What's new

Port Aventura questions?

Ollie

CF Legend
What's the cheapest way for a trip to Port Aventura during the summer holidays?

-I take it it's best to fly with Ryan-Air but how much would it cost?

-How far away is the park from the airport and is there a bus service? Or is it better to hire a car?

-Where's the cheapest and best place near the park to stay overnight?

-Is there anyway to get cheap offers on park tickets like 241s or discounts with Merlin Annual Passes?

-How busy will the park be in the summer and how many days would you recommend in the park to get everything done?

-Are there any other parks worth doing and how close are they?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to persuade my dad to take us to PA as we haven't been there yet and obviously the cheaper it is the more likely it is we can go.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

nealbie

CF Legend
Ryanair, what for an offer.

Not long, take a taxi.

There's a campsite literally the other side of the carriageway. Lovely views of Condor and Khan from there, plus they have cabins for those less adventurous.

Aforementioned campsite runs bogofs/reduced offers when you stay with them.

2 days (if you really want to, 3)

Get the train to Madrid ;)

Thank-you for flying NealAir :p

Ollie

CF Legend
How much roughly will a taxi cost to get there?
And what sort of price would you be looking at in total for flights, travel and park entrance for four people?

Smithy

Strata Poster
Umm, off the top of my head, the taxi wasn't expensive, but wasn't cheap. I don't want to say for sure, but thirty quidish.

And Brad is right, there's nothing that compares to staying in the hotels (plus you get fast track tickets and free passes into the park), but it's also very expensive to do so. If you shop around and do it on a budget you can get flights for four for less than £100 easily, probably save £50 to cover travel, and then park entrance I have no clue. Someone who's done it bit by bit rather than a pacakge will be able to help you more though.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Thirty quid for a 15 minute taxi journey, I'd say that is bloody expensive! Thats worse than the £25 I paid to go from Heathrow to Slough!

Ollie to get the best deal with flights, book well in advance. Last september I looked at going from Stanstead to Rues this May, total cost for 2 of us, return, was £70!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Stay in Barcelona and do it as a day trip. The train from the city doesn't take too long (direct, no transfers to worry about) and is cheaper than the taxi from the airport option.

Barcelona is fab! Then you can also take an easy trip to Tibidabo, which is a really quirky little park with amazing views over the city and an excellent horror walk-through, which I'm sure you'd love.

Without looking at hotel prices at Port Aventura, I'm guessing that you'd find a place to stay in the city more cheaply. I managed to get a place for around 25 Euro a night. Not such a great place, but the location was perfect for seeing Barcelona and for the Tibidabo bus and train for PA.

Is one day at PA enough? I would say yes, simply because there's really not a great deal there. Even if it's really busy, I don't see why you wouldn't get the coasters and Hurakan Condor done. Flat ride wise, there's **** all else there really.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Well, realistically, you'd be able to get them done, too, in one day:

Khan
Baco
Stampida x 2
Tomahawk
That mine train
Tami Tami
Hurakan
Tutuki Splash
Rapids

That's about it, isn't it? Oh, and that really crappy simulator thing I suppose.

The park should be open until late during the summer holidays as well, so there'd be plenty of time to ride everything.

It might just be me, but the idea of going all the way there, just to stay on site and see one park isn't my idea of a good time.

There's nothing wrong with it if that's what you're after I suppose, but I'll never understand going to DLP, for example, and staying at Disney for a week, and seeing nothing of Paris. Same thing for PA with Barcelona.

Plus, Tibidabo is well worth the visit, especially for someone who likes horror mazes. Kruger Hotel is the best one I've done after Haunted Hospital.

nealbie

CF Legend
gavin said:
The park should be open until late during the summer holidays as well, so there'd be plenty of time to ride everything.

Fair point well made, didn't think of that :p

I still think during the summer you'd need 2 days to do it at a nice relaxing "holiday" pace. But you are right, it's about doable in 1 day :)

marc

CF Legend
I know a few people that have tried to do the park in a day in the summer and did not get on everything due to queues and ride break downs.

Are you going to stay onsite? if you do you get the queue jump tickets that will help.

Ollie

CF Legend
Haven't decided yet. Going to collect information and then let my dad know and then hope he decides we can have a trip there. :p

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
If you want to take on the park more than a smash and grab credit run, then two days...

Nice park, but the locals do indeed make it a bit frustrating...

They probs still have a hell load of shows as well...

Barca is ok... But it can be a bit of a dump in some places, like many capital cities...

Depends really on how long the holiday in total is...

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
gavin said:
Is one day at PA enough? I would say yes, simply because there's really not a great deal there. Even if it's really busy, I don't see why you wouldn't get the coasters and Hurakan Condor done. Flat ride wise, there's all else there really.

ahh - another one who thinks PA was overrated

^Well, realistically, you'd be able to get them done, too, in one day:

Khan
Baco
Stampida x 2
Tomahawk
That mine train
Tami Tami
Hurakan
Tutuki Splash
Rapids

That's about it, isn't it? Oh, and that really crappy simulator thing I suppose.

well - there's the log flume, which I thought was one of the best rides there!

It was seriously crowded when I went 2 years ago - got most done, buit that was with the express passes.

Plus, Tibidabo is well worth the visit, especially for someone who likes horror mazes. Kruger Hotel is the best one I've done after Haunted Hospital.

I liked tibidabo too - the new vekoma looks niiiiiice!

ps - have you been on the horror maze at parque de attractions madrid - that was LEGEND!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^ I never managed to get to Madrid, unfortunately. I was intending to, but ha to scale back my Spain trip because of a lack of cash. And yeah, the Vekoma at Tibidabo is actually pretty good.

^Kruger Hotel at Tibidabo is open year round as far as I know, but only at certain times of the day. At least that was the case when I was there, but that was a rainy day in March, when the park was only open at weekends. I'm pretty sure it's open every day during the summer.

Tony

Hyper Poster
Flights to Reus with Ryanair in July cost around £60 atm from Stansted. Port Aventura is only around 10-15min max from the airport and taxi's cost around €25-€30.

Sol Costa Dorada hotel is a cheaper alternative to the Port Aventura Hotels. It's located right across the road from Port Aventura's own Caribe hotel so it's a short walk to the park. If you'd rather stay in a cheap hotel somewhere around Salou then there are regular buses to the park and it's even walkable.

If you choose to fly into Barcelona, you can get the train to Port Aventura. It only cost us around €5 at the time from the airport but you have to change in the city which was a little confusing and we ended up on the wrong train. It takes around an hour, maybe a little less. Port Aventura has it's own train station so it's only a short walk then to the entrance.

The park could be done in a day especially when they open until midnight in peak summer season. If you arrive early and wait for the gates to open, I'd go straight to Furius Baco. The park opens the other sections around half an hour or something after opening. By the time you get off Baco the other areas should be open so head straight to the back of the park and get on Khan. It should be walk-on so maybe get a few re-rides and the same with Hurakan Condor. This way you should have the 3 main rides done very early so you have plenty of time to get on everything else. The park seems hit or miss with crowds in summer. Some days it can be extremely packed with most rides topping 2 hour queues or more, while others it may just be around 40mins.

I'm not aware of any big deals, I just got a 3 day / 2 park ticket which was around €67 at the time. It has risen to €76 since then but regular 1 day admission is €44.