random Camel Toe Coaster Photo!

nasuhighland_40.jpg

For those of you who remember the SBNO coaster "Lightning" from our last update...

nasuhighland_41.jpg

It's gone.

nasuhighland_43.jpg

BIG BOOOOOOM!!!

nasuhighland_44.jpg

It's got one giant intense loop!

nasuhighland_45.jpg

It's like Twisted Sisters but with a lot less suckiness! =)

nasuhighland_46.jpg

OMFG! Yeah, the drop obviously isn't as steep as some of the dive machines, but holy crap it's scary!

nasuhighland_47.jpg

Hello Big Boom, how are you doing?

nasuhighland_91.jpg

Cute, yes?

nasuhighland_49.jpg

Cute, no?

nasuhighland_90.jpg

I just love how impressive the lower half of this park looks. Seriously that coaster collection down there is awesome! And thanks to the fantastic use of color you can make out each coaster easily!

nasuhighland_50.jpg

Thank you Nasu Highland!!!

nasuhighland_52.jpg

I hear that the tuna melts here KICK ASS!!!

nasuhighland_53.jpg

Everyone crashes out on our way to the next park.

nasuhighland_54.jpg

SEXY!!!

nasuhighland_55.jpg

Hey! Let's go visit Hanno!

nasuhighland_71.jpg

Our next stop was Seibuen. A smaller park in the middle of nowhere with a couple of credits (well, they have one, I think...)

nasuhighland_56.jpg

OMG! I've died and gone to capsule machine heaven!

nasuhighland_57.jpg

We're mostly "screwed"

nasuhighland_58.jpg

Here is the coaster with the most BIZARRE queue ever!

nasuhighland_61.jpg

Here is the queue...yes that's right...you sit down! They fill up a row of seats and then they tell you to stand up and board the train! WTF?!?!?

nasuhighland_62.jpg

Did we mention that for whatever reason they totally segregated us from the other Japanese (do you blame them???) They put all the westerners in one row and the Japanese in the others. Then they boarded us last! It was actually pretty damn funny!!!

nasuhighland_59.jpg

Oh, yeah, and it has a loop too...

nasuhighland_60.jpg

Just in case you've already forgotten what coaster we are talking about. (We see you Jewy!!!)

nasuhighland_63.jpg

And the trains were even CARPETED!!! How very shag of them!

nasuhighland_64.jpg

For you coaster nerds, here's the layout and some random info.

nasuhighland_65.jpg

The Baby swap gets Elissa and Leon the front row!

nasuhighland_66.jpg

It's very cute, very Hello Kitty, but very whorish!

nasuhighland_67.jpg

Yup.

nasuhighland_68.jpg

It's like a mini-Harmonyland!

nasuhighland_69.jpg

"I love you almost as much as rodents!"

nasuhighland_70.jpg

"Hey Barry! The lady gay crapped on my pants!"

nasuhighland_72.jpg

"I'm a sad, sad panda."

nasuhighland_73.jpg

Next stop...Aqua Stadium! (Today was a busy, busy day!)

nasuhighland_86.jpg

Because you can just never have enough Galaxy Express with the 15 minute pre-show!

nasuhighland_74.jpg

TPR TAKEOVER of this bizarre Intamin indoor launched coaster!

nasuhighland_75.jpg

Ok, next stop...the boys go on a search for Yakatori!

nasuhighland_76.jpg

Shibuya is the destination of choice!

nasuhighland_77.jpg

For Yakatori, follow this sign!

nasuhighland_78.jpg

Head towards the building with the lights on it.

nasuhighland_84.jpg

GO THIS WAY!!!

nasuhighland_80.jpg

Gentlemen, we have SCORED!!! (It's also right across the street from the Disney Store if that helps!)

nasuhighland_82.jpg

"I like meat on stick more than sex....I think...."

nasuhighland_83.jpg

Bob doesn't look so angry when he's eating dead animal flesh. Yum!

nasuhighland_81.jpg

Cheers for a kick ass day full of coasters, meat on a stick, and beer! WE LOVE JAPAN!!!!